• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE November................................................

408 posts in this topic

I like spreadsheets. They help me keep anarchy from overtaking my sanity. That being said, I decided to track my Heritage books on a daily basis to see how the bidding progressed over time. I thought it might be helpful to those panicky consignors who think their books are going to tank if they aren't bid up in the first week.

d1b5b1b0-9622-43da-9e31-655287251b13_zps5a5eb4c8.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

As a buyer, I have a rule when bidding. :rulez:

If I'm trying to snipe an item, or bid live on HA, I calculate what the pre snipe bid or pre live bid and multiply by 1.5. For instance, an $800 pre snipe (live bidding) bid should be budgeted to $1200. With this rule in place, I can rationalize being the underbidder as the book was over priced. Conversely, if I win, my reasoning is that I got it at a bargain. If there is a book I can't live without, I'll close my eyes and hold my nose and go 2x on the bid. In this auction I won 3/8 using this rule in the HA Nov auction.

Anyone else got :rulez: to live buy?

I look to see if there were any recent strong sales--i.e., bidding war sales--that could be temporarily inflating the price. I've seen many cases where books are hot for a while and then come back down to earth, and I'd rather wait than buy a book while it's hot.

There seem to be a fair number of high-grade copies of this one around. Now I have one. :D

lf_zps9f4e5cd1.jpeg

i wish i didn't. but i do.

Yeah, not really our boy Raboy at his finest. :D

Agreed. There are a ton of copies around of this ish that are basically uncirculated, some touched by water, some not or less so -- I remember seeing a bunch on eBay in a short span of time 10 years back. It's one of those "Gerber 6's" that may have been at the time (in Ernie's opinion) but certainly isn't any longer.