• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little moral dilemma...how to fill a spinner rack???

34 posts in this topic

Little moral dilemma here....

Bought a collection last week, and I got a perfect 80's spinner rack in the deal which I have always wanted. Now I really want to fill it. Do I spend like 500 bucks in dollar books and fill it or do I take 500 books that I cherry picked from a collection I purchased last year that I'm into for zero dollars and fill it with those?

The books I cherry picked were Marvels from the 1984-1986 era with the M logo in the price box. It's my absolute heyday of collecting when I was a kid, and are mostly just run books but they are absolutely pristine. I know they'll get damaged in the spinner but who am I kidding, it's not like I'm gonna finish the set and they are just sitting in two long boxes that I never look at anyways.

What say ye???

Jim

I agree with Jeffro that you don't need to spend anything, just fill it with books you already have.

I always thought a cool idea for a spinner rack would be to fill it with titles from my birth month or the month(s) I first started buying/collecting comics as a kid.

I filled my 1961 dell rack with all the low grade dells I could find in my collection and I bought a handful of 1961 postage stamp dells to augment the rack. Looks real cool and fun for the kids to read out of

How is this a moral dilemma?

The moral dilemma is this smartazz :makepoint:

I know I'm only the current custodian of the books that I'm contemplating putting in the spinner rack. The come from an original owner collection, and are now pushing 30 years old. They survived in pristine shape, and even though only "run" books, can I knowingly/willfully put comics in that I know will get damaged?

I don't want to put them in bags and boards, as I want the spinner to look as "authentic" as possible (even though I know the "M" logo books were the direct distribution books).

Jim

I filled mine with book titles that I love (Kirby Thors), but the copies are lower grade that I don't care if they get dinged or some sun fade.

DSCN3946.jpg

DSCN4725_zpse363603b.jpg

:cool: dang that's awesome!! :takeit:

I like that your bass photobombed the comics. You have great taste in hobbies!

How is this a moral dilemma?

The moral dilemma is this smartazz :makepoint:

I know I'm only the current custodian of the books that I'm contemplating putting in the spinner rack. The come from an original owner collection, and are now pushing 30 years old. They survived in pristine shape, and even though only "run" books, can I knowingly/willfully put comics in that I know will get damaged?

I don't want to put them in bags and boards, as I want the spinner to look as "authentic" as possible (even though I know the "M" logo books were the direct distribution books).

Jim

Sell the NM copies, buy a few readers to fill the rack, spend the rest of the money on steak. Seems obvious to me...

1st, I still don't believe Jim because he hasn't posted a pic. (shrug):foryou:

2nd, here's a spinner on Ebay for local pick up only in Michigan. He either sold this one previously or had two and is using the same picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ComicBook-Comic-Display-Spinner-Rack-/121479055336?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c48b747e8

I filled mine with book titles that I love (Kirby Thors), but the copies are lower grade that I don't care if they get dinged or some sun fade.

DSCN3946.jpg

DSCN4725_zpse363603b.jpg

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if this wasn't originally a "Hey Kids, Comics" spinner rack from the 60's that was modernized in the 70's or 80's with a new topper.

I've seen a couple like this in pics on here, holding silver age books. And they seem to be all 5-sided, like the older "Hey Kids" spinners. But the 4-sided rack I have with this topper was specifically designed to hold modern books - the bays are too narrow to fit anything pre-1974 in them.

I also recently picked up a spinner rack at auction.

Would like to have it hold books from a specific month or 3 month stretch from my childhood.

Just like it would have looked like at the novelty shop I frequented as a kid.

Is there a site that books published by month?

I'm sure I saw it posted here at one time.