• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an oddball: Nostalgic Mad #2 - Opinions please

8 posts in this topic

This comic book was an insert to Mad Special #12 from 1973. It is a 36-page collection of classic Mad stories, with a Harvey Kurtzman cover and no advertising. It has moderate spine damage, caused (I believe) from being glued inside the center of the Mad Special magazine. I doubt that there are any copies that don't exhibit at least some of this kind of damage, unless they are still bound in the original magazine.

NM%202s.jpg

NM%202bs.jpg

DL,

Well, I agree and disagree. IMHO the mag itself is relatively worthless. But I would take the inserts in any condition - short of the REAL thing (see back cover) It's just killer stuff! makepoint.gif

I don't think the inserts have any value though. Even though you might want them, they are part of the original magazine they were printed in.

I could be wrong, because I don't normally collect Mads. Is there a market for removed inserts like these?

well, as you've already stated, the spine is pretty messy. but stepping back and looking at the whole book, the rest is very nice. URC crease and that long diagonal crease on the back cover are about the only other things that stand out.

i'd have to guess around a 4.0-4.5.............

i'd also think there may be some market for these, even if only for the collectors who are missing the insert............ grin.gif

The "Carload O'Crumb" insert from Cheri magazine has some value,even detached from the magazine, but that's a comic insert from a non-comic magazine. I would think that a Mad insert from a Mad magazine would at best have a reading/curiosity value of a buck or so.