• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein's Theft and the Artists Left Behind
1 1

542 posts in this topic

Similarly, a lot of Modern/Contemporary art is really, really bad. If people weren't pushing the boundaries, though, taking risks to create new, innovative and challenging art, we wouldn't get the truly inspired art that we've gotten either.

This is a great comment that well captures the middle ground of this argument. :applause:

I have never heard of Roy Litchfield either.

:gossip: He's the love child of Rob Liefeld and Roy Lichtenstein.

The one that bet his dad couldn't paint better than the characters from comic books?

I guess RL thought, if you can't beat 'em, swipe em.

But what about Philip Guston?

What about him? (shrug) I suspect that you may have more to say about him than anyone else here would? hm

Nah, not much to say other than I like him quite a bit; just curious where the Big G. stood. He was controversial when he moved into his final period. I also just wanted to take a break from the current debate.

His incessant use of reds and pinks shows he has no knowledge whatsoever of color theory.

But, he's a GENIUS

What I meant was that, standing here in 2014, it is very, very easy to like the Impressionists. My mom loves the Impressionists. My suburban friends from high school love the Impressionists. I'm sure there are Monet and Renoir books displayed proudly on many a coffee table throughout the U.S. My point is that there is absolutely nothing challenging, controversial, contrarian or edgy about liking the Impressionists. There is probably no better liked group of artists in the world today - even the most hardened Philistine would have trouble not liking the Impressionists. Clearly, just from the small sample of people we have here, the same cannot be said of much of the art from the past 75 years. That was the point I was trying to make.

So, essentially, great art is determined by who is least popular...?

hm

So, if an artist is poo-poo'd, that means liking their art is "contrarian, edgy, controversial, challenging", and that gives the work its artistic merit...?

Can't the simplest answer be that their art is sub-par...?

hm

Listen, people didn't like Beethoven's late work, either. There were actual (GASP!!) augmented chords in it! This music was jarring to the ears of the generations of music who had grown up with Bach and Mozart's clean, pretty melodies and staid, predictable major and minor triad development (though Mozart, had he lived, would have made Beethoven look like a veritable Mendelsohn...the best thing that ever happened to Beethoven's career was Mozart's death...but I digress.)

So, the idea that the modern can be jarring to the familiar isn't a new one. The nice thing about art, all artistic expression, is this: that which is truly great will endure...that which is not will fade and be forgotten.

Time is the greatest, and most objective, judge of art that exists.

Wikopedia has an interesting article on another spoon "modern" artist

named John Seward Johnson , who's statues are revered in the modern art

world but the rest of us commoner realize they are just spoon ,same with Litchfield,... I never even heard of this spoon Roy Litchfield until this thread and I consider myself well read and appreciative of good art, after seeing Litchfield's work I realize a was not missing anything .

What makes you think that John Seward Johnson's work is "revered in the modern art world"? This is the type of kitschy crepe that appeals more to "commoners" than art critics. (shrug)

I still think this "Roy Litchfield" character was pretty good. ;)

well if you think copycat RLspoon is pretty good then you must think

Howard Finster

is Rembrandt reincarnated

Great art tends to challenge the preconceived notions of what art is.

They challenge the established sensibilities and help create a new movement to explore and discuss. They also often anger people.

It's one of the reasons why Picasso and Duchamp are considered far and away the two most influential artists of the 20th century. It's why "The Luncheon on the Grass" is considered one of the greatest and most groundbreaking pieces of the 19th century.

Edited by Rip

Great art tends to challenge the preconceived notions of what art is.

They challenge the established sensibilities and help create a new movement to explore and discuss. They also often anger people.

It's one of the reasons why Picasso and Duchamp are considered far and away the two most influential artists of the 20th century. It's why "The Luncheon on the Grass" is considered one of the greatest and most groundbreaking pieces of the 19th century.

Picasso and Duchamp could draw if they wanted to as evidenced by their early work.

Guston - not so much

not at all