• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to talk about San Diego Comic-Con 2005?

278 posts in this topic

For anyone flying in from the Northwest I found that Alaska Air has by far the best deals. Just booked a non-stop round trip from Seattle for $287. Most others were $50-75 more.

guest list was updated a bit today (or this past weekend)

Forrest J. Ackerman

Lalo Alcaraz

Lee Ames

Murphy Anderson

Sergio Aragonés

David B.

Sy Barry

Bob Bolling

Ray Bradbury

Tim Bruckner

J. Scott Campbell

Gene Colan

Greg Evans

Bob Fujitani

Juanjo Guarnido

Pia Guerra

Ray Harryhausen

Robert Jordan

David Lapham

Jim Lee

Scott McCloud

Richard Morgan

Gary Panter

George Pérez

Eric Powell

J. J. Sedelmaier

Lou Scheimer

Kevin Smith

Dave Stevens

J. Michael Straczynski

Dexter Taylor

Michael Turner

Jhonen Vasquez

Brian K. Vaughan

Jim Warren

Bill Willingham

Marv Wolfman

I just got my San Diego Con magazin/report in the mail today. Got me all excited for the event again. It gives a sneak peak at the exclusives that will be at the con. Toys (airplanes) might be on my shopping list now 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It also has the regular stuff you can find on the website such as Special Guests and Exhibitors. I thought the interview with Tim Burton was interesting. He said that he went to a few of the cons with he was younger. Odd considering his quote that's in my sig line.

Anyway... One month to go. grin.gif

This thread's been curiously quiet 2 weeks before the con. I've been checking out all the exclusives lately, trying to decide my flipping strategy. A few items have been purchased pre-sale, sold on eBay, and paid for - providing more funds for Comic-Con.

This thread's been curiously quiet 2 weeks before the con. I've been checking out all the exclusives lately, trying to decide my flipping strategy. A few items have been purchased pre-sale, sold on eBay, and paid for - providing more funds for Comic-Con.

Rob, what are you looking to buy for flipping? Not trying to hone in on your strategy so you don't need to be specific, just curious how other flippers flip. My basic strategy is to just find more copies of the books that I like for a considerable amount cheaper than I think I can sell them for. But since I only flip what I like, it's a fun process. laugh.gif

Anyone know how late the Trolley runs? I don't want to drive to the convention, but if they shut it down too early I may have to on Saturday because of the forum dinner. If the Trolley runs late then I can have a drink or three at the dinner.

Rob, what are you looking to buy for flipping? Not trying to hone in on your strategy so you don't need to be specific, just curious how other flippers flip. My basic strategy is to just find more copies of the books that I like for a considerable amount cheaper than I think I can sell them for. But since I only flip what I like, it's a fun process. laugh.gif

Oh, I meant the exclusive figures. Not looking to flip comics. I'm not sure prices at the con would warrant much profit. But the las time I went, in '03, I flipped $20 exclusive figures for $100 on eBay all day long. I'm looking forward to the Yoda saber and the Edwards Scissorhands doll. However, pre-sale eBay prices aren't as high as I'd like. Maybe the risk of it not being in hand is keeping prices from reaching higher levels.

From my experiences there are definitely deals to be had in San Diego. I'm not talking about GA or the big dollar books, but books in my price range ($100 and less) I find great deals all over. Certainly not from every dealer but there are always a few dealers that undergrade, are having big sales, don't have certain books marked up due to renewed interest, little dealers just blowing out books and etc. People keep talking about how high prices are in San Diego, and in many cases that is correct. But at least 75% of what I buy I consider underpriced or I wouldn't buy it, and I buy alot of nice stuff.

The Programming schedule is up. I didn't think I'd really be interested in any of the events going on, but I found about 5 every day (other than sunday) that I'm thinking of going to. Thursday and Friday seem to be the best days with Kevin Smith being my big highlight on Saturday (and the Forum dinner). Do you guys tend to go to many of these programs?

The Programming schedule is up. I didn't think I'd really be interested in any of the events going on, but I found about 5 every day (other than sunday) that I'm thinking of going to. Thursday and Friday seem to be the best days with Kevin Smith being my big highlight on Saturday (and the Forum dinner). Do you guys tend to go to many of these programs?

I haven't checked out the program guide yet but I have been to many panels in the past. Ten years ago when I was more of a "fanboy" I would go to several of the new comic panels (What's new with Batman, Todd McFarlane Speaks about his Action Figure line, etc. that type stuff) but I'm not into current comics anymore so I don't go to nearly as many. I also avoid the big celebrity events. But when I see something remotely relating to the business of comics or something out of the ordinary (like Esquire's panel) then I am right up there. Also, when I'm tired of walking around for hours upon hours it is nice to just take a break and sit in on a panel. The last time I did that though was a panel comparing the "old" Godzilla to the "new" Godzilla. I probably would have been better off staring at the wall. Funny though how passionate some people are about some topics.

Out of curiosity... do many of the dealers there take credit cards or is it mostly a cash thing?

Most seem to take credit cards, but just to warn you - a lot of dealers will charge you sales tax if you pay by credit card. Cash is the preferred method with most dealers.

For those of you who have been before... how long do you normally have to wait in line on Preview Night? I have some friends that went last year and they said well over an hour. Is this about right?