• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know how many collectors there are for comics over $1,000?

61 posts in this topic

To paraphrase Tom B, the madness starts at $10,000...

Haven't hit that madness myself.

But I probably dropped over $1,000 on one book easily 20 times or more.

Haven't actually even dropped $5K on a book (but did sell one for $6K). 893applaud-thumb.gif

I If something amazing came along that was $1000 + and I knew I could get my money back out of it if I had to I would seriously think about it (after talking to the wife of course - hard to get that kind of money without her knowing about it 27_laughing.gif )

Dude - just make sure you're the one that pays the bills. My wife knows I spend money on old comic books - but I don't think she knows how much. wink.gif

saw you bid almost 5k for a DD# 1 on ebay, thats some decent cake!

It went for higher than I thought it would go for. blush.gif

I would really like to upgrade by DD #1 CGC 8.0 copy, but DD #1 in almost any grade is available. It's not a rare book so it's not a book I'm going to overspend to get at this time.

Good luck on that Avengers #1 as that is a tough book to get above CGC 8.0 and has really been going through the roof price wise.

Thanks, I think I got hosed on it when I originally bought it though, its has rusty staples and some sort of stain on the back. My limited grading knowledge would probably put it at a 8.0. At the time I bought it was the nicest one I had seen. Seems like the book i thought were NM back in the day are probably not better then an 8.0 according to CGC. tonofbricks.gif

Thanks, I think I got hosed on it when I originally bought it though, its has rusty staples and some sort of stain on the back. My limited grading knowledge would probably put it at a 8.0. At the time I bought it was the nicest one I had seen. Seems like the book i thought were NM back in the day are probably not better then an 8.0 according to CGC.

Couldn't see that in the scan.

Still, nothing wrong with an 8.0.

And you are not the only one to buy NM's and get 8.0's. To be honest, while that sounds bad, as long as you don't have NM's that come back 8.0's, RESTORED, you should be fine.

In my first two submissions of a total of 11 books, three came back PLOD (and all were major keys in the VF range).

To paraphrase Tom B, the madness starts at $10,000...

Haven't hit that madness myself.

But I probably dropped over $1,000 on one book a easily 20 times or more.

I used to do that myself, but 5 or 6 years ago I thought long and hard about whether I preferred: (i) spreading out available resources on lots of HG later-run and non-key issues, and either not owning any HG keys or just buying lower grade keys, or (ii) conserving funds to buy HG keys/early issues, at the expense of picking up other issues and filling in runs.

OK, Which one do you do?

I seen you with lots of HG books, but not all are keys.

I'm actually having the same diliema myself.

1) Do I buy hard to find in Ultra High Grade CGC books that are not Keys or

2) Do I but the Major Keys now in a lesser grade, that have 30-100 copies in that CGC grade or higher.

OK, Which one do you do?

2) Do I but the Major Keys now in a lesser grade, that have 30-100 copies in that CGC grade or higher.

Aye - - theres the rub! A true comics Hobsons Choice.

I wrestle with it too..and overall, I think with a few exceptions, the off grade keys are the best long-term decision. Because, as you state it, many other collectors will face the same turning point, and opt for the importance ( = liquidity) of the keys. As prices rise, the off grade copies will be all they can afford. The long-term demand for very expensive non-keys in their highest grades will only appeal to run collectors. And, as that gets increasingly costly to attempt, will be tried by fewer and fewer collectors. ALthough they will ALSO be the richest too, and wouldnt be deterred by cost... I think liquidity favors DEMAND not the lesser supply of the HG off-keys,

OK, Which one do you do?

I'm actually having the same dilema myself.

"What do you do?!"

speed06.jpg

"Shoot the low grades?" confused-smiley-013.gif

Seriously, hard to find comics will always be a solid choice. Who's to say lesser grade keys won't drop farther if the census grows even more? confused-smiley-013.gif

OK, Which one do you do?

You're correct, I include DC SA issues before certain cut-off dates (primarily 1964) because they're so hard to find in high grade that key or no key, if I don't snag them I might never see them again. What I don't do anymore is spend money on post-1964 books. So if you took a look at my collection, you'll see no or very few Flash beyond the 150s, Atoms beyond the teens, GLs beyond the teens, etc. I save the money that I would spend on these books and build up my war chest so funds are available when a big ticket book (key or hard-to-find early SA book) appears.

The dilemna I was describing is a bit different. It's either buying Ultra HG CGC non-keys, or saving up and buying Ultra HG CGC keys. So for instance, instead of buying 20 $1000 non-keys as you say you've done, you take the $20,000 that you saved up and use it all to buy a CGC 9.4 Avengers 1, or ST 110, etc.

I'm not saying this is the route for everyone. But my preference is to own high grade copies of a few keys or early issues and have an otherwise largely incomplete run rather than to have almost complete HG runs but with either missing keys or lower grade keys.

OK, Which one do you do?

The dilemna I was describing is a bit different. It's either buying Ultra HG CGC non-keys, or saving up and buying Ultra HG CGC keys. So for instance, instead of buying 20 $1000 non-keys as you say you've done, you take the $20,000 that you saved up and use it all to buy a CGC 9.4 Avengers 1, or ST 110, etc.

I'm not saying this is the route for everyone. But my preference is to own high grade copies of a few keys or early issues and have an otherwise largely incomplete run rather than to have almost complete HG runs but with either missing keys or lower grade keys.

Most of us can't afford to take the Ultra HG CGC SA key route.

I'm an eclectic. I can't afford $20K for an Avengers 1, so I concentrate on key books that I like (ie TOS 52, FF 52, ASM 39) that are within my means (ie VF/NM to NM-).

I'm an eclectic. I can't afford $20K for an Avengers 1, so I concentrate on key books that I like (ie TOS 52, FF 52, ASM 39) that are within my means (ie VF/NM to NM-).

I understand, I was just addressing my comments to sfilosa, who had spent $20K in small increments and I was just asking whether he had ever considered not buying the smaller ticket books and saving up instead to buy a smaller number of big ticket books.

I understand, I was just addressing my comments to sfilosa, who had spent $20K in small increments and I was just asking whether he had ever considered not buying the smaller ticket books and saving up instead to buy a smaller number of big ticket books.

That is the philosophy I'm coming to adapt as well. Sell off the less important inexpensive books to buy fewer important keys.

I've spent about several thousand on raw books (BA-Modern) that could have gone towards buying some nice SA keys or original art. I think many people get into that mode by limiting the amount of money they will spend on an individual book. They end up with a lot of books but not many great books.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why not do both!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're not as rich as you are.

Who say? insane.gif

Right now, the availablity of books that fit in either of my categories is thin, so I guess I don't have to worry right now.