• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most valuable modern age comics?

103 posts in this topic

Some that come immediately to mind that are the most costly, and have been for at least two years or more are:

WD #1

Batman 608 RRP

Wolverine #145, Nabisco

ASM 667 (Dell'Otto)

ASM 678 (VenoMJ)

Wolverine 1 (Deadpool mash-up)

Siege 3 (Deadpool)

Uncanny X-men 510 (Partial Sketch)

Any one of the aforementioned books have consistently gone for big bucks, some for several thousands of dollars, in 9.8 and down for an extended period of time, and I would say they are the most valuable moderns out there, if you can even find them. Some of them hardly ever even come up for sale, let alone in a 9.8.

Sandman 8, editorial would be considered a copper age book.

I also do not include any "error" versions of any books on the list, nor do I include fringe, ultra niche books. I'm only talking mainstream, regular distribution books.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any others I'm missing.

-J.

Excellent list jaydog. The asm #700 ditko fetches some crazy prices as well.

Strictly speaking in terms of "valuable" I would expand from jaydog's list and categorize them into tiers. Am I missing anything else?

Tier 1. (Over 1k sales)

WD #1

Batman 608 RRP

Wolverine #145, Nabisco

ASM 667 (Dell'Otto)

ASM 678 (VenoMJ)

Siege 3 (Deadpool)

Saga rrp? Could be tier 2?

Asm 700 ditko

Tier 2 (under 1k)

Preacher

Invincible

Y the last man

Chew

Sandman

Tier 3 (under $300)

Saga #1 regular printing

Wytches NYCC 1

Tier 4 (under $100)

Any newly released #1 at 9.8

Strictly speaking in terms of "valuable" I would expand from jaydog's list and categorize them into tiers. Am I missing anything else?

Tier 1. (Over 1k sales)

WD #1

Batman 608 RRP

Wolverine #145, Nabisco

ASM 667 (Dell'Otto)

ASM 678 (VenoMJ)

Siege 3 (Deadpool)

Saga rrp? Could be tier 2?

Asm 700 ditko

Tier 2 (under 1k)

Preacher

Invincible

Y the last man

Chew

Sandman

Tier 3 (under $300)

Saga #1 regular printing

Watches NYCC

Tier 4 (under $100)

Any newly released #1 at 9.8

I thought about the ASM 700 ditko, it seemed a bit new-ish to me, but I agree it probably deserves a place in your tier 1. Especially the Stan Lee "signed 90th birthday" version of that variant. It routinely goes for $1300-1800.

The saga 1 rrp I also thought about but would put that in your tier 2. Only the SS version approaches $1k.

While we're at it, let's add batman 1 new 52 sketch variant to the list. That's a fairly consistent $400-500 book.

-J.

An uncanny xmen 510 raw recently sold for close to $800 and a 9.4 sold for 1k. The wolverine 1 deadpool mashup had a 8.5 sold for $560 and 9.6 for like $900

I think if there is a data to support the value of the comic raw or graded why not?

hm

I always find these modern discussions interesting since I like seeing the viewpoints of modern collectors.

An uncanny xmen 510 raw recently sold for close to $800 and a 9.4 sold for 1k. The wolverine 1 deadpool mashup had a 8.5 sold for $560 and 9.6 for like $900

I think if there is a data to support the value of the comic raw or graded why not?

hm

I always find these modern discussions interesting since I like seeing the viewpoints of modern collectors.

Since the modern age is so 9.8-centric it's probably easier to limit it to that. But obviously if a book sells for several hundreds of dollars raw, and $1000+ below even a 9.8, there's a good chance it belongs on the list. (thumbs u

By the way, the last wolverine 1 Deadpool mashup, 9.6 went for $1,150.

-J.

slym2none I am not saying these are the most valuable modern age on Earth. I am saying these are the most valuable I have.

I was only answering the question posed in the thread's title.

No offense intended.

-slym

I was ready to answer the question posed in this thread title. The title of this thread is very confusing.

I don't know, the thread title seems pretty clear. It's just that nobody has a clear idea of what "modern" means in this context.

Most of the most valuable moderns are either RRP's or variants. I don't count the flash in the pans either that are only "valuable" for a short amount of time and then bust (like most of them do). They should have maintained their value and desirability for years, and preferably with steady price appreciation. Of course WD #1 is the king of the moderns that are not a variant or RRP.

Some that come immediately to mind that are the most costly, and have been for at least two years or more are:

WD #1

Batman 608 RRP

Wolverine #145, Nabisco

ASM 667 (Dell'Otto)

ASM 678 (VenoMJ)

Siege 3 (Deadpool)

Any one of the aforementioned books have consistently gone for big bucks, some for several thousands of dollars, in 9.8 and down for an extended period of time, and I would say they are the most valuable moderns out there, if you can even find them. Some of them hardly ever even come up for sale, let alone in a 9.8.

Sandman 8, editorial would be considered a copper age book.

I also do not include any "error" versions of any books on the list, nor do I include fringe, ultra niche books. I'm only talking mainstream, regular distribution books.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows of any others I'm missing.

-J.

Ok question. Can you explain why each of those books are in that price range?

With the exception of the following:

WD #1

BA12

ASM 678 Venom

ASM 700 Ditko

I know about these and their significance.

The most valuable modern book is, of course, Walking Dead #1, when all grades are taken into account.

Oddball variants, however, are creeping up there (which is bizarre. The most expensive variants in the early 90's were $150-$200. Even a Spiderman Plat #1 could be had for $200 if you looked hard enough. Yes, print run, demand, etc.)

New Mutants 98 fit in this group? I see that going for insane money on ebay these days.

ASM 301 and NM 98 are both copper age.

As for why the Wolverine, the UXM, siege and a couple of the ASM variants go for so much, who knows. They all have really cool covers, by some great working artists. They all also have small initial print runs. Why did those catch on and stick, and then skyrocket into the stratsosphere, and not others with similar attributes is anybody's guess. (shrug)

-J.