• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please let this end... IDENTITY CRISIS #1-#7 BACK TO PRINT

5 posts in this topic

Press Release

This April, DC Comics brings back all seven issues of the blockbuster miniseries IDENTITY CRISIS in periodical form one last time. These Final Printings will give readers who missed it another chance to experience this monumental tale before the collected edition is released in the fall.

IDENTITY CRISIS #1-7 FINAL PRINTINGS reprint the stunning story by New York Times bestselling author Brad Meltzer with art by Rags Morales & Michael Bair. These new printings feature the original cover art by Michael Turner & Peter Steigerwald, newly adorned with black borders.

This printing will be the fourth for issue #1, the third for issue #2, and the second for #3-7.

Here is what retailers are saying about these new printings:

“With the hardcover not coming until September, it makes sense to keep this popular storyline in print,” says Rory Root of Berkeley, CA’s Comic Relief. “The nice thing about going back to press on the individual issues is that different customers can get what they need. It’s standard DC policy to meet the needs of the readers, and we appreciate it.”

“We’ll continue to sell these until the point the trade paperback comes, even after the hardcover,” says Michael Drivas of Minneapolis’s Big Brain Comics. “Right now, I have plenty of #1, but I’m out of #4, so I’ll be able to pick up the issues we need. We’ll all sell more comics and make people happy.”

“I still sell somewhere around three full sets of the issues I have in stock every week, although I’m out of some of them,” says Jeremy Shorr of Titan Comics in Dallas, TX. “The point for me about keeping them in stock is that I’m afforded the opportunity to continue the sales momentum, especially since the hardcover isn’t coming until September.”

“I’m not incredibly shocked because DC has been so responsive to retailers’ requests in the past,” says Cliff Biggers of Dr. No’s in Marietta, GA. “I’m very excited that we’re going to be able to sell the individual issues up till and after the paperback collection comes out. My customers want a great story, and that’s what this is.”

Here’s just some of the acclaim for IDENTITY CRISIS:

• “The IDENTITY CRISIS mystery involves the biggest DC heroes… And use all of Mr. Meltzer's skills as a thriller novelist.” — The New York Times

• “After more hoopla than the Olympics and Super Bowl combined, the debut issue of DC’s mega-event more than lived up to the hype, as writer Brad Meltzer and artist Rags Morales crafted a tear-jerker that made even casual fans weep.” — Wizard

• “Like WATCHMEN and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, this is a comic that fans will discuss long after the story is completed. It doesn’t matter if you’re a DC fan — if you’re a comic book fan, you should be reading IDENTITY CRISIS.” — Comic Shop News

• “Mystery novelist Brad Meltzer shows that even super-heroes have reasons to be afraid.” — Spin Magazine

• “[Rags] Morales’s muscular naturalism renders the players both timelessly iconic and believably human…” — Washington Post

• “Refreshing… Underscore that these are very human characters in a very risky business.” — Entertainment Weekly

• “Captivating.” — New York Press

• “IDENTITY CRISIS raises the bar for portraying super-heroes as deeply human creatures.” — Amazing Stories

The IDENTITY CRISIS #1-7 FINAL PRINTINGS will be solicited in February’s Previews (Volume XV #2). The issues are scheduled to arrive in stores as follows: #1 and 2 on April 6; #3 and 4 on April 13; #5 and 6 on April 20; and #7 on April 27.

As a reminder, IDENTITY CRISIS will not be collected in hardcover until September.

Hey, DC is just squeezing everything they can out of it. And people are still buying it, so why not? I would rather have the TPB out ASAP instead, but I can't begrudge DC making what they can.

So which is the better way to go: DC reprinting based on demand (perceived or real), or Marvel's no-reprint policy (which they conveniently get around anyway by selling multiple variant covers)?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Makes me proud to have been able to collect the entire series of first prints 893applaud-thumb.gif I don't really understand if DC is just reeling in a large number of new readers with I.C.? I wouldn't really see I.C. being the storyline that brings in a large group of new comic readers, due to the large amount of characters involved. Most people I think would start off reading one that they know, like Batman or Supes. I guess I just don't see how DC can completely sell out of 3 prints of the same issue, unless the same people who already own the 1st print go out and buy the 2nd and 3rd as well so they can have them all. I'll pass on that, too much effort grin.gif