• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First "fake" CGC slabbed book

87 posts in this topic

They make tamper evident tape. It seems to me like that might work.

Putting the label inside the inner well would be nice, but it wouldn't really make a scammer's job that much more difficult. Once you have access to the inner well, the cat is out of the bag at that point. CGC really just needs to make the outer case genuinely tamper evident.

This. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with a tamper tape that would be really difficult to duplicate and clearly show that a book has been messed with. Put a band along the top and the bottom, about a 1/2 thick, that repeats the cert number in some fashion along with a hologram.

It doesn't need to be that expensive or elaborate either. It's not like they are printing currency.

A simple "total seal" or a simple void sticker, like on your ps3, is more than ample.

I sent an email to CGC a few years back recommending the use os Data Dots or similar technology. The laser engraving is a good idea, except I think it wouldn't do much to keep the book from being switched. Most tamper tape (aka evidence tape) can be removed from hard plastic without signs it has been removed.

You'd likely have to implement a color changing plastic for the case that would turn a different color when damaged, but I'd imagine the cost would outweigh the benefit in most instances.

I know a while back that one of Ryan Elliott's eBay shill accounts tried to sell an ASM 10(?) as a 9.8 with a voided CGC label, and I believe there was a discussion on the boards with z check of the serial number that found the book was no longer registered.

3M makes glue that will stick to ANYthing

Cyanoacrylate (aka Super Glue) is great except for the fuming effect. Im sure there's a glue that would be, chemically speaking, friendly to slab plastic. If you think TATs are bad now, just imagine incorporating glue and drying time. But it seems like that is the best method.

Cyanoacrylate (aka Super Glue) is great except for the fuming effect. Im sure there's a glue that would be, chemically speaking, friendly to slab plastic. If you think TATs are bad now, just imagine incorporating glue and drying time. But it seems like that is the best method.

180 days and 10 minutes? :shrug:

180 days and 10 minutes? :shrug:

It depends on what manufacturer's recommendation would be for full curing time. Most quick dry applications advise light handling five to ren minutes later, but usually a full cure is an hour or more.

Slabs can be cracked and resealed undetectably

Labels can be created

There is a lot of scamming in the comics biz-more and more as time goes on

I'd say this is a perfect storm waiting to happen.

CGC should get ahead of it with more secure slabs and collectors should very carefully examine slabs they buy, labels, posts, etc.

Most probably though this situation will be ignored till it's too late and things implode-that's human nature.

Maybe if it's a high dollar book crack it just to make sure. Be sad if someone cracked a Superman #1 they had for 10 years only to discover inside the cover was a 70's Archie book or extensive CT with a sharpie.

The label doesnt have to be fake though-someone could harvest/resubmit legitimate books and use the labels to sell off the fakes....

The situation as it now exists is that a raw book that can be examined is more secure than a slabbed book bought off another party. {quote}

Very insightful.....

This is a bigger problem than people want to know and people want to deal with. It is hard to ask the CGC to go back in time to make the books tamper free, however going forward it is to me curious why the CGC does not take better steps in preventing this. There smart competitions can use this to their advantage against them...another e-bay scam.....another dollar lost...

Slabs can be cracked and resealed undetectably

Labels can be created

There is a lot of scamming in the comics biz-more and more as time goes on

I'd say this is a perfect storm waiting to happen.

CGC should get ahead of it with more secure slabs and collectors should very carefully examine slabs they buy, labels, posts, etc.

Most probably though this situation will be ignored till it's too late and things implode-that's human nature.

Maybe if it's a high dollar book crack it just to make sure. Be sad if someone cracked a Superman #1 they had for 10 years only to discover inside the cover was a 70's Archie book or extensive CT with a sharpie.

The label doesnt have to be fake though-someone could harvest/resubmit legitimate books and use the labels to sell off the fakes....

The situation as it now exists is that a raw book that can be examined is more secure than a slabbed book bought off another party.

Very insightful.....

This is a bigger problem than people want to know and people want to deal with. It is hard to ask the CGC to go back in time to make the books tamper free, however going forward it is to me curious why the CGC does not take better steps in preventing this. There smart competitions can use this to their advantage against them...another e-bay scam.....

It may be hard, but sometimes we have to ask the tough questions. :sumo:

They make tamper evident tape. It seems to me like that might work.

Putting the label inside the inner well would be nice, but it wouldn't really make a scammer's job that much more difficult. Once you have access to the inner well, the cat is out of the bag at that point. CGC really just needs to make the outer case genuinely tamper evident.

One of the other guy does this.

This... you have to take the whole inner well out to get to the label and by then the outercase is distroyed...

Several people have posted they successfully opened outer case without destroying at least 2 people have posted they had undamaged case with fake book slipped inside.

They should encase the slabs in plastic, to verify they're what they say they are. They could also grade the slabs... Label read: 9.8 fantastic four 45 6.0 comic - viola! Tur-comic-duckin

Already all I want is a 9.9 Saga #1 9.8

No, the outer case is not destroyed by removing the inner well, at least not always. That's the whole motivation of this thread.

Look at the pics in this thread - the entire well is out and the outer case looks fine:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8005445&fpart=8

So, even if the label were inside the inner well, someone could just slice it open, swap labels with another book, put the well back inside the case and reglue it.

The outer case itself needs to be better designed so that it becomes obvious when it has been opened.

I am NOT talking about CGC slabs... there is a company where the label is welded into the inner sleeve and the only way to remove the label is to remove the whole inner sleeve from the case...

Now back to the Dark Side...