• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A consignment question.

25 posts in this topic

Suppose you consign a book to someone and the agreed upon asking price is $10,000, with the seller getting a 10% commission.

While in the sellers care, his store burns down and is a total loss. He is fully insured and you will be paid. What does he owe you? Does he get his 10% for a book he didn't sell, or do you get the whole $10,000.

Suppose you consign a book to someone and the agreed upon asking price is $10,000, with the seller getting a 10% commission.

While in the sellers care, his store burns down and is a total loss. He is fully insured and you will be paid. What does he owe you? Does he get his 10% for a book he didn't sell, or do you get the whole $10,000.

the asking price is completely hypothetical. You would be essentially forcing the insurance company to pay a price you claim you could have got. Since the insurance company is the one paying an arbitrary price, he should still get the 10%.

Or, you could talk to the insurance company and get your book appraised, and get 100% of whatever that is. The owner is the one making the claim, and the one telling them what the book is "worth"....

90% would be sufficient. Even though he is not brokering a sale he is making sure you get your 90% through the insurance company which I would imagine is a pain in itself.

But he wasnt asking 100% he wanted 90% why should he get more than the agreed amount because of circumstance?

It appears the people who do the consigning think the seller should get his ten percent, while people who actually get consignments think otherwise.

Interesting.

I can see both sides of this.

true. I would think the 10% becomes active if a successful sale is made, not due to loss/theft. I just wouldn't feel right taking a cut if an accident happened short of a legit sale.

But wouldn't that encourage him to burn his store down again hm

Looking at it from the other perspective, getting 100% might encourage the comic's owner to burn down the store. :whistle:

The store owner was going to take 10% as a fee for selling the comic. He didn't sell it - i.e. the service wasn't provided - so I think the full insurance payout goes back to the owner.

If a book is on consignment and agreed upon price to be paid is 90% then I would think it wouldn't matter what happened to the book- sold, traded, lost/damaged, purchased by consignee(which is what this scenario basically is as ell as lost/damaged), etc- the consignor would get 90%.

Reread your consignment agreement and check for a force major clause. I put one in mine saying any and all insurance proceeds will be split in the same percentage as a sale. There's no unjust enrichment by either party.

I tend to agree w/the majority that a 90/10 split of the proceeds is the correct outcome.

However, one cannot assume that the full asking price (in this case, $10,000) will be paid by said insurance company. According to the one we use, any items lost, damaged or stolen will be appraised and assigned a value independent of the insured and that amount (minus a deductible) will be paid. The insurance company will also require proof of ownership (past purchase order, scans/images, etc.).

Its not as simple as "item burned down, insurance pays out asking price, split 90/10".