• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles are worthless...

305 posts in this topic

. In a post-apocalyptic world, gold is likely to be worthless.

That is almost certainly to be the exact opposite of reality.

A lot of you folks, having never had experience with precious metal as a method of exchange, really don't seem to understand the utility these things have in facilitating commerce, ESPECIALLY in a world where basic necessities are hard to come by.

Yes, THEORETICALLY, "gold is only worth what someone will pay for it." But you fail to understand that gold, and to a lesser extent platinum, silver, etc, has utility because it is an easy method for storing large amounts of value in a small amount of space, that is easily defended, and easily hidden.

On top of that, it is easily accepted, and easily exchanged.

Gold will have value not because people want to own the pretty, pretty gold...but because it is very useful in trade.

The most apocalyptic the world has ever been...central Europe during WWII...and gold was essential to the underground economy.

Why do you all think gold will have no value?

I have read ahead, so I've seen the arguments put forth on both sides, so I'll try not to repeat anything.

First off, when I say "post-apocalyptic world", I am not speaking in a literal definition that encompasses all time after an apocalypse, but the semi-immediate aftermath. I should also point out that I'm not talking about anything that "central Europe during WWII" compares with - for one thing, the rest of the world wasn't in such straits. As has been pointed out, at such a time in such a place, pretty bits of metal aren't what people are going to be in need of - and the people likely to have such pretty bits of metal aren't likely to be the kind of folks the people with what's needed are going to want to be trading essentials to for those bits of metal.

After a while, sure, some sort of currency will be created, for the same reason it was created in the first place. That currency might be gold, or it might not. My guess is it would depend on who has the gold at that time on whether it was accepted as the currency. Even after such an event, we wouldn't be the same kind of people who agreed with what was "worth" something like that. The old golden rule, "He who has the gold makes the rules."

First off, when I say "post-apocalyptic world", I am not speaking in a literal definition that encompasses all time after an apocalypse, but the semi-immediate aftermath. I should also point out that I'm not talking about anything that "central Europe during WWII" compares with - for one thing, the rest of the world wasn't in such straits. As has been pointed out, at such a time in such a place, pretty bits of metal aren't what people are going to be in need of - and the people likely to have such pretty bits of metal aren't likely to be the kind of folks the people with what's needed are going to want to be trading essentials to for those bits of metal.

Except that it is the closest real world example to "apocalyptic settings" that we have...and yes, those people relied on gold to live, despite living in some of the worst possible situations that humanity has known.

The rest of the world wasn't in such straits, but the real power in the world up to WWII was the community of nations of Europe...which was essentially destroyed, paving the way for the American ascension.

Ok, sure, for the first...2 days, 5 days, 2 weeks, gold probably won't have much "value", as people scramble just to survive...but that won't last. It never has, and it cannot. Human beings recover, restore, rebuild. It's what has happened in all of recorded history.

And I'm quite sure the gold that people DO own isn't going to be abandoned and tossed out in the street.

After a while, sure, some sort of currency will be created, for the same reason it was created in the first place. That currency might be gold, or it might not. My guess is it would depend on who has the gold at that time on whether it was accepted as the currency. Even after such an event, we wouldn't be the same kind of people who agreed with what was "worth" something like that. The old golden rule, "He who has the gold makes the rules."

Sure, the currency could be Jelly Bellies.

Is it likely?

No, of course not.

There is nothing...and 5,000+ years of history has borne this out...that is as convenient a store of wealth as gold. So, is it likely that humanity...in opposition to millennia of history...would turn to something else as a medium of exchange...?

Highly doubtful.

We don't do that NOW, in this era of worldwide fiat currency. The US gov't maintains vast stores of physical gold, as does the other world powers, especially China.

The beauty of gold, of course, is that you can literally find it on the ground. So, no, all the gold will not be congregated in the hands of a tiny few, even as it is not now, even though it is not used as a *direct* medium of exchange for the moment (which, historically, is a tiny blip.)

. In a post-apocalyptic world, gold is likely to be worthless.

That is almost certainly to be the exact opposite of reality.

A lot of you folks, having never had experience with precious metal as a method of exchange, really don't seem to understand the utility these things have in facilitating commerce, ESPECIALLY in a world where basic necessities are hard to come by.

Yes, THEORETICALLY, "gold is only worth what someone will pay for it." But you fail to understand that gold, and to a lesser extent platinum, silver, etc, has utility because it is an easy method for storing large amounts of value in a small amount of space, that is easily defended, and easily hidden.

On top of that, it is easily accepted, and easily exchanged.

The most apocalyptic the world has ever been...central Europe during WWII...and gold was essential to the underground economy.

Why do you all think gold will have no value?

Its too soft and malliable. Give me steel....

I don't know if collectibles are a U.S. thing, but I'm starting to think that the crazy amounts of money spent, were spent on something that is so illiquid unless you're living in the U.S. so anyway, I live in the UAE (Dubai) and a few months back I wanted to sell some of my valuable comics on a popular classified site, but there was no interest what so ever. People were even messaging me and telling me I was crazy to expect to get that much for a comic book. We are talking comics like Spiderman #50, 122, Hulk 181 etc.

I see the same thing happening with Lego now, and it seems to have become a fad right after the Lego movie, people hoarding sets hoping they'll sell them for huge profits. But at the end of the day, as much as you might love the blocks bricks, no one in their right mind is going to pay $5,000 for a toy. Collectibles just present an illusion of gold, but they are not worth anything.

Fixed that for you......

There is nothing...and 5,000+ years of history has borne this out...that is as convenient a store of wealth as gold. So, is it likely that humanity...in opposition to millennia of history...would turn to something else as a medium of exchange...?

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but I think it needs to be pointed out that the bartering strength of any currency is based on the relative position of the economy you are in.

If it's the day after and you're surrounded by carnage, water is worth more than food, etc.

If there is a perceived recovery in site, gold will have value as some will be banking on it's future value and it will probably be taken in by those who have commodities to trade for it.

If there is no recovery in site, gold will have little relative value because of it. Of course, the beauty of the human race is progress and recovery is always in the cards.

It's all relative.

"You cannot depreciate the cost of land because land does not wear out, become obsolete, or get used up."

Relative to what? There's people in Florida and other parts of the country that would argue that.

"You cannot depreciate the cost of land because land does not wear out, become obsolete, or get used up."

Relative to what? There's people in Florida and other parts of the country that would argue that.

Good point hm

I suppose we do have to worry about coastline erosion and rising water levels, sinkholes, and the like...yep, stay away from that.

Good point hm

I suppose we do have to worry about coastline erosion and rising water levels, sinkholes, and the like...yep, stay away from that.

From a tax perspective something like that would probably be an impairment and not depreciation.

Good point hm

Yep, that is a good point by Roy. My relatives in Florida tell me all the time how they fear they won`t be able to leave their houses to their children or grandchildren because from what they heard Florida will go into the ocean in 50 to 100 years. :o

If there's ever an apocalypse, I would be working on filling a backpack. It would contain some food and water but, mostly tools I would need to survive. I would leave the gold behind. By the time a society was developed again, I would be long gone. Things like a knife, fishing line, hand saw, lighters, a gun ect, would be more valuable to me.

If there's ever an apocalypse, I would be working on filling a backpack. It would contain some food and water but, mostly tools I would need to survive. I would leave the gold behind. By the time a society was developed again, I would be long gone. Things like a knife, fishing line, hand saw, lighters, a gun ect, would be more valuable to me.

... but would you take any comics with you?

No room for comics. :sorry:

If the apocalypse comes I call dibs on Mike's comics.

Incorrect, in my bugout emergency bag I have a netbook (with solar chargers), on which I have many instructional manuals (chemistry, survival, medial, construction) but also have a small collection of digital comics :)

Not as 100% fail proof but even if it lasts 3-5 years it gives me lots of use :)

This happens periodically, and people just get new cards, potentially from different banks.

Heck, after the Target breach, just about everyone got a new card.

Visa doesn't depend on any one bank. The whole international monetary system would need to collapse before merchants stop taking Visa cards, IMO.

This will be true until whatever issuing bank is responsible for your particular bits and bytes shuts it down. Then, you'll just have a pretty piece of plastic.