• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the most valuable modern age comics?

103 posts in this topic

It seems silly to lump in variants and error copies with everything else, especially due to the artificial rarity/manufactured collectible aspect of it. I'm sure Marvel or DC could could do a print run of 1 on a Spidey or Batman book and it would jump to the top the list due to the difficulty of getting it. It's more impressive in my mind when a book that could be had for the same price as any other book initially (allowing for the small variation in cover prices) attains high resale value (e.g. Batman Adventures 12, New Mutants 98, etc.)

It seems silly to lump in variants and error copies with everything else, especially due to the artificial rarity/manufactured collectible aspect of it. I'm sure Marvel or DC could could do a print run of 1 on a Spidey or Batman book and it would jump to the top the list due to the difficulty of getting it. It's more impressive in my mind when a book that could be had for the same price as any other book initially (allowing for the small variation in cover prices) attains high resale value (e.g. Batman Adventures 12, New Mutants 98, etc.)
+1

It seems silly to lump in variants and error copies with everything else, especially due to the artificial rarity/manufactured collectible aspect of it.

Accurate statement, but most artificialy manufactured collectible variants are much rarer than their first printing counterparts,

Just a factiod, jacktoid.

Time will be the vindicator.

Valid point. However, the modern collecting landscape is pretty much structured around rarity/low print runs and variants is it not? Nowhere men, wytches, hellheim, east of west, think tank, walking dead, saga, tooth and claw (the list goes on) have had variants. There was even talk of saga doing 25 different variant covers for their 25th issue. Hate it or love it , variants are here to stay. The question posed in this thread was asking about most valuable modern. If we add the caveat that no variants should be included, id go with the walking dead #1.

Valid point. However, the modern collecting landscape is pretty much structured around rarity/low print runs and variants is it not? Nowhere men, wytches, hellheim, east of west, think tank, walking dead, saga, tooth and claw (the list goes on) have had variants. There was even talk of saga doing 25 different variant covers for their 25th issue. Hate it or love it , variants are here to stay. The question posed in this thread was asking about most valuable modern. If we have add the caveat that no variants should be included if go with the walking dead #1.

+1

Variants are simply the reality of the modern market.

I do agree that "error" books should not be included though.

-J.

Valid point. However, the modern collecting landscape is pretty much structured around rarity/low print runs and variants is it not? Nowhere men, wytches, hellheim, east of west, think tank, walking dead, saga, tooth and claw (the list goes on) have had variants. There was even talk of saga doing 25 different variant covers for their 25th issue. Hate it or love it , variants are here to stay. The question posed in this thread was asking about most valuable modern. If we add the caveat that no variants should be included, id go with the walking dead #1.

Not saying that they shouldn't be included, just that separate lists makes more sense if you want an accurate overview of the value vs the purchase price.

Agree 100% - there should be a list of both "regular" and "variant" sales as while both are valid, they are different animals. In theory anyone could have bought a Walking Dead 1 or Batman Adventures 12 off a LCS rack, but you could not buy the Amazing Spider-Man 700 Ditko variant without some machinations.

And for our purposes, "modern" begins November 18, 1992.

Agree 100% - there should be a list of both "regular" and "variant" sales as while both are valid, they are different animals. In theory anyone could have bought a Walking Dead 1 or Batman Adventures 12 off a LCS rack, but you could not buy the Amazing Spider-Man 700 Ditko variant without some machinations.

But wouldn't you agree that the playing field is leveled for all books once they hit the secondary market ?

-J.

But wouldn't you agree that the playing field is leveled for all books once they hit the secondary market ?

-J.

I wouldn't agree. The variants have a huge jump on the non-variants price wise.

This.

Maybe have two lists then?

Eventually it will get like baseball cards where the most valuable cards only have 1 to 50 cards specially printed each year. This is called manufactured rarity.

It`s been going on in baseball cards for years, and has worked.

People are paying thousands for those Mike Trout and other rookie cards that have print runs of less then 50.

This has made normal mainstream cards basically worthless. Does the comic book hobby want to go down the same path?

The modern baseball card.