• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAKE OFFER!: Early Mad Bound Volumes (Jan. '59 (#44) - Sept. '71 (#145)

10 posts in this topic

Howdy Folks!, :hi:

Up for grabs here are 11 Bound Volumes of early Mad mags. The volumes start with issue #44 (classic Christmas cover) and end with #145. That's a complete span from January 1959 to September 1971. 102 issues.

The binding appears to have been a home job and is in fair condition overall. Some volumes are better and some are worse than others. 1966 is particularly poor on the outside. The volumes are hand labeled as shown in the pictures below.

The issues have been bound with their covers and most are in very good condition with a few notable exceptions. I did notice one tape repair to a page with old archival tape when scanning through them. There are probably a few other trouble spots as well, but nothing major was noticed. All perfectly readable. And that's pretty much what these amount to: some fun reading!

I have little knowledge of the binding process, or whether any trimming was involved, so I'm not sure if they can be easily rebound or taken out. But if possible, a rebinding would serve them well for future generations and your reading pleasure.

Please don't hesitate to PM with any more specific questions.

OSG GD price for these 102 issues is $577. My price is $300 $250 OBO for the whole run.

Shipping will be at cost to the buyer. Do to weight (roughly 26 pounds before packing), these will probably have to go FedEx or UPS (buyer's choice). Rest assured, I will work with you to keep costs as low as possible on the shipping.

USA/Canadian buyers only please. Payment by Paypal only. No probies or HOSers. First unconditional :takeit: wins. PMs welcome.

20141020_173222_HDR.jpg

20141020_173503_HDR.jpg

20141020_173637_HDR.jpg

The thing is, these cover the sweet spot of the magazine. I read Mad from the early 60's through the early 80's, and this batch has ALL the good stuff in it. Crisp writing and art, vicious (and drop dead funny) satire of all things media, and all things political.

If you haven't read this stuff before I envy you the treat in store for you.

Why, the rules for 43 Man Squamish alone are worth the entry fee!