• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are reasonable prices for pence, .30 & .35 price variants?

97 posts in this topic

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

That's a crock...most collectors don't even know they own Canadian variants much less be able to separate pricing between them and the US versions...

Jim

So true Jim, even CGC missed this one! Time for a staff meeting:

t33798cad.jpg[/img]

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but it’s funny I can’t actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

That's a crock...most collectors don't even know they own Canadian variants much less be able to separate pricing between them and the US versions...

Jim

So true Jim, even CGC missed this one! Time for a staff meeting:

t33798cad.jpg

:takeit:

Most Conan 30 cent variants should run you less than $10.00 a copy unless they are in high grade. Case in point-I bid to upgrade my Conan #61 but I think you beat me out and still got it for less than $10.00. The others should fall somewhere in the same range unless someone is trying to upgrade.

The 35 cent variants are going to be more expensive. Again, depending on who needs one for their set this could run you $50.00 or more. The Whitman(Direct Sale) variants shouldn't run you any more than the regular editions but finding them can be a pain since most listings don't give you a clue. Good Luck.

So.

Since this post is almost 4 years old now.

What are prices like now?

Gone up, down, or stayed the same?

Anyone have an answer to this?

Or have most of the price variant collectors moved on to other things?

So.

Since this post is almost 4 years old now.

What are prices like now?

Gone up, down, or stayed the same?

Anyone have an answer to this?

Or have most of the price variant collectors moved on to other things?

Shieldagent :applause: has been tracking prices for 30 cent variants for several years at this link.

30 cent variant prices

Shieldagent has been tracking prices for 35 cent variants at this link.

35 cent variant prices

(2c 2c 2c - 1cent, :baiting:)

Because 30 cent variants seem to be more available than their 35 cent brethren(there are at least seven completed sets) the prices are more affordable for 30 centers than for 35 centers. There are at least two more collectors who are within three books of completing their 30 cent variant sets. If you are interested in pursuing the series, now would be as good a time as any time to start because of the availability of most of the books at reasonable prices. It is a fun and challenging set to collect and if you are real motivated, you can finish the set in two to five years.

I originally thought that the 35 centers should be as common as the 30 centers, just harder to find because the price is not highlighted in a brightly colored starburst. After several years of looking for and tracking the sales of these books at prices that certainly make them worth finding, I (along with most or the variant collectors that I correspond with) believe that the 35 centers are much less common. Since we don't have the print numbers of the books, I speculate that test market print runs for the 35 centers were smaller and survival smaller still. Remember that Marvel as a company was in severe financial distress in 1977. It has been widely reported that the gamble of the large and repeated print runs of the Star Wars 1 book (which is available as a 35 cent variant) was the key to the company's survival. The reprint titles along with the second tier titles weren't selling well. There are several collectors pursuing the 35 cent run but only one collector has finished the set. Again, it is a fun and challenging (practically impossible, actually) set and short of a large find, it will probably only take you five to fifty years to complete. :cry:

There are at least three areas where prices for the price variants will bring budget-busting jaw-dropping prices.

1. Prices have always and still get crazy for the notoriously difficult to find westerns, Hanna Barbera, war and horror titles. The demand for these books from collectors wanting to complete the variant sets regularly drives the price for low to mid-grade (beaters, really) 35 cent westerns to near four figures.

2. Some books with specialized interest like Star Wars 1 and Iron Fist 15 have always been money books. The last sale of a 9.4 Star Wars 1 was for over $12,000.

3. Finally, throw away the Overstreet guide if the book is the highest graded or condition census book in NM or better. Demand for these books comes both from "registry-set" collectors of the variant series as well as "registry-set" collectors of the individual titles now that the price variant issues have been added to the registry sets like X-Men 94 - 143. It goes without saying, that condition census first-line titles like X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man are money books.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that there are several books where there is simply no pricing information. For example (and I hesitate to give examples, because I don't need the competition), I have never seen a high-grade copy of Marvel Tales 66 30 cent variant. The highest certified copy is a 7.0. It is a hole in almost every registry set. What would a high-grade certified copy fetch at auction if one became available?

This rarity guide has some good examples on the prices of highest graded examples of 35 cent books.

35 cent information with HG sales information

Thank you both for the information.

I already know what I am after.

There is no way I will be able to chase a complete colleciton of either the 30 or 35 cent variants.

But I will eventually get all the ones that are Conan, or Conan related.

So, for 30 center's that will be

Conan 61-65

Hulk 201

Kull 16

Marvel Feature 4&5

And for 35 center's that means

Conan 75-79

Kull 21-23

Red Sonja 4&5

I already have Conan 61 & 64

And just pulled the trigger on this 65

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270321831865

I know it is only advertised as 'good'.

And many here don't like Chuck.

But I have had pretty good luck with his lower grade stuff.

At least for me, most of the time he really grades his low-grade very harshly.

I have never seen a high-grade copy of Marvel Tales 66 30 cent variant. The highest certified copy is a 7.0.

:hi:

Maybe I should slab mine. hm

Hmmm. I'll have to check, but I think most of my Marvel Tales variant keepers are upgrades bought from Langes back in 2000, so I think they're HG also. They replaced the ones I found in the wild, none of which were HG. Not an easy run to find above F. Need to find that box and check.

Jim

Not a crock at all. Canadian versions have always been subject to disdain by collectors and most dealers will point out a book is Canadian. Also, pence copies aren't "variants" as understood by most. There are mainly price variants and some cover and color variants on pre 2000 books. Don't know why, but pence copies simply aren't wanted by vast amount of US collectors of Silver Age and this always has been. Buy them if you collect them but they are poor investments

keith contarino

Agreed - neither Canadian nor UK versions are true variants - they're just the regular edition for that particular country.

As for prices, the UK versions sell for noticeably less while the Canadian versions sometimes sell for more, especially keys. I think it's because we use the same "dollar/cents" denomination, so the book doesn't look out of place.

Good thing I don't use my collections to invest.

I hunt down things that I want.

And I could care less what they will be worth in a few years.

Personally, I hope they stay dirt cheap, that way I have a chance of gathering them all.

People also keep telling me that Canadian Priced copies are worth less than the US priced ones. That may be true but its funny I cant actually find any for sale online at under guide, if they can be found at all.

Jim

Not a crock at all. Canadian versions have always been subject to disdain by collectors and most dealers will point out a book is Canadian. Also, pence copies aren't "variants" as understood by most. There are mainly price variants and some cover and color variants on pre 2000 books. Don't know why, but pence copies simply aren't wanted by vast amount of US collectors of Silver Age and this always has been. Buy them if you collect them but they are poor investments

keith contarino

Dr. Contarino!

It is an absolute pleasure to find you posting on these boards.

I've followed your advice for decades now, and have always held you in the highest regard.

I have Overstreet Updates from '91 with you talking about a grading service for comics. It's fun to see where it's led.

Thank you, sir!

Good thing I don't use my collections to invest.

I hunt down things that I want. And I could care less what they will be worth in a few years. Personally, I hope they stay dirt cheap, that way I have a chance of gathering them all.

Amen to this approach! I was overjoyed to find a Daredevil 131 UK Edition just for the uniqueness in being able to show people how a US copy differs from a UK.

dd131.jpg

I already have Conan 61 & 64

And just pulled the trigger on this 65

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270321831865

I know it is only advertised as 'good'.

And many here don't like Chuck.

But I have had pretty good luck with his lower grade stuff.

At least for me, most of the time he really grades his low-grade very harshly.

Well, guess he wasn't too harsh with this one.

con-065-price.JPG

Still, considering it only cost me just under $13 shipped to my door, I am happy with it.

"One thing to establish early on is that Marvel comics with ‘d’ (old British Pence) or ‘p’ as opposed to Cents pricing have been erroneously described as reprints or ‘UK editions’ which is suggestive of a separate print run with Pence pricing. They are not. Pence variant copies are the same book entirely as the Cents version, printed at the same time on the same press, with only a change in the cover price printing plate separating the two kinds of copies."

The above is from this web page:

http://stlcomics.com/columns/maneevent/I/

Why do collectors make such a big deal out of the price difference? Whether my DD 131 had come from the US or UK or Canada, I was still going to buy it as it is the 1st appearance of Bullseye. Who cares what the labelling states?

Why do collectors make such a big deal out of the price difference? Whether my DD 131 had come from the US or UK or Canada, I was still going to buy it as it is the 1st appearance of Bullseye. Who cares what the labelling states?

Because some insane people (like me) like to try and collect all versions of some comics.

They're still UK Editions, just like we have Canadian Editions, regardless of when or where they're printed.

The point being - they are not reprints. If people only want to collect cents versions then that's fine, understandable as they are American comics, but the pence versions came off the same presses as the US copies.

We're just looking for some respect here in the UK!