• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am confused! Why do people crack open their CGC graded comics?
2 2

214 posts in this topic

I have really enjoyed this thread. It is one of my favorite things about the boards, sitting back and reading what the wise collectors have to teach. Thanks guys.

I have struggled with storage for years, trying to determine the best approach. I am hearing that mylar with an acid free board is probably the best storage?

Thanks again for the insight.

Edit: Can anyone point me to a thread that has the best method to crack a slab...I have a couple that are overdue ;)

Edited by Norrin's lawyer

I keep mine slabbed because it gives me a sense of security when I display them in my room

Curious, anyone dropped a slab before? When you get a concussion, your soft brain crashes against your hard skull, and that's how damage occurs. I picture dropping a slab having the same effect on a book. If you drop a mylar, the bag splits and the corner of the board absorbs the shock. Clumsy as I am, I've found silver-gold fullbacks to be life savers.

Slabs are great because it takes the debate out of the grade of the book. Although it is not fool proof, a solid plastic case can do a lot to preserve the book. If a book is valuable cracking it out of the slab does not mean it looses all its value. If the cost of having the comic book CGC'd is covered by the increase in selling price of the book over time then a collector preferring raw can be confident in the grade and value thereafter as well. I have heard of rare instances where dubious individuals have tried to use cracking for trickery but that is usually unsuccessful . So to summarize why someone might not crack a case; I myself get a sense of security from having my comic book sealed in solid plastic preserving it from damage by my fumbling little fingers.

Clumsy as I am, I've found silver-gold fullbacks to be life savers.

Archives and Fullbacks are my most preferred method. Love them!

I buy comics to read and keep. If I buy any that are slabbed they're getting cracked out and read and then put in mylar's with boards. I'll let my kids worry about selling them once I'm gone.

Nice!

I believe I also got a book once where the slab had detached a staple. Either that, or CGC thought that was an OK defect in a 7.5.

It's possible, if that were the only major defect.

Either take a Green 9.x or Blue 7.5.

I am surprised to see so many people say they crack books out to read them. :insane:

If you are buying high grade examples of said books, that's when reader copies become highly desirable. Also most every graded book that I buy I have read before and/or is available to read in trades or even digitally.

For me, it's kind of hard to explain...... there's just nothing quite like the feel of the actual vintage book. I don't want to sound like some kind of purist snob..... and in all honesty, it's probably smarter to keep them slabbed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

For me, it's kind of hard to explain...... there's just nothing quite like the feel of the actual vintage book. I don't want to sound like some kind of purist snob..... and in all honesty, it's probably smarter to keep them slabbed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Once someone actually cracks out a high grade vintage book and smells the 60 year old pulp, possibly flip through white pages there is nothing more to explain. :cloud9:

Well said. Plus, having started buying comics in 1972, nearly 30 years before CGC came into existence, I'm quite used to the pleasure of reading, preserving, and collecting comics in their pristine and native state. It's hard to envision how a comic entombed in a thick plastic case can approach producing the same level of enjoyment, no matter the structural grade or degree of preservation inside.

If the CGC book is priced right, I'll buy it slabbed just to crack it out and put it in my cabinet. I have some CGC stuff, but generally, unless its a 'prized possession' I crack out other CGC books just for the sake of storage.

Do you inform CGC of the cracked book? I wonder if the current stats on the CGC database are updated.

I do.

But I charge $5 for the service.

Maybe the census would be more accurate if CGC offered a few bucks off re-grading each book? hm