• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am confused! Why do people crack open their CGC graded comics?
2 2

214 posts in this topic

The best thing I learned from the boards was the phrase 'buy the book and not the grade'. If it is a book you would enjoy if you were shopping at a booth, and certainly raw books give you that greater ability, then I wouldn't care too much about the grade.

I've seen stellar graded books from 8.5 and up.

If the CGC book is priced right, I'll buy it slabbed just to crack it out and put it in my cabinet. I have some CGC stuff, but generally, unless its a 'prized possession' I crack out other CGC books just for the sake of storage.

Do you inform CGC of the cracked book? I wonder if the current stats on the CGC database are updated.

I do.

But I charge $5 for the service.

:roflmao:

The best thing I learned from the boards was the phrase 'buy the book and not the grade'. If it is a book you would enjoy if you were shopping at a booth, and certainly raw books give you that greater ability, then I wouldn't care too much about the grade.

I've seen stellar graded books from 8.5 and up.

The best part of buying the book and not the grade for slabs is that they usually arrive in the same condition as the scans, unlike raw books that can get damaged in shipping. I'm sure some slabs get damaged in transit, but it has to be a super low percentage compared to raws.

I was surfing online and I found this video:

Why do people crack open their CGC comic books? Are books going to get damaged if kept into the CGC case (maybe paper will deteriorate quicker)?

Because people care about the comics inside and not the plastic on the outside.

I was surfing online and I found this video:

Why do people crack open their CGC comic books? Are books going to get damaged if kept into the CGC case (maybe paper will deteriorate quicker)?

Because people care about the comics inside and not the plastic on the outside.

It means they arent trying to sell it. They used CGC for what it was intended, a third party grading system to help ensure they got what they paid for.

Once in hand, myabe they want to read it, display it, mylar it, add it to a long box, or just generally dont like CGC encased books.

But sometimes the premium price that you pay for a CGC graded comic books is a lot. For example, Mycomicshop currently has ASM 85 9.0 at $425 when Overstreet's Guide has the same issue, same 9.0 conditions at $111. This is $314 more! I am a newbie at serious collecting so please forgive me if this is a stupid question or observation.

and this book is signed by Stan Lee and John Romita so comparing it to Overstreet makes no sense.

and this book is signed by Stan Lee and John Romita so comparing it to Overstreet makes no sense.

Argh! You are right, my mistake.

Another example. ASM 53 CGC 9.2 (Mycomicshop) at $355.86. Overstreet value at $270. It's 30% more. In this case, it makes more sense. A 30% premium for the assurance that the grading is correct may be worth it.

If I ever win the lottery, i'm buying every copy of those slabs that come in too many 9.8s and taking them all out to send the labels back to CGC just to lower the census.

Too many 9.8s for issues like TWD1, NM98, IH181. If you ever watched the Jet Li movie "the one" you'll know what happens next.

Otherwise, like what many have already said before in this thread. Addittionally, if there were ever an environmental hazard (fire, earthquake, etc.) I would rather carry 100 unslabbed copies than 100 cgc slabs out the door.

Edited by heymikesays

Argh! You are right, my mistake.

Another example. ASM 53 CGC 9.2 (Mycomicshop) at $355.86. Overstreet value at $270. It's 30% more. In this case, it makes more sense. A 30% premium for the assurance that the grading is correct may be worth it.

That price in your new example is still misleading you in your analysis. Just because that's the price listed for that particular book at that particular vendor doesn't mean that's the market value of an ASM 53 CGC 9.2...that's just an asking price...the book could sit there forever unsold at that price. The 12-month average sales price for a slabbed ASM 53 CGC 9.2 is around $240 (based on those sales that are recorded in GPA, of course), and trending downward.

If you're getting serious about spending significant money on slabbed comics, it would behoove you to get a subscription to GPA so that you can get a baseline for market values...a wise investment until you start developing more experience (and a good resource even after you have more experience)

edit: ...the basic notion of your point is correct, though...as others have said, there's some logic to paying a slight premium for graded books for the resto check and independent grading opinion.

Edited by edowens71

Why do people crack open their CGC comic books?

Because CBCS won't let you post scans of CGC graded comics on their chat-board.

The same reason folks crack out CBCS graded books to post here (thumbs u

I started buying cgc recently after getting tired of sellers who don't know mint from shredded paper. I opened up about 6 so far. So far the grading has been pretty inconsistent. That and it's completely random when they have any of that microchamber paper

I started buying cgc recently after getting tired of sellers who don't know mint from shredded paper. I opened up about 6 so far. So far the grading has been pretty inconsistent. That and it's completely random when they have any of that microchamber paper

Post the books to the grading forum. I'd be curious to see what you're seeing as inconsistent.

Mycomicshop allows people who consign to set their own prices. Many set crazy prices for whatever reason. When speaking about MCS's prices, you have to distinguish between the prices they put on books and what a consigner does.

Post the books to the grading forum. I'd be curious to see what you're seeing as inconsistent.

Do you mean post pictures? I don't really have time for all that. I'm not saying the grading is way off the mark or anything. Just little things like, for for example, a 9.4 having nothing I can see wrong and a 9.6 having obvious creases on the covers. That and pages listed as white but clearly being off-white, but I don't know if that was storage issues. Sorry if I was a bit hyperbolic

Mycomicshop allows people who consign to set their own prices. Many set crazy prices for whatever reason. When speaking about MCS's prices, you have to distinguish between the prices they put on books and what a consigner does.

That explains the crazy sums I see for some of their books. If I were them, I would be a little more rigid with those consignors. It's their name on eBay and on their site.

Since this has been brought up....

The census always needs to be considered as a "most potential copies" situation.

That is, it's not really a representation of what IS, but rather, what could potentially be.

For example:

If Book X #17 has 357 copies, of various flavors, on the census...that doesn't mean there are 357 slabs that contain Book X #17, necessarily. There might be...but the reality is, there are probably only 342, or 353, or 321, or 62 copies of the book still in actual, physical slabs.

The census represents, in this case, a CEILING, rather than an actual head count. You know that there aren't *more than*357 slabs out there.

There. Now, anyone who has been enlightened by this post, please submit $5 to my Paypal account.

:whistle:

Why do people crack open their CGC comic books?

Because CBCS won't let you post scans of CGC graded comics on their chat-board.

The same reason folks crack out CBCS graded books to post here (thumbs u

I guess some people don't know how to simply crop a picture?

(shrug)

:)

That's been done.

It didn't turn out too well.

I'll buy some slabbed books if they are really cheap and crack them open just to reuse the shells.

I do the same. What's your method for reusing them? Do you put a book in with a bag and board or do you some something more fancy?