• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck Does it Again!!!!!

97 posts in this topic

I heard that sales from this month shattered all previous month's sales.

P.S. All back issues are 60% off

Which isn't that impressive when you realize that the prices on many back issues were raised to compensate for said discount. His prices were still above FMV even with the hefty deduction.

Which isn't that impressive when you realize that the prices on many back issues were raised to compensate for said discount. His prices were still above FMV even with the hefty deduction.

Trust me I know the drill.... Got it from the man himself. I do think the system is semi-impressive. The pricing is based on quantity of issues on hand. So anything you see for less than FMV means that have a ton of copies available. Its all automatic.

What is impressive are people paying $3-$10 for books that can be found in .50/$1 bins.

And fire up that sarcasm meter when you read my previous post. If you join the mailing list you get 2 stories a week and they always follow the same format.

Intro (usually how well things are going)

semi-dramatic event (death in family, new roof, etc, etc)

Oh yeah everything is 50-80% off

And the sale is being extended just for you.

Its quite entertaining and I highly recommend it.

they always follow the same format.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Trust me I know the drill.... Got it from the man himself. I do think the system is semi-impressive. The pricing is based on quantity of issues on hand. So anything you see for less than FMV means that have a ton of copies available. Its all automatic.

What is impressive are people paying $3-$10 for books that can be found in .50/$1 bins.

And fire up that sarcasm meter when you read my previous post. If you join the mailing list you get 2 stories a week and they always follow the same format.

I've got to check this out - thanks for the tip!

No emoticon wars in this thread! sumo.gif

Only Chuckles related anecdotes and hearsay.

I actually have no axe to grind with Chuck; I haven't ever bought from him because the pricing/grading I see on his site just hasn't appealed to me.

But I do have an anecdote. I was at the Frankfurt Book Fair a couple years ago and he was there giving his presentation about online comic sales, ebay, Mile High, and even *gasp* online comic books! 893whatthe.gif

It cracked me up because he's telling this audience all about his "predictions" for online business, AS IF IT HAD JUST STARTED the day before!!! I mean, ebay has been around for a while, you know? The great thing was the way he explained how online commerce had actually DRIVEN UP the price of mid-grade Silver Age books, and of course his own personal sales were proof. Ebay didn't count because "it's a wholesale outlet" not a true retail outlet (which is in part true). It was like an infomercial for MH. I was expecting Tony Little to pop out any moment.

Tony: "So what you're saying, Chuck, is that Mile High's prices only SEEM high because when you compare them to "other" sales media like ebay where books sell far under guide prices, those sales are on a wholesale medium, not a retail medium, so they don't really count?! Wow, why hadn't I thought of THAT!??"

The thing that REALLY cracked me up was that there were about 15 comic fans listening to him, but there was this one reporter who was feverishly writing down everything and taking pictures of him. I can just see the headlines now:

"Famous Pedigree Comic Retailer Invents Online Comic Sales Strategy!"

I have to hand it to the guy, though. For all the ribbing he gets on these boards, he sells a TON of comics. He's a great promoter of his own cause, and there's something to be said for that. And I do love the story about the Edgar Church collection. What an experience.

Nope.

Now it's 50-80% off Marvels with 10% of the gross going to UNICEF

With some DC, Image, DH, and Independants being 40-80% off.

You've got to hand it to the guy.

He has been at this for how many years now?

He seems to keep the money rolling in.

If you join the mailing list you get 2 stories a week and they always follow the same format.

and dont forget the Family Photo Album section!!

...I saw him kill a man once using just his bare hands and a bolo tie,... blush.gif

Rocket - - this post was the funniest segue post Ive ever read here... Coming straighfaced right after serious Chuck posts (coupled with the next few similar Paul Bunyanesque Chuck exploits) just sent me literally ROFL

thank You! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

hey-- someone add pigtails ti the applause icon so it looks even MORE like our very own Happy Chuckle icon....PLEASE!!!

The thing that REALLY cracked me up was that there were about 15 comic fans listening to him, but there was this one reporter who was feverishly writing down everything and taking pictures of him. I can just see the headlines now:

yeah. Seeing that stuff when a reporter out of their element "learn" new facts and then "report" on it as gospel scares me for when I read about things I know little about. If they get comics THAT wrong, how believable should ANYTHING else I read be?

I have to hand it to the guy, though. For all the ribbing he gets on these boards, he sells a TON of comics. He's a great promoter of his own cause, and there's something to be said for that. And I do love the story about the Edgar Church collection. What an experience.

He seems to generate a lot of sales dollars...and we know he buys teh comics for pennies from dealers too tired to lug their boxes home unsold from conventions.... but I still question his profitability given his other expenses and his CONSTANT need for money... He does seem to own a lot of other stuff personally though: pottery, the farm etc. But there again on the farm, if he's rolling in dough, why is HE out there at 4AM planting seeds? Perhaos he's just driven to work like a dog... but if he could afford to pay people to do all the menial stuff, why wouldnt he just supervise, not slave away at risk to hi shealth, and exposing himself to muggers and the dangers of the open road in ricketty old trucks???

It just doesnt add up for me...

...he fends off a would-be mugger...He escapes with a flesh wound...called a racist by said assailant...gets into a heated exchange with the 911 operator...gets basically snubbed by the officer...gets a violent case of diarrhea and the dry heaves...

Chuck the victim...hard life, eh? 27_laughing.gif

yeah. Seeing that stuff when a reporter out of their element "learn" new facts and then "report" on it as gospel scares me for when I read about things I know little about. If they get comics THAT wrong, how believable should ANYTHING else I read be?

He seems to generate a lot of sales dollars...and we know he buys teh comics for pennies from dealers too tired to lug their boxes home unsold from conventions.... but I still question his profitability given his other expenses and his CONSTANT need for money... He does seem to own a lot of other stuff personally though: pottery, the farm etc. But there again on the farm, if he's rolling in dough, why is HE out there at 4AM planting seeds? Perhaos he's just driven to work like a dog... but if he could afford to pay people to do all the menial stuff, why wouldnt he just supervise, not slave away at risk to hi shealth, and exposing himself to muggers and the dangers of the open road in ricketty old trucks???

Because he's a hero...a living legend.

One day Hollywood will do his story.

I can only speak for Atlanta Comic Con, but I've seen him pay between $75-$125 (cherry picked) a box for $1 stuff. Not bad at all IMO. It was different the next year when he brought 2 employees who did the negotiating, as the prices seemed to be a little cheaper. I've personally sold out once and can say I did not get pennies on the dollar.

But I see what your saying, and would be curious to see what the sales figures actually are. I find it hard to believe that profits can be 1/2 as great as the newsletters suggest.

Got me confused-smiley-013.gifconfused.gif

I'm not even going to try to psychoanalyze the guy. But he strikes me as someone who likes to be close to the earth (which explains the do-it-yourself farming). He was dirt poor which explains why he economizes (my grandma went through the Depression; in spite of ending up a financially sound old lady, she seemed to inherently believe the next Big Crash could happen at any time (sounds like some people on these Boards!). She would go to church food handouts and stock up on stuff which she stored in huge pantry in the basement. We found 10-year-old cans of peas down there when she died....). Sometimes people create their own problems. And wildly eccentric people often do all sorts of weird things for unknown reasons.

Anyway, I only had one Chuckie Baby anecdote. Shot my wad. I'm sure others have plenty. 27_laughing.gif

I LOVE that song!

who put it up? thanx!

Dr. B thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I watched a live request show last night w/Allison Krauss and Union Station (incredible musicians) and they played the song and it seemed relevant to poor old Chuck!