• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comic-Con 2005?

278 posts in this topic

Since I'm not planning on attending through Sunday, I thought of a potential issue. If I want CGC to do some on site grading, and I drop them off Thursday morning (unless they're accepting submissions Wednesday night), when can I expect to pick them up?

Since I'm not planning on attending through Sunday, I thought of a potential issue. If I want CGC to do some on site grading, and I drop them off Thursday morning (unless they're accepting submissions Wednesday night), when can I expect to pick them up?

You can't. They are not doing any on-site grading in San Diego. You can drop your books off in SD and save on shipping to CGC, but that is it.

You can't. They are not doing any on-site grading in San Diego. You can drop your books off in SD and save on shipping to CGC, but that is it.

frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Why wouldn't they do SD? How can you do other crappy cons, and not SD?!?!

frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Maybe it IS the sheer size of SD that deters? There may be too much biz to handle? Justathought.

Maybe it IS the sheer size of SD that deters? There may be too much biz to handle? Justathought.

They shouldn't really do it at any cons given their turnaround time.

makepoint.gif

Steve explained this in a different thread. It has to do with the fact that they had shipping problems for their equipment when they did the show in LA or SF (can't remember which one it was). They ended up not getting the stuff back until mid week after the show so it hurt their grading back in FL. This problem has prompted Steve to only do On-Site grading for a few cons on the east coast. Yet again us left coasters are getting screwed 893naughty-thumb.gif

I think another reason is that the Wizard sponsored cons provide CGC with a free room/space in the convention center for all their equipment and to do their work. I believe that the San Diego con would not provide the space to CGC unless they paid for it, which can get quite expensive, so they opted out. Something like that.

In my opinion it would be wise for SD to provide the same free space as CGC on-site grading is another promotional tool to drive up attendance (not that SD needs higher attendance though). The SD con is soooo huge that they can really pick and choose their sponsors and not worry about attracting a huge attendance.

That makes sense. Sucks for me. I've been gathering books to take. Guess I'll have to figure out how to send them in.

Go to the Heritage or Metropolis websites to get your 20% off grading fees. All the instructions for submitting and order forms are there too. OR, just drop them off in SD and CGC will mail them back after the normal turnaround time. But if you do that, go through one of the websites mentioned above and go through the entire routine and print out your order form with discount. Then just bring your books, the form and the cash for payment to SD and you'll be set.

OR, just drop them off in SD and CGC will mail them back after the normal turnaround time. But if you do that, go through one of the websites mentioned above and go through the entire routine and print out your order form with discount. Then just bring your books, the form and the cash for payment to SD and you'll be set.

Maybe I'll do that. Good plan. thumbsup2.gif

That makes sense. Sucks for me. I've been gathering books to take. Guess I'll have to figure out how to send them in.

I will happily submit your moderns for you in Philly or all your books in Chicago. I'm driving to Philly, so I can get a ton of books slabbed (literally!)

I will happily submit your moderns for you in Philly or all your books in Chicago. I'm driving to Philly, so I can get a ton of books slabbed (literally!)

Do you get them back at the con? What's the first year for a modern?

sorry.gif

guess i wont make it out this year

Lots of other forumites going and those who do have nearby hotel rooms are paying dearly for them. Spread the word if you want that you'll sleep on a rented cot and split the room charge with anyone who is willing. confused-smiley-013.gif Where there is a will, there is a way.

Christo_pull_hair.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

are there no available hotels near the CC?

Just a suggestion: If you stay at a hotel near a Trolley station, you can take the trolley right to the convention center (it stops right in front of the convention center, all you have to do is cross the street). You could book a hotel or motel as far east as the intersection of I-15 and I-8 (right where Qualcomm Stadium is) and catch the trolley. It runs 24/7.

I live in the area and have found the Trolley to be more convienant than fighting traffic coming in and leaving the con, and will cost about as much as a parking space (if you find one). Not to mention the wait in line to pay for the parking space.

Just MHO. hi.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

Just a suggestion: If you stay at a hotel near a Trolley station, you can take the trolley right to the convention center (it stops right in front of the convention center, all you have to do is cross the street). You could book a hotel or motel as far east as the intersection of I-15 and I-8 (right where Qualcomm Stadium is) and catch the trolley. It runs 24/7.

I live in the area and have found the Trolley to be more convienant than fighting traffic coming in and leaving the con, and will cost about as much as a parking space (if you find one). Not to mention the wait in line to pay for the parking space.

Just MHO. hi.gif

Why don't you just keep him in your secret room? poke2.gif

Christo_pull_hair.gif

893censored-thumb.gif

Just MHO. hi.gif

Why don't you just keep him in your secret room? poke2.gif

He'll wake up The Gimp !!! makepoint.gif

Here's a link for hotels and the trolley stations Link