• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with the (EDITED) number if auctions in the buy it section?

58 posts in this topic

If the OP is having bourbon while typing this, at least it would explain (though not excuse) the poor use of grammar and the insensitive use of the R word. Otherwise, he is simply an embarrassment to fellow Virginians and should delete his comments. In fact, he should most likely do that anyway.

Given that "retarded" literally means "slowed", the use of the word here does semantically suggest the opposite of OP's original point.

On a side note, I like that seller's are using more auctions here. I don't see the problem. (shrug)

Regardless of my opinion, which I stand by, I've learned one thing today. I need a proofreader when I haven't slept. It's amazing how that's driven the comments more than the comments themselves.

I agree that I hate the auctions as well. Most of the time I'd rather find the book I want and say :takeit:. Not wait around and possibly have someone else get the book instead of me. When I buy off ebay, I usually will buy from people using Buy it Now and then will look for other things they have to combine shipping. Waiting for an auction sucks because I may not get that item, and if I want to combine shipping, I may end end just paying shipping for one book when I could have gotten two for the same cost, and that's not an intelligent use of my money.

Also the OPs use of the R-word…..now I'm from a more liberal part of the country and I am use to being around people with disabilities (BTW….people are disabled…things are handicapped…people are not handicapped). The use of retarded is fine as long as it is not directed at or about a person, that is when you cross into PC territory. People need to get off their high horse and stop being so sensitive about everything.

On a side note, I like that seller's are using more auctions here. I don't see the problem. (shrug)

Seems like the common opinion here. That's cool with me. I like a place where I can go when I'm browsing for books that isn't an auction. There's Heritage, CL, eBay, etc., etc., etc. but not too many places where I can go to find books with solid grading at fair/low retail prices. For me, it feels like we're moving away from that and going in the other direction. That said, there have been a couple of good points made like the sales cycle shortened, that I didn't consider.

The other points about my grammatical aptitude make me want to rethink my profession... Which has a lot to do with writing... Sigh........

If the OP is having bourbon while typing this, at least it would explain (though not excuse) the poor use of grammar and the insensitive use of the R word. Otherwise, he is simply an embarrassment to fellow Virginians and should delete his comments. In fact, he should most likely do that anyway.

Really? Harsh... And no offense on my part intended.

The use of retarded is fine as long as it is not directed at or about a person, that is when you cross into PC territory. People need to get off their high horse and stop being so sensitive about everything.

:o Common sense in CG? !?!? :o

The use of retarded is fine as long as it is not directed at or about a person, that is when you cross into PC territory. People need to get off their high horse and stop being so sensitive about everything.

Sorry…just woke up…don't know what I was thinking! That extra hour really *spoons* with you!

Everyone wants to buy low and gets mad when a seller prices high. Rinse and Repeat.

Dan

I actually don't mind paying a little extra for a book that I like as long as its a reasonable offer. I think most of the people who sell here have offered good deals. I should have clarified that most of my comic buying has been through eBay where the majority of sellers there demand crazy prices for non key books. Sellers and buyers have made the market into what it is today and whether I like it or not. it is what it is,

First part of sentence, meet last part of sentence. :hi:

n8okwfL.jpg

-slym

Really? Harsh... And no offense on my part intended.

That was a bit harsh on my part. Sorry about that. So we both learned a valuable lesson. No posting by you while drinking bourbon and no posting by me before my morning coffee. lol;)

I agree that I hate the auctions as well. Most of the time I'd rather find the book I want and say :takeit:. Not wait around and possibly have someone else get the book instead of me. When I buy off ebay, I usually will buy from people using Buy it Now and then will look for other things they have to combine shipping. Waiting for an auction sucks because I may not get that item, and if I want to combine shipping, I may end end just paying shipping for one book when I could have gotten two for the same cost, and that's not an intelligent use of my money.

Also the OPs use of the R-word…..now I'm from a more liberal part of the country and I am use to being around people with disabilities (BTW….people are disabled…things are handicapped…people are not handicapped). The use of retarded is fine as long as it is not directed at or about a person, that is when you cross into PC territory. People need to get off their high horse and stop being so sensitive about everything.

If you don't like auctions though, aren't you able to just move on to another sales thread? Some people love the auction format. Obviously both have their advantages and drawbacks.

If you don't like auctions though, aren't you able to just move on to another sales thread? Some people love the auction format. Obviously both have their advantages and drawbacks.

Yes…but if it happens to be a book that I want and the only way to get it is through an auction, I usually have to pass on it. I'm kind of a "I want it and I want it now" type of buyer.