• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein's Theft and the Artists Left Behind
1 1

542 posts in this topic

One of the few actual artists here is my significance. Someone who actually experienced art school.

lol Since when does going to art school make someone significant? Do I get a bump in my significance for getting a BFA too? :acclaim:

Did you suffer for it?

I'm suffering for it in this thread!! :ohnoez:

As I wrote yesterday, his mistake IMO was denying that he used that photo. He would have been far better to say yes he STARTED with it, but look how much I changed it!

Deleting the original source photo from his hard drive and claiming coincidence (by denying he ever saw it)...also didn't help :)

Did you actually get a degree in Art History?

Hell no. 2 years of that brainwashing was enough for me to switch majors to science.

lol

I was dumb enough.

I got an Art History Minor along with my BFA. Loved every class and my life is richer for it. :)

Hell no. 2 years of that brainwashing was enough for me to switch majors to science.

lol

I was dumb enough.

I just couldn't take it.

My teachers were such condescending too.

One guy said at least once every class period 'none of you will ever be able to draw as good as me'

Bragged constantly about his crappy drawings....

At school teachers tend to be that way, they are frustrated (stereotypically) failures who must teach because the world won't pay them to create. S they find themselves surrounded by younger and weaker artists, human nature leads them to be condescending.

But, oftentimes, art school students have no chance of success so early discouragement like this is beneficial. Weeds out those lacking confidence, and feeds the desire of the rest to succeed even more.

Also, funny story as even then, you were faced with advice that drawing skill isn't the be all end all of art, and didn't Agree even back then.

It wasn't that so much as the way they fawned over the crappiest drawing and had snide comments for anything that actually displayed any skill. Art School Confidential captured this exactly.

When it comes to the "art" that is the original topic here one quote comes to mind: "there's a sucker born every minute".

I would suggest learning more about art history starting with Manet, its a good jumping point for modern history.

You'll see Pre-Raphelites hated him also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XsIO41-RCo

Thanks for the tip, but I had enough art history courses in art school.

Haha. That too! It's the RISD arrogance so many succumb to.

I did a Summer sculpture class at RISD while I was in high school. I don't remember any arrogance, or not any more than I see everywhere in life.

Not saying this about you but the crappiest artists in my classes experienced no arrogance-just fawning.

It was the few students who could actually draw that got the brunt of their venom.

lol

I was dumb enough.

I got an Art History Minor along with my BFA. Loved every class and my life is richer for it. :)

In truth I don't mind, I got an Art Studio degree, an Art History degree and for the last two years I've been doing work for Disney. (thumbs u

Although I always wish pay was better. But who doesn't.

lol

I was dumb enough.

In truth I don't mind, I got an Art Studio degree, an Art History degree and for the last two years I've been doing work for Disney. (thumbs u

Working for Disney as an artist? That was the best possible goal one of my professors could think of. I get paid okay, but my work has next to nothing to do with what I studied in school.

Great art tends to challenge the preconceived notions of what art is.

They challenge the established sensibilities and help create a new movement to explore and discuss. They also often anger people.

It's one of the reasons why Picasso and Duchamp are considered far and away the two most influential artists of the 20th century. It's why "The Luncheon on the Grass" is considered one of the greatest and most groundbreaking pieces of the 19th century.

What he said. :applause:

I'm fairly certain everyone here agrees with this.

No one said that the least popular art is the greatest - of course that's absurd and wrong.

Glad to see that clarified, as that's an awful lot like what it sounded from your earlier post: People just go gaga over Impressionism, it's no challenge to like Impression, there's nothing controversial, or edgy, or challenging about liking it...implying, of course, that that which IS controversial, which IS edgy, which IS challenging to like...going against the flow, as it were...is preferable, simply because of its contrarian nature, and not because of any intrinsic artistic merit it may have, in and of itself.

I agree with you completely: there's a lot of out there, but the is vital in producing that which is great, by creating an environment in which experimentation...and failure...is tolerable.

The challenge, then, becomes: is this piece of abstract art ? Or is it genius? Does it follow established rules of art? If it breaks them, does it break them from an underlying foundation of craftsmanship (Picasso, for example), or is it from an underlying foundation of laziness, hackery, and lack of talent? Does it have artistic merit apart from popularity, or is it just popular, famous for being famous (Samuel L. Jackson)? Does it ride the coattails of the fame of its creator, or does it stand apart, on its own?

Theses are all questions that must be asked, of each and every piece, before it can, or should, be pronounced "art."

However, it should come as no surprise that great art challenges the notions that came before it and will often anger and incite controversy.

Yes, but the question isn't whether it angers and incites controversy....rather, for whom it does so.

If my work angers and incites controversy amongst people who don't give two squats about art, and have never even Googled pictures of fine art, much less actually spent time in a gallery, who the hell cares?

If it angers critics, however, people who have made their whole careers on telling everyone else what is, and what is not, art...ahhh, NOW I've got something worth looking into!

And any controversy is good controversy, where the artist is concerned, because controversy is exposure. Whether their art is garbage, or it is genius, the fact that people talk about it is what is important for them.

Of course, 50 years later, the battle over Abstract Expressionism and Pop Art is over for all but those whose artistic sensibilities are mired in 1945, if not 1895. Sure, we'll see if a number of currently popular artists' work stands the test of time, but, if anyone seriously thinks that Warhol and Lichtenstein are going to be found out as frauds and expunged from the pantheon of great art over the course of time, all I can say is, good luck with that. :whistle:

Haven't we moved on? Surely, we shouldn't still be talking about the great artists of the mid-20th century, should we? Pollock's been gone for almost 60 years.

In music, Phillip Glass, Pawel Szymanski, Wolfgang Rihm, these are the composers that are relevant NOW, doing 21st century work...who are the Jackson Pollocks of 2014?

As I wrote yesterday, his mistake IMO was denying that he used that photo. He would have been far better to say yes he STARTED with it, but look how much I changed it!

Deleting the original source photo from his hard drive and claiming coincidence (by denying he ever saw it)...also didn't help :)

Exactly.

lol

I was dumb enough.

Working for Disney as an artist? That was the best possible goal one of my professors could think of. I get paid okay, but my work has next to nothing to do with what I studied in school.

I design ads, track down elements and re-design poster art in about a dozen different sizes for about 20 different languages. Basiclly getting the poster art ready for digital download sites like Netflix, Vudu, iTunes., etc.

I like to think my education helped.

Edited by Rip

One of the few actual artists here is my significance. Someone who actually experienced art school.

lol Since when does going to art school make someone significant? Do I get a bump in my significance for getting a BFA too? :acclaim:

Did you suffer for it?

No, but the rest of us suffer because of it. lol

:jokealert:

A few of the most famous current artists include Jeff Koons, Banksy, and maybe Richard Prince. There are others but these come to my mind first.

Edited by Rip

A few of the most famous current artists include Jeff Koons, Banksy, and maybe Richard Prince. There are others but these come to my mind first.

And what are they doing that is a repudiation of the Abstract movement?

Art, like sharks, must always move, or it dies.

Yeah, my degrees don't mean much, except to employers and potential students, so bringing them up is rather meaningless.

:cloud9:

And what are they doing that is a repudiation of the Abstract movement?

Art, like sharks, must always move, or it dies.

Koons deals in Kitch which is an extention of Pop Art but taken to a more absurd level of banality. He also likes to push the limits of copyright laws.

Banksy is a graffiti artist/ activist. He's very witty and playful. His art often depends on what he finds on the streets.

Prince is most famous for his Nurse series. Again witty like the rest, lots of humor. He also deals in Re-photographing. Yes he is copyright infringement galore.

Edited by Rip

Did you suffer for it?

No, but the rest of us suffer because of it. lol

:jokealert:

That's it, you're going on the list!! :sumo: