• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading question on "chips"

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone come across or seen a CGC'd book with a small chip out of 1 corner or another listed as very high grade? I have an FF49 that is a terrific copy BUT it has a small chip out of the top right corner. I am interested in sending it in but not if it is going to come back as anything lower then a VF because of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Has anyone come across or seen a CGC'd book with a small chip out of 1 corner or another listed as very high grade? I have an FF49 that is a terrific copy BUT it has a small chip out of the top right corner. I am interested in sending it in but not if it is going to come back as anything lower then a VF because of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Post a scan and you'll get a million opinions.

I have seen a book that was about a 9.4 get dinged down to a 9.2 because of a small corner chip on the back cover. If it's the front cover and the rest of the book is 9.4 or so, a small chip would probably take it to 8.5 or 9.0. But it depends on the rest of the book and also on how small the chip is. The effect it will have on the CGC grade also depends on whether the chip is a production defect or not.

Thanks,

Steve

It really depends how "small" small is -- if it's 1/4" square or larger - it will get hit hard. makepoint.gif

Ok I have attached a link because I can't freakin figure out how to put the file in the body of the text. Its a big file so I would get in trouble anyway. makepoint.gif

The book has some tanning to the inside edges and shows towards the top staple.

Steve

http://www.brotherselectronics.com/Steve/ff49-1.jpg

Tough book to grade. Christo_pull_hair.gif

It really looks NM except for the chip.

Maybe it gets an 8.0 or 8.5 or does it get a Qualified 9.4.

I don't know.

I do know that I had a book that had a bigger chip out of the back cover (in the middle of the bottom edge) that got a CGC 9.0 (the rest of the book looked NM). But of course that was on the back cover.

I would get it graded just using the economy tier and see what happens. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nice book - I don't think that's going to hurt you too much, and I'll tell you why I think not: It's a small chip due to the overhang along the top edge, i.e., a "logical" chip related to a production defect. I think you're lookin' at at least a 9.0 - What's the back cover look like?

(Oh, and I agree with sfilosa - in fact, I agree with pretty much everything he says! 27_laughing.gif)

i doubt that this book would get a green label because the primary defect isn't going to knock it down too far...........

once i get over the BIG SCAN issue and realize that those 3 or so spine nicks probably almost aren't visible in real life, i'd have tio agree with David that a 9.0 seems like a logical choice. (hell even that chip wouldn't stand out like it does in the scan).

i doubt that this book would get a green label because the primary defect isn't going to knock it down too far...........

once i get over the BIG SCAN issue and realize that those 3 or so spine nicks probably almost aren't visible in real life, i'd have tio agree with David that a 9.0 seems like a logical choice. (hell even that chip wouldn't stand out like it does in the scan).

I would probably give it an 8.5, but a 9.0 wouldn't shock me.

Rube, let me know if you want to sell it. I'm looking for one in that grade range.

Thanks! That book (avengers) has much nicer corners though. Plus the "chips" on that Avengers I think are more from the manufacturing (cutting) process which might get graded differently. I had a Hulk 102 and Captain Marvel 1 both 9.6's with the same problem. I appreciate you showing me that though. I have traded it back for other books.

Steve