• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

Wow.  Gorgeous copy.  Looks way better than my 9.0.  This is one of those books I swore I'd never pay that much for, but I've come to realization that ship has passed for me.  I still don't think it's a bigger key then Bats 232 though, but it's still a major key nevertheless.  

Edited by Brian48

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

Wow.  Gorgeous copy.  Looks way better than my 9.0.  This is one of those books I swore I'd never pay that much for, but I've come to realization that ship has passed for me.  I still don't think it's a bigger key then Bats 232 though, but it's still a major key nevertheless.  

Are you talking about the Detective 411 or a different book? I wasn't aware 'Tec 411 was even a key. Happens to be one of the few nice 15 cent Detectives I have...

image.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Glad to see this thread back. Here's an upgrade I picked up a CLink or two ago. Would love to see this one in the new holder....

Detective395_MG_2426.jpg

That's the one that ended just below 1k, right?  I was one of the under bidders on this book if that's the case.  Was going to pursue it, but some of my other auctions needed the funds more so I dropped out early.  It would have only been a small upgrade from my 9.2, but I wanted it anyway.  Congrats.  One of my favorites and I have no idea why OSPG doesn't recognize this issue as a key.

5 minutes ago, Paul_Maul said:

Are you talking about the Detective 411 or a different book? I wasn't aware 'Tec 411 was even a key. Happens to be one of the few nice 15 cent Detectives I have...

image.jpeg

Yep.  Probably the hottest of the Adams Bat books last year.  Seemed to have leveled off now, but still ranks either #3 or #4 as far as the Adams run is concerned.  

8 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Yep.  Probably the hottest of the Adams Bat books last year.  Seemed to have leveled off now, but still ranks either #3 or #4 as far as the Adams run is concerned.  

Great book.  Talia appeared before Ras' Al Ghul because of this issue.  Fathering Bruce's child ... dark cover and poor DC paper stock = Tough to find in VF or better.  Not easy to find as time goes on.

I think this book is very undervalued, even at current going prices.

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Glad to see this thread back. Here's an upgrade I picked up a CLink or two ago. Would love to see this one in the new holder....

Detective395_MG_2426.jpg

That is a gorgeous book! 

3 hours ago, Paul_Maul said:

image.jpeg

Fantastic copy!  

3 hours ago, Brian48 said:

That's the one that ended just below 1k, right?  I was one of the under bidders on this book if that's the case.  Was going to pursue it, but some of my other auctions needed the funds more so I dropped out early.  It would have only been a small upgrade from my 9.2, but I wanted it anyway.  Congrats.  One of my favorites and I have no idea why OSPG doesn't recognize this issue as a key.

Yes, that's the one. Doesn't seem like 9.4's come up very often and the centering/wrap kinda put this copy over the top for me. I had several books I was considering in that auction, but I decided at the last minute to go after this one fairly aggressively and let the others go. Still lots of Bronze Bat-keys to go, but I'd like to chip away at the full Ra's/League of Assassins saga some more. 'Tec 411 is one of my favorite single issues (I think I've already gushed about it in its own thread) and it does seem to have tapered off a little lately now that it's broken out and more copies have hit the market.

32 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

That is a gorgeous book! 

Thanks, although the edges and corners have a little bit of wear, I was really amazed when having it in-hand that I can't seem to find any spine tics. That and miswraps are my real pet peeves, so this one is quite satisfying in that regard. Also, I need to tweak my color balance a little on that image, the reds are actually much stronger instead of the kinda orangey look in the photo.

10 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yes, that's the one. Doesn't seem like 9.4's come up very often and the centering/wrap kinda put this copy over the top for me. I had several books I was considering in that auction, but I decided at the last minute to go after this one fairly aggressively and let the others go. Still lots of Bronze Bat-keys to go, but I'd like to chip away at the full Ra's/League of Assassins saga some more. 'Tec 411 is one of my favorite single issues (I think I've already gushed about it in its own thread) and it does seem to have tapered off a little lately now that it's broken out and more copies have hit the market.

Any grade over 9.0 hardly ever come up.  You did right to grab it because it may take years before another one surfaces.  Here's my 9.2 which I don't get to show off very often.  Except for maybe the annoying "fisheye" print spot toward the middle right of the cover, this is an excellent in-hand copy.  Got about 4 other raw copies, but none of them are over 8.0. 

RAD7745F201169_131813.jpg

11 hours ago, scooter99 said:

That Tec 409 is a  super looking book.   One that has eluded me.

Tec 409 is a very under appreciated cover.  It's very similar to Tec 413, which is an even better cover.   I already had a nice raw copy, but a slabbed one was on my lower priority list for a while.  I finally picked up this relatively cheap 9.2 a few months ago.

IMG_1733.JPG

7 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Any grade over 9.0 hardly ever come up.  You did right to grab it because it may take years before another one surfaces.  Here's my 9.2 which I don't get to show off very often.  Except for maybe the annoying "fisheye" print spot toward the middle right of the cover, this is an excellent in-hand copy.  Got about 4 other raw copies, but none of them are over 8.0. 

Thanks for the encouraging words. I had actually decided to walk away from it 'cause I'd already gotten a gut-punch from Uncle Sam earlier that month and needed to tighten up the belt. When I got home from work that evening, I pulled up the auctions to see how things I bid on were finishing and saw that 395 was just a few minutes away from closing, so I crazily decided to go for it (as you said, thinking "when will another come up?"). I think within a week or so, someone listed another 9.4 on eBay for a few hundred less, but the wrap was off, so I would've passed on it anyway, but I kind of got that uneasy feeling like I might've made a mistake. I'm definitely happy with this copy now that the dust has settled and everything's paid, just had to tighten the belt even harder through May.

That's a really great 9.2, as well. Looks like a 9.4 would've been an upgrade in number alone as they both look nearly identical otherwise!

6 hours ago, vane said:

I recently picked this up. The picture doesn't do justice on this book.

IMG_2031.JPG

Brilliant copy. I don't even mind the wrap since it's nice and even from top down.  One of Adams's finest works and one of the few that he did both the pencils and inks.  

For some reason I don't stop by the bronze section enough...it's a shame as Bronze Bats are in my top 3 Favorite genres to collect. 

Felt like snapping some pics today:

I'm drooling over those high grade Tec 395's. I've had this one for awhile but haven't found the right upgrade. 

IMG_0528.JPG.3f0ca7591dd6aeaf0ea001e911340b0d.JPG

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh