• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what do you do when this happens??

114 posts in this topic

Paypal is allowing him (Taro90) to return the damaged/ destroyed book. They say that its a not as described case. I say the book was received by someone other than Thomas and that something isn't kosher. I don't know if he took a photograph of my book with some tear outs or is just simply a psycho - he chose to open a dispute 5 weeks after I opened a USPS claim because he was uncommunicative - something that would protect me and him despite his BS. Paypal could care less. Seller's beware.

Paypal is allowing him (Taro90) to return the damaged/ destroyed book. They say that its a not as described case. I say the book was received by someone other than Thomas and that something isn't kosher. I don't know if he took a photograph of my book with some tear outs or is just simply a psycho - he chose to open a dispute 5 weeks after I opened a USPS claim because he was uncommunicative - something that would protect me and him despite his BS. Paypal could care less. Seller's beware.

My detective skills are improving :acclaim:

And btw, it was a pretty looking book. Bright colors and classic Joker cover. Really solid from the sales post pics.

One of the things I will recommend is that no one can force you to send a book when you have legitimate warning signs in front of you. Might it upset the wrath of some on these boards? No matter what you are not going to please everyone in a situation like this.

However, if what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, I do not believe that anyone on these boards would frown upon you saying that you are canceling the transaction since you are getting a weird vibe from the seller.

Is this Taro90 a board member? I sure hope not.

Yes.

Oh damn,he better find a new place to scam people.He is done here! :taptaptap:

PL list is needed for this guy.

:o

I just, and I mean JUST purchased a book from this guy. It arrived a day later from payment. The whole transaction was smooth as silk.

Wow....just wow.

One of the things I will recommend is that no one can force you to send a book when you have legitimate warning signs in front of you. Might it upset the wrath of some on these boards? No matter what you are not going to please everyone in a situation like this.

However, if what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, I do not believe that anyone on these boards would frown upon you saying that you are canceling the transaction since you are getting a weird vibe from the seller.

Valuable lesson learned.

His paypal claim: "it was not the same book that I purchased. There were spine splits within the pages of the book that was not mentioned in your sales thread on the CGC message boards. That which in turned caused to come loose and detached from the book". My belief is he's pulling switch on a book. Someone else signs for it, someone else opens it - and 5 weeks later rather than respond to pm he opens the dispute with paypal - while knowing there's a claim with USPS opened by me for protection that benefits him. It'll be interesting if USPS cuts him a check as well.

I looked through some of his posts and he obviously collects GA Batman type stuff. However, there were numerous posts with 'he's broke, wants it but can't afford it' type references. Since the 'problem' book is so rare, I find it hard to believe he had another copy similar to yours with damage and pulled a switch. The collector in me also finds it hard to believe he would deliberately damage the book.

So, I think he wanted the book but couldn't afford it, procrastinated and jerked you around, and finally he really did receive a damaged book. Based on his initial actions and recognizing he probably didn't have the money, I would have passed on completing the transaction. Sometimes you have to heed the signs. Sorry this happened to you. You did nothing wrong.

I am clearly unhappy with the USPS and am inclined to believe that the book was given the proverbial "shake, rattle and roll" at every point in their system.

And although I think he's got some issues, I genuinely don't think he's got an aversion to Bunny Rabbits or is a wanna be Glenn Close stand in for "Fatal Attraction".

I do believe that someone other than me manhandled the book.

I understand what you're saying and I guess I'd have to agree. Logically, the 'book swap' or 'intentional damage' scenarios don't make a lot of sense.

However, the one thing that really makes this situation jump out as a scam is the buyer's last communication before the book was sent.

The buyer managed to work in an anecdote about eBay sellers who, irritated with his late-paying shenanigans, would intentionally send him damaged books as a form of pay-back. It's almost as if he wanted to make sure to get that possibility out there, setting the stage for something similar to happen again.

Maxwell made it clear - in the politest terms - that he wasn't thrilled with the delay in payment. And lo and behold, when the buyer receives the book it's supposedly damaged. How convenient.

Like you said, logically it doesn't make any sense. I don't see a net benefit from the buyer intentionally damaging the book or what other angle he might be working. But the way it played out, I just can't shake the scam feeling this thing gives off.

I understand what you're saying and I guess I'd have to agree. Logically, the 'book swap' or 'intentional damage' scenarios don't make a lot of sense.

However, the one thing that really makes this situation jump out as a scam is the buyer's last communication before the book was sent.

The buyer managed to work in an anecdote about eBay sellers who, irritated with his late-paying shenanigans, would intentionally send him damaged books as a form of pay-back. It's almost as if he wanted to make sure to get that possibility out there, setting the stage for something similar to happen again.

Maxwell made it clear - in the politest terms - that he wasn't thrilled with the delay in payment. And lo and behold, when the buyer receives the book it's supposedly damaged. How convenient.

Like you said, logically it doesn't make any sense. I don't see a net benefit from the buyer intentionally damaging the book or what other angle he might be working. But the way it played out, I just can't shake the scam feeling this thing gives off.

That's a good point. This is a real puzzler because if he had a LG book he wanted to swap he wouldn't have been dicking around so much. He would have just went for it. He's pulling something I'm just not sure what the hell it is.