• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George R.R. Martin discusses his love of comics at SDCC

38 posts in this topic

I can't say enough about them. The show is great, don't get me wrong but it is just impossible to cover all of what happens in the books and you miss out on inner monologue. An advantage the books have is that they go inside of the characters thought process. The advantage the show has is that scenes are not bound by character viewpoints.

I finished Dance of Dragons (the 5th and most recent book) at the end of 2012 and I love that there is the show to keep me excited but I am dying to read the 6th book. I search for news on it nearly daily and get the same old click bait articles rehashing other click bait articles that twist truth into misleading headlines. :mad:

I can't say enough about them. The show is great, don't get me wrong but it is just impossible to cover all of what happens in the books and you miss out on inner monologue. An advantage the books have is that they go inside of the characters thought process. The advantage the show has is that scenes are not bound by character viewpoints.

I finished Dance of Dragons (the 5th and most recent book) at the end of 2012 and I love that there is the show to keep me excited but I am dying to read the 6th book. I search for news on it nearly daily and get the same old click bait articles rehashing other click bait articles that twist truth into misleading headlines. :mad:

I'm not sure if I want to invest into any more of the books. Frankly the man is 66, at least a good 60 pounds overweight and I imagine there isn't a whole lot of physical activity in being George R.R. Martin famous author.

His kicking the bucket before the books are finished is a real possibility.

I'm not sure if I want to invest into any more of the books. Frankly the man is 66, at least a good 60 pounds overweight and I imagine there isn't a whole lot of physical activity in being George R.R. Martin famous author.

That certainly is a risk. It could be another Robert Jordan situation. :eek:

That certainly is a risk. It could be another Robert Jordan situation. :eek:

I always wondered how much is Jordan in those last few wheel of time books.

Would have to agree. Show is great but the book series is amazing. The first book is easily in my top 5 all time fantasy novels. Couldn't put it down.

Would have to agree. Show is great but the book series is amazing. The first book is easily in my top 5 all time fantasy novels. Couldn't put it down.

The first 3 books were all page turners. Couldn't put any of them down.

Book 4 was tough to get through especially the way he separated the geography between that and book 5. I really enjoyed book 5 though. In fact, I just finished re-reading it just recently.

Book 4 was tough to get through especially the way he separated the geography between that and book 5. I really enjoyed book 5 though. In fact, I just finished re-reading it just recently.

I've had Book 5 since it came out and I still haven't read it yet. :blush:

You're right about Book 4 though. The Cersei chapters were the interesting ones. Other than that, it was rather blah. I believe Tup said it basically amounted to the "Adventures of the Maid of Tarth" or something along those lines.

Did a search and didn't see that anyone had posted this yet.

Interesting little clip. He talks about his love of the Avengers and how impressionable it was on him as a kid. Specifically the story of Wonderman and how it led him to think about "gray" characters, or ones that are not completely good or evil.

And then he goes on to praise Stan Lee. I expect all you Kirby lovers out there will start hating GRRM after watching this. Right about at 2:09... :slapfight:

He talks later about how he is a long time SDCC attendee including back during the time when it was just people selling comics. lol He also says he has a nice silver age collection.

Lastly, he is not a fan of slabs. He says they infuriate him.

I search any news for the release of Winds of Winter every single day and I stumbled across this. Enjoy.

He's 66 and overweight, his discomfort level with slabs is understandable. :gossip:

Interesting little clip. He talks about his love of the Avengers and how impressionable it was on him as a kid. Specifically the story of Wonderman and how it led him to think about "gray" characters, or ones that are not completely good or evil.

And then he goes on to praise Stan Lee. I expect all you Kirby lovers out there will start hating GRRM after watching this. Right about at 2:09... :slapfight:

He talks later about how he is a long time SDCC attendee including back during the time when it was just people selling comics. lol He also says he has a nice silver age collection.

I search any news for the release of Winds of Winter every single day and I stumbled across this. Enjoy.

He's 66 and overweight, his discomfort level with slabs is understandable. :gossip:

???

What's he doing with those slabs?

I've read all of the books, they're amazing. I would suggest reading book 4 and book 5 separately as they were released, but if you haven't ever read them combined as they were originally intended before Martin separated them into two manuscripts you should. Brings an entirely new level to them.

Combined reading order for a Feast for Crows & A Dance with Dragons.

You're right about Book 4 though. The Cersei chapters were the interesting ones. Other than that, it was rather blah. I believe Tup said it basically amounted to the "Adventures of the Maid of Tarth" or something along those lines.

Needless to say, I highly recommend it. You definitely should read it before season 5 starts next spring!

Needless to say, I highly recommend it. You definitely should read it before season 5 starts next spring!

Yeah, I know. I just need to do it. I took it to the beach with me a few months back and ended up reading Dan Brown's Inferno instead. :blush:

Yeah that got old.

He needs to get back to writing.

I can understand his hatred of slabs too. Anyone who grew up reading comics can have that view easily.

???

What's he doing with those slabs?

:facepalm:

article-0-0F558A7500000578-581_634x639.jpg

:jokealert: