• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know how many collectors there are for comics over $1,000?

61 posts in this topic

I've paid up to $600 cash. Traded for up to $1,500 with partial cash trade. I sold my FF #1 for $2,500 and an Action 28 for well over $1,000.

I've heard there are about 50,000 true collectors out there so at 1% of all collectors, yes, there are easily 500 collectors that would pony up over $1,000 for the right comic.

Dependant on what title/publisher the book is, I think you'll find more than enough buyers on books above one thousand dollars. However, as the price goes up the number of potential buyers continually goes down.

Brian

My usual limit is around five or six hundred bucks, but I will pay over a grand for a book if I can do a time payment. Most dealers are pretty flexible in that regard.

I think you have to differentiate between those who would pay 1K or more for certain key/grail books knowing they're never going to find them for less, and those collectors who more routinely pay 4 figures for books they want. My guess is there are alot of collectors whohave never spent more than a couple hundred on a book who would pony up over a thousand for say a low grade AF#1 or FF#1 if they felt it was a good deal.

think you have to differentiate between those who would pay 1K or more for certain key/grail books knowing they're never going to find them for less, and those collectors who more routinely pay 4 figures for books they want. My guess is there are alot of collectors whohave never spent more than a couple hundred on a book who would pony up over a thousand for say a low grade AF#1 or FF#1 if they felt it was a good deal.

An that's the really question.

How many will pay more than $1K for a book for THEIR COLLECTION at FAIR MARKET VALUE?

I'm not sure if there would be 2,000 if you eliminated all the dealers and bargain hunters.

Would I pay $1,000 for a baseball card. NO (I don't collect them).

If someone wanted to sell me a Mickey Mantle Mint rookie card (certified of course), would I buy it for a $1,000. Yes.

Hmmmmmm....

I have a hard time paying over $100 for anything, but have paid almost $500 for a "grail" book. If something amazing came along that was $1000 + and I knew I could get my money back out of it if I had to I would seriously think about it (after talking to the wife of course - hard to get that kind of money without her knowing about it 27_laughing.gif )

It's an obsession. After many years away from comics, I started buying mid grade SA books a few years ago for less than $70 a piece. Then slowly but surely, I started to inch my way up to a couple of hundred dollars when I purchased a Sub Mariner #1 CGC 9.4. Before long, I was buying X-Men #1 and ASM#1 for thousands of dollars. Once my bank account dwindled down, I'm back to a limited budget again. I'm not married, so all I have to go by is that little voice inside my head telling me to spend-spend-spend!

I'm in the same boat as you guys...But I usually don't go blabbing to my parents how much money I've spent. I don't think they'd really want to know I could have dropped 5K on another car and not one piece of art work. But you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs...and unfortunately my current car broke for a little while over the summer, but I just tell myself there's no point in buying another one since I don't need one at school. I then convince myself I could use a new piece of art work though.