• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George R.R. Martin discusses his love of comics at SDCC

38 posts in this topic

Did a search and didn't see that anyone had posted this yet.

Interesting little clip. He talks about his love of the Avengers and how impressionable it was on him as a kid. Specifically the story of Wonderman and how it led him to think about "gray" characters, or ones that are not completely good or evil.

And then he goes on to praise Stan Lee. I expect all you Kirby lovers out there will start hating GRRM after watching this. Right about at 2:09... :slapfight:

He talks later about how he is a long time SDCC attendee including back during the time when it was just people selling comics. lol He also says he has a nice silver age collection.

Lastly, he is not a fan of slabs. He says they infuriate him.

I search any news for the release of Winds of Winter every single day and I stumbled across this. Enjoy.

Avengers 9 and FF 20! That is awesome. Looks like I will be pulling my copy of 20 out today to check it out. That would be a really cool SS book!

I wonder what his silver age collection contains...

I remember GRRM at a SDCC booth and his publicist desparately trying to give away free copies of his book to cosplayers and comic-con attendees, but no 1 would stop at his table. This was WAY before the Game of Thrones tv series though. I had no idea who he was.

Avengers 9 and FF 20! That is awesome. Looks like I will be pulling my copy of 20 out today to check it out. That would be a really cool SS book!

I wonder what his silver age collection contains...

I think you mean Avengers #12

You're right. That would make more sense since the Wonder Man story was in issue 10.

So one would have to assume that his silver age collection contains most if not all the early ff and avengers books.

I am guessing he must have been what, about 14 when he wrote those? He is in his early 60s now?

So one would have to assume that his silver age collection contains most if not all the early ff and avengers books.

I am guessing he must have been what, about 14 when he wrote those? He is in his early 60s now?

yep

George Raymond Martin

September 20, 1948 (age 66)

Bayonne, New Jersey, USA

I just finished reading the marvel.com interview of GRRM Anfield Fox posted on page 1. It was good.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/18400/the_marvel_life_george_r_r_martin

He actually interviewed to be a writer for marvel. They didn't hire him. Good thing. If he had stayed a comic book writer, GoT may never have come about.

I bet his collection is well read, if OO.