• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman artists - Commissions

23 posts in this topic

Who are some of the well known Superman artists that still do commissions? I tried contacting Jurgens, but was told he isn't currently doing commissions. I know Ordway does commissions, but would probably have him ink than pencil. Same with Brett Breeding. I know Ron Frenz worked on Superman for several years during the Death of Superman years. I tried contacting Tom Grummett, but his rep at Comic Art Shop has not responded to my inquiry yet.

I'm looking for the classic, non long hair Superman of the 80s and 90s, but any artist can do that. Again looking for artists that are known for their work on Superman and still do commissions.

I was able to get a Superman sketch by Kerry Gammill late last year, took awhile to arrive but it was worth the wait. I do see sketch opps for Jurgens pop up once or twice a year in the SS forum, haven't had a chance to get in on one of those yet.

John Byrne does commissions via his dealer/website, he'd be my #1 pick to go after for a commission of known published Superman artists.

I believe John Bogdanove, who illustrated parts of "The Death of Superman" does commissions, at minimum @ his convention appearances.

Norm Rapmund who inked over many artists including Ian Churchill does commissions @ convention appearances, does fantastic primary pencil, ink as well as color work.

John Byrne does commissions via his dealer/website, he'd be my #1 pick to go after for a commission of known published Superman artists.

I believe John Bogdanove, who illustrated parts of "The Death of Superman" does commissions, at minimum @ his convention appearances.

Norm Rapmund who inked over many artists including Ian Churchill does commissions @ convention appearances, does fantastic primary pencil, ink as well as color work.

Another great choice, and easy to get a commission. You just gotta pay.

d6o3buDn_2102142224381.jpg

He's definitely more expensive than some, cheaper than others. I don't think you could get a comparable Superman page from him for anything close to the price of a commission.

Wow Dan, who don't you have!? Comparable no, a superman page, yes.

Get jurgens at a show. He is extremely affordable. Grummett is always a choice and seems to open his list often. Otherwise art thibert is an alternative and worked on alot of his classics. He's definitely stepped up his art game. Or if you are lucky try Perez and see if he may accommodate you.

From what I'm hearing is to get them at shows, but they very seldom come to Toronto. Byron would be great, but is extremely expensive and Grummetts art dealer Byron on Comic Art Shop is not responding to his emails, unless anyone has another contact for Grummett.

Does anyone have Bogdanove's contact?

Captain..

Take a look at my CAF Gallery. It is entirely Superman commissions from both known and lesser known artists.

I did have Ordway do me a piece last year and it is one of my favorites. Awesome guy to work with!

Let me know if you have questions

Dan

Thanks Dan, as much as I like Ordway and want something from him, his prices seem very high, around $500 for a single figure, no background, that's Byrne prices. With some artists, it's cheaper at times to purchase a published page or a prelim or commission they have done from an art dealer than an original piece from them. :(

Jose Delbo had some fantastic sketches with him while he appeared in Belfast, very good rates $140 for a full figure coloured I got the Spidey one. He is a very nice man and a pleasure to talk too, he also had a series of original art with him that I was able to look at in detail including the Superman dailies and a few pages from DC Ghosts.

I agree Delbo does nice work. I have so far contacted Jurgens, Grummett, Gammill, Breeding, Perez, Garcia-Lopez, Byrne, Ordway, Frenz, Rubinstein and McLeod. All have worked on Superman, some more well known for their Superman work than others. Jurgens, Perez and Garcia-Lopez aren't either currently doing commissions or at home commissions. Have not heard back from Gammill. Grummett, Breeding, Frenz, Rubinstein and McLeod are reasonable priced. Ordway and Byrne are at the high end, especially if you want full figure with background.