• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So What is the Key Warlock Book?

118 posts in this topic

I'm hoping one of these is they key Warlock book (because I own them).

MarvelPremiere1CGC92WA_zps5c26b7b1.jpg

Damn, that's a nice 9.2 Looks much better. Any idea what's keeping it from grading higher?

Yeah, if it were a higher res pic you would see a few color breaking creases on the spine (if it weren't a black cover you might not see them at all). Also, the corners are a bit soft and there is some marvel chipping on the back cover.

You should find a better copy and sell this one to me at once. :baiting:

:baiting:

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=book_details&id=98708

Bob's copy isn't wrapped perfectly and it has ow/w pages. :makepoint:

Oh, you're one of "those"

:jokealert:

:shy:

Recently picked up FF 66 cgc 9.4. Is anyone going to care about this book other than me? I mean, with so many other books associated with Warlock, will this one just be a small piece of the complicated story? Or will it be a key? Time will tell...

Warlock doesn't even show up in a cameo in that issue and I don't believe the cocoon does either... Just some text about "Him". I'm sure once Warlock shows up in a post credits scene that one will go nuts, but not sure it should...

66 won't be in the Top 3 Warlock books but it will be in demand (especially in high grade) once we get a hint of his involvement in Infinity War. Any Warlock or Avengers fan won't have to have it but will want to have it.

Recently picked up FF 66 cgc 9.4. Is anyone going to care about this book other than me? I mean, with so many other books associated with Warlock, will this one just be a small piece of the complicated story? Or will it be a key? Time will tell...

Warlock doesn't even show up in a cameo in that issue and I don't believe the cocoon does either... Just some text about "Him". I'm sure once Warlock shows up in a post credits scene that one will go nuts, but not sure it should...

I big to differ! FF66 is a huge key for any Warlock and FF fan. The Cocoon is front and center, but most importantly, the origin of HIM (Warlock) is discussed in detail. If you are a serious Warlock collector, both 66 & 67 act like a set... a must have set. I personally own two copies of each. It's an underrated and often misunderstood key by those who have never read it. And its a really beautiful issue with spectacular Kirby art! Grab it if you can! And it has high registry points as an added bonus.

SW3D

I big to differ! FF66 is a huge key for any Warlock and FF fan. The Cocoon is front and center, but most importantly, the origin of HIM (Warlock) is discussed in detail. If you are a serious Warlock collector, both 66 & 67 act like a set... a must have set. I personally own two copies of each. It's an underrated and often misunderstood key by those who have never read it. And its a really beautiful issue with spectacular Kirby art! Grab it if you can! And it has high registry points as an added bonus.

SW3D

+1

SW3D

+1

I agree, 67 and 66 are the main keys if you're a fan of Adam Warlock. Speculators tend to ignore issue 66 - nothing wrong with that.

SW3D

The whole story slowly builds itself through that memorable run of issues. We have already glimpses of Alicia's kidnapping by the scientists in #64 (which is also the first mention/apperance of the Kree race, speculators out there) and then the whole story unfolds in full in #66-67.

If one truly loves the comics, and not the money for which they sell for, do yourself a favor and purchase FF#61-67 – of FF#1-100, that is… (:

My whole family is about as big warlock fans as they come and read all the books more than once within the last year and would strongly say ff66 isn't a warlock key. The cocoon is a cameo on last page. The origin focuses more on the creators than him. 67 separates itself from 66 immensely! There are several issues that develop more of an origin than 66 does.

There is a clear top three in my opinion and they are all so close in different ways. I have changed thoughts as I have read than re read each book.

FF67

Thor 165

MP 1

---------------

ST 178 - 181

Warlock 9

Also a side note since warlock 10 is always mentioned. Cgc really got The inbetweener 1st appearance wrong. First appeared in cameo in warlock 9, cameo in 10 and first full in 11 if anyone cares about such characters. Label notes by cgc are really starting to bug me with all the discrepancies.

My whole family is about as big warlock fans as they come and read all the books more than once within the last year and would strongly say ff66 isn't a warlock key. The cocoon is a cameo on last page. The origin focuses more on the creators than him. 67 separates itself from 66 immensely! There are several issues that develop more of an origin than 66 does.

It’s a two-part story, and that’s all which must be said to it. The rest is an exercise of abstraction, as is the fixation of finding single "key" books.

When I read them for the first time, 35 years ago, they looked like a great, unified storyline, roughly from #61 to #67.

I don’t care to determine what people would "consider" a "key book", what is relevant to me is its unified whole as a single story.

Also a side note since warlock 10 is always mentioned. Cgc really got The inbetweener 1st appearance wrong. First appeared in cameo in warlock 9, cameo in 10 and first full in 11 if anyone cares about such characters. Label notes by cgc are really starting to bug me with all the discrepancies.

I am not expecting CGC (or any other professional grader) to tell me details about the content of the books, I am interested to read and find them out myself.

It’s a two-part story, and that’s all which must be said to it. The rest is an exercise of abstraction, as is the fixation of finding single "key" books.

When I read them for the first time, 35 years ago, they looked like a great, unified storyline, roughly from #61 to #67.

I don’t care to determine what people would "consider" a "key book", what is relevant to me is its unified whole as a single story.

I thought we were looking for "the Key Warlock Book"...singular. If that's what this thread is meant for, and I had to pick a single Warlock book to have, I'd pick Thor #165...

That's fine from a story perspective. However, if it's a three issue story arc and the first issue is the key, the value is not shared equally through all three issues. The key gets the most attention and the most value.

I think the best thing about the FF/Thor discussion is that collectors are going to try and nab both copies.

I think what is really going to give the argument a push is how Warlock's eventual appearance on-screen is going to happen.

If he emerges from some sort of cocoon (like what was seen in the Collector's building in the end credit scene) I think it will draw a lot of attention to FF67. Not that it will define which issue is the one to have - but I think it will help because there is a huge group of collectors who are influenced by what goes on in the movies.

Personally, after giving it lots of thought - I agree with 1p36DSA - gotta have 'em all.

I think what is really going to give the argument a push is how Warlock's eventual appearance on-screen is going to happen.

If he emerges from some sort of cocoon (like what was seen in the Collector's building in the end credit scene) I think it will draw a lot of attention to FF67. Not that it will define which issue is the one to have - but I think it will help because there is a huge group of collectors who are influenced by what goes on in the movies.

I very much agree it will spark the need to get all copies. However, I think there is no way we are introduced to "him" without his cocoon being involved.

I can't find a great argument as to why Thor #165 is important other than a great storyline and fight between Thor. I see more merit in FF #66 being a Warlock key than #165 now.