• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My History of Comic Collecting - By Set Type

4 posts in this topic

My set descriptions as Journal entries

Hi...I've decided to jump on the "A journal a day" bandwagon...but only for a few days.

I'm going to be posting some of my set descriptions that I think are worth sharing with you guys. And I would love to hear any of your collecting experiences as it pertains to what I am writing about.

I'm going to start off with my AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1-#25 set description. Though these were not the first comics that I collected, in a way they kind of were...

SET DESCRIPTION:

Back in early 1982, when I first discovered Spider-Man comics, it was a great time for a young, new fan to start collecting.

Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. had just started their run together on ASM, back issues were still cheap, and starting with Marvel Tales #137, Spider-Man stories were being reprinted from the very beginning.

I remember I was reading the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run, the Gerry Conway/Ross Andru run, and the Roger Stern/John Romita Jr. run all at the same time, and life was absolutely wonderful!

I know this 26 issue collection was released before I was even born, but because of those Marvel Tales reprints (starting at #137), they still remind me of that wonderful time in my life.

So, it makes me very happy to not only have a complete and readable collection of these books, but to also have a complete CGC collection as well.

Here are my top 10 comics/story arcs from this set, starting with number 10:

10)

#8 - This is really the first issue that Peter interacts with his classmates and Flash Thompson starts to develop as a solid supporting character. No crazy super-villain, but a great story nonetheless.

9)

#6 - Spider-Man in the swamps of Florida, completely out of his element, and he still manages to kick the Lizard's butt!

8)

#18 - This is a great comic that shows Spider-Man/Peter's vulnerable side and makes you remember that Spider-Man is just a teenager.

7)

#25 - Spidey vs. Jameson (as the Spider-Slayer). Just awesome!

6)

#13 - Mysterio is such an interesting and weird character. Not sure why he hasn't been used in one of the Spider-Man movies yet. It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned!!!

5)

#9 - A great comic that introduces Electro for the first time and has Spider-Man once again using his science brain to defeat his foe.

4)

#11, #12 - I like anything with Doc Ock in it and these two issues are no exception.

3)

#4 - The cover and the way that Spider-Man uses his brain and not just his brawn to defeat Sandman makes this one of my favorite all-time comic books.

2)

#3 - This is the comic where I felt that Ditko and Lee hit their stride. And it was the first time I ever saw Doc Ock in a comic. He has been my favorite villain ever since.

1)

Annual #1 - The very first appearance of the Sinister Six! This comic is action packed with villains, and Ditko's splash pages throughout the book are spectacular!

16068.jpg

One of the earliest comic books I can remember ever reading, which was a gift from my Mom is Amazing Spider-Man 155, from way back in 1976. I know it isn't my very first comic (that was an Action Comics with Superman), but I remember I was just 7 then... And although I can't remember anything about the story, I do remember the cover very well which has that typical Marvel's 70's tone with all-out action and multiple scenes and images promising something "amazing". And it was more than the action on the comic which intrigued me... it was also a combination of the artwork and Spider-man's very cool uniform.

But I was still too young then to take comic books seriously. It wasn't until 3 years later when I was 10, that I got the bug. I searched for Spider-man among a few other Marvel titles I began to collect, beginning with ASM 198 & 199 which was a 2-chapter story featuring Mysterio. Then I collected the double-sized anniversary issue of ASM 200, with a 75 cents cover price, which I proudly still own. Then came ASM 201 & 202 with the Punisher.

But for some unknown reason, I lost interest in the trials and tribulations of Spider-man and I honestly don't know why. And I find that difficult to grasp being that Spidey is undoubtedly the most popular character in all of comicdom!

I remember the symbiote storyline being one of the most talked about events, and Todd McFarlane coming on board and the response from readership, but none of those things drew me in. Of course, many say, Lee and Ditko's run remain the very best in storytelling, let alone in the Spider-man mythos. And the Romita Sr. Run has received similar lauding.

As an adult, and a more refined collector, I have recognized, no true collector of holy grails and keys can have a collection without including some ASM's. And the problem with that is the high costs involved due to his immense popularity. ASM 101 is one of the keys I want to eventually add to my CGC collection, as well as 129, 121, 252, 300, and then the early one well represented in your magnificent collection.

Of course, one day, i hope to have a high grade of Amazing Fantasy 15, which, along with the first issue of Fantastic Four, are Marvel's most treasured books.

Thanks for sharing your brilliant collection. I look forward to reading more of your journals.

SW3D

Nice Spider-Man post, I'm not a Spidy collector but I have always wanted to read the omnibus/essentials/masterworks. It's good to read Spidy posts like these as a refresher, you at least have to be familiar with the basics of Spider-Man if you collect comics. I'm looking forward to reading more posts from you!

Brandon