• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lichtenstein's Theft and the Artists Left Behind
1 1

542 posts in this topic

The fine art world is a charade. It;s the emperor has no clothes. Any comic artist could paint an extra large painting of one of their panels. There's nothing special about Lichtenstein. Except that everyone in the fine art world has agreed to agree he's special.

Even for a laymen, there must be something more special about him, or we wouldn't be talking about it so strongly over 50 years after the point. :gossip:

:gossip: His paintings sell for big bucks and I get the feeling kav doesn't like it.

This forum needs a Jeff Koons thread. :acclaim:

The fine art world is a charade. It;s the emperor has no clothes. Any comic artist could paint an extra large painting of one of their panels. There's nothing special about Lichtenstein. Except that everyone in the fine art world has agreed to agree he's special.

Even for a laymen, there must be something more special about him, or we wouldn't be talking about it so strongly over 50 years after the point. :gossip:

No-we're talking about him because the fine art world gave him the stamp of approval so he went in the annals of history as a fine artist. Just like the guy who did pee Christ and the guy who did the blank white canvas.

:gossip: His paintings sell for big bucks and I get the feeling kav doesn't like it.

lol You might find me on the other side of that discussion!

It's ok his paintings go for big bucks just make sure everyone knows why-not because he's some extraordinary artist but because he was in the right circles to get the stamp of approval. Politics, not talent.

No-we're talking about him because the fine art world gave him the stamp of approval so he went in the annals of history as a fine artist. Just like the guy who did pee Christ and the guy who did the blank white canvas.

So what do you care then what the fine art world thinks 50 years after.

So, it's silly to be so upset now, fifty years later because if how things worked out. Heath is near broke NOT because Lichtenstein ripped him off, but because the comics industry did! Never paying enough money so the artists and writers to save up for retirement...

(boy, this will get me in trouble)

Why haven't these artists made better choices in life, that they are in the predicaments they are at this stage in the game?

Bob Kane was an artist. Stan Lee was a writer. Bob Kane died a wealthy man.

Stan Lee is worth a fortune.

What made those guys succeed, where others have failed? Was Bob Kane special? Is Stan Lee special? Or did they simply make better choices in life?

Why are people made to feel sorry for those who had their entire lives to prepare for this time, and did not spend their money wisely?

Yes, I know, heartless. "You don't know the circumstances!!" etc.

:popcorn:

(I love Russ Heath's work, and I'm glad HERO has helped him.)

Because they tried to make me swallow this in art school. And, it's still ongoing. Pointless insufficiently_thoughtful_persons vomiting on a piece of cardboard lauded as geniuses. Incredible artists virtually ignored. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Because they tried to make me swallow this in art school. And, it's still ongoing. Pointless insufficiently_thoughtful_persons vomiting on a piece of cardboard lauded as geniuses. Incredible artists virtually ignored. It just rubs me the wrong way.

What makes you the arbitrator of taste? The main point of the modern art movement was to expand upon the notion of what is art, not contract it.

Edited by Rip

What makes you the arbitrator of taste? The main point of the modern art movement was to expand upon the notion of what is art, not contract it.

Common sense makes me an arbiter of taste.

A crucifix in a jar of urine is not art

It's not rocket science.

Any 15 year old can be taught how to transfer a comic panel to a large canvas. There is no special skill required.

And if you want to 'expand' what is art then taking a dump is art. A wadded up kleenex is art.

I say no.

It's not rocket science.

Any 15 year old can be taught how to transfer a comic panel to a large canvas. There is no special skill required.

Then why didn't one think of it first? Technical skill is just one tool.

It's not rocket science.

15 year olds have been transferring images onto school walls for decades. Also onto large canvases.

They did think of it first.

Matter of fact my HS had a similar image on the wall, painted 16 years prior.

It's not rocket science.

15 year olds have been transferring images onto school walls for decades. Also onto large canvases.

They did think of it first.

Matter of fact my HS had a similar image on the wall, painted 16 years prior.

Maybe they should have offered to put one in a Museum next to the elephant who paints like Jackson Pollock.

Would have been nice to see one of these and compare.

Maybe I could have drawn a mustache on one of them also?

Edited by Rip

If we're talking about Pollock heres what comic artist Greg Horn thought about his painting. "No.5"

Greg Horn-"It’s 1948…artist Jackson Pollock ascends a ladder, and has a diarrhea explosion on a fiberboard canvas… 60 years later, the painting titled “No. 5” sells for $140 million… this should INSPIRE you…just think what YOU could do with a bottle a whiskey, a bean burrito and a ladder."

Edited by DeadPoolJr.

The difference between fine and graphic arts is the graphic artist actually has to be able to draw. Fine artist can pee on a canvas and if it's marketed correctly VOILA he's a GENIUS.

Then why do all bullpen artists choose to craft superior skills and not make any money?

Warhol is a good example there is a commercial artist out there that designed the Campbell soup package and he was probably paid by work for hire while Warhol's work sold for millions. Credit should be given to the artists that envisaged the work in the first place only using their imagination, even if they were good or bad artists they still deserve the credit.
If you paint a bowl of fruit credit should be paid to the guy who grew that mess in Equador.

The difference between fine and graphic arts is the graphic artist actually has to be able to draw. Fine artist can pee on a canvas and if it's marketed correctly VOILA he's a GENIUS.

Then why do all bullpen artists choose to craft superior skills and not make any money?

Becoming a fine artist is a *spoon* shoot.

There's no direct path to it.