• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics that were on sale 50 years ago today

12 posts in this topic

Of the comics that were on sale this month 50 years ago, What would you (or did you) buy?

The link below lists the various comics that were on sale in October 1964 (50 years ago). I thought it would be fun to look at the list and decide what 5 comics we would pick up at the newsstand, if we could go back 50 years. For some of us (like me), I was not born yet - but some of us here can probably tell us what they actually bought!

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=all&type=calendar&month=10&year=1964&sort=alpha

My choices would be:

1) Spider-Man #20

2) Strange Tales $128 (cause of the Scarlet Witch)

3) Sgt Fury #13 (great cover)

4) Avengers #11

5) Archie Christmas Stocking Magazine #31 (Assuming I would be a kid, I liked Archie and anything to do with Christmas!)

See more journals by Jmorrow

This is a neat idea. I took a look and tried to imagine myself as kid at the newsstand, setting aside what I know about the values of some of these issues and strictly went with the first five covers that caught my eye. Since they were in alphabetical order I picked seven cool covers the first time around, I imagine theses were not in such order on the stands. After I took a second look I narrowed it down to the following five.

1) Air War Stories #2 - Cool plane cover

2) Action Comics #319 - I like Superman

3) Detective Comics #334 - Batman looks like he's in between a rock and a hard place!

4) Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom #10 - Neat Sci Fi cover

5) Flash #149 - The red suite pops out and he's unmasked himself

Cool journal ..I remember picking up SM20 and Avengers 11 at the grocery store when they were on sale ....still have the raw copies (have some wear and staples rusted on SM20)....great period of time to be a kid .... I even would read through the letters pages and always checked Stan's little blurbs as to what might be coming next month..

Thanks for the journal ..brought back great memories .....

Great idea. I'm picking the way I would have when I was a kid. (Which I was when these books were on sale, but not old enough to make informed choices, or have an income. lol )

Air War Stories - love all things aviation (actually, I think I want one of these now!)

WDC&S and Uncle Scrooge - still love Disney (and I have both of those in my collection)

Star Spangled War Stories - I loved war comics, and this one has a giant chamaeleon!

5th is hard - maybe the Gold Key Tarzan (I had a few of those)

No superhero books - while I bought my first comics in the 60s, the first superhero comic I ever bought was a Simonson Thor around '83.

As a child I was totally into adventure, war, sci-fi & dinos - so based on what was on the shelf at the corner market, I would have selected from these.

Korak, son of Tarzan 5 OR Kona 12

Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds OR Strange Adventures 169

GI Combat 108 - can't pass up a WWII tank cover

Star Spangled War Stories 117 - war & giant lizards

Rawhide Kid 42 - that's a nice cover.

Also - possible - Jungle War Stories, Tarzan (he's on a dino), Our Fighting Forces, Combat!

Lee K

This is fun, and thank you for the website! I'd like to think I would have picked these up...

Amazing Spider-man 20...cool Scorpion battle cover

Avengers 11...crossover!

Bonanza 11...what a great show

Sgt Fury 13...ok, i'm not a fan of war comics but what an amazing Cap cover!

Strange Tales 128...yeah, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

So many great choices! As a kid if I could only have five...

Dr. Solar #10 - just a cool cover

ASM #20 - seeing Spidey in peril on a rooftop would catch my eye.

Action Comics #319 - always liked SA Action/Supes covers.

Sgt. Fury #13 - great Cap cover

Fantastic Four #34 - It's the worlds greatest comic magazine after all!

It's November...time to pretend it is November 1964 and we are getting to pick out 5 comic books! Link to what was out 50 years ago this months is at

http://www.dcindexes.com/features/timemachine.php?site=&year=1964&month=11&sort=alpha&type=calendar&checklist=off

I think my 5 choices as a kid would have been:

1) Avengers #12 - Just cause I would (and do) like that cover

2) Journey Into Mystery #112 - Its the Hulk vs Thor! Hello!!! (This one is actually on my list today to still obtain)

3) Superboy #118 - I like Krypto

4) Fantastic Four #35 - Interesting cover

5) 80 page Giant of Superman - 80 pages for 25cents. That's a deal!

What would you get?