• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I Lost.

8 posts in this topic

Or, Did I need Two?

A few years ago I was bidding on a Susha News copy of Sub-Mariner #38. It was a 9.6/9.8 CGC double cover. I lost but bid up to the final dollar in my bank account, after my bills were paid. Another was listed on Comic Link a few weeks ago. I placed a bid of $100. This was not a double cover, but it was 9.8 and from the Susha News Pedigree.

In the final hour it jumped a bit to high for my taste. If I didn't already have a 9.8 copy I would have placed a higher bid, and most likely would have lost again anyway. It sold for $427. I paid considerably less for my copy, so I have to ask, are pedigrees still so much more desirable than a simple 9.8?

My copy is beautiful. I'm happy to have it. It's a book that has memories to it. I couldn't even tell you how many times I read it, or even when or where my original copy found it's way into my home. Suffice it to say, it was one of my favorites. It wasn't a number one, but with the origin story being retold in it, I was hooked. I had no way to get issue #39, so I had to use my imagination on what happened next.

To whoever won the book, if you are reading this, congratulations.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

16050.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I've also let off of continuing to bid on books in the past, only to see them sell for way more than I would have eventually been willing to pay.

In some cases, I got a later shot at an equivalent copy and got it for quite a bit less and was glad I backed off, but in other cases, I've never seen another copy show up.

At least with you already having such an awesome copy already, it takes most of the feeling of loss out of this situation.

That double cover pedigree copy WAS a cool book though.

I think to many collectors a pedigree 9.8 is more desirable than a

" normal " 9.8 and it did have a double cover. There are various factors to weigh when comparing pedigrees with regular copies. Does a book have sentimental value? Whose collection is it from? How did you aquire it? What did you pay for it? Etc. You hit on a couple of these with your copy. Your copy is a gem of a book. What stands out for me personally on it is the 15 cent cover price. Why it does for me is it brings back memories of that time when comics went to 15 cents from 12 cents. I remember coming home from the local drug store furious because I could only get 6 comics for my dollar instead of 8. Also that period seemed so short before they raised them again to 20 cents. I can laugh about it now but then it was a big deal.

I don't think a pedigree adds value to a book...at least not for me. A 9.8 is a 9.8 in my book. But like any collectible they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Sometimes people OVER pay.

A couple of years back I saw a FF 114 9.8 Susha on a sellers website for $70, which I thought was a bargain so I bought it. A few days after I got it i received an email stating it was supposed to be $700 and that it had been mislisted. Would i be willing to return it. I did not want to get anyone in trouble so I did. The company not only gave me back the $70 but added another $250, which I used to purchase a Planet Comics #59 (which I later had slabbed at 7.0), In my opinion they so over valued the pedigree FF that they were willing to part with the far more rare and desirable Planet.

BTW, they never did sell the FF!

Double covers definitely have more value because they're uncommon on older issues like that. Also, I will pay more for a pedigree because I love the story that's attached to the book. You read about the history of it and then it's like, how cool is that? And now I'm holding it my hand as part of MY collection.

I don't think a pedigree adds value to a book...at least not for me. A 9.8 is a 9.8 in my book. But like any collectible they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Sometimes people OVER pay.

A couple of years back I saw a FF 114 9.8 Susha on a sellers website for $70, which I thought was a bargain so I bought it. A few days after I got it i received an email stating it was supposed to be $700 and that it had been mislisted. Would i be willing to return it. I did not want to get anyone in trouble so I did. The company not only gave me back the $70 but added another $250, which I used to purchase a Planet Comics #59 (which I later had slabbed at 7.0), In my opinion they so over valued the pedigree FF that they were willing to part with the far more rare and desirable Planet.

BTW, they never did sell the FF!

That's quite a story! I imagine a lot of people in your position would not have been willing to return the book. The Planet Comics #59 will always be special!

That's quite a story! I imagine a lot of people in your position would not have been willing to return the book. The Planet Comics #59 will always be special!

I just had this image of some kid who made a mistake losing his job and didn't want to be responsible for that!