• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My History of Comic Collecting - By Set Type - Part IV

4 posts in this topic

ASM #201-#300

SET DESCRIPTION:

These are the issues where my love affair with Spider-Man comics first began and to this day the Roger Stern/John Romita Jr. run of ASM is my favorite and most memorable.

The first new issue I ever bought was a copy of #227 right off the newsstand. The beginning of the love affair between the Black Cat and Spider-Man that would span the next few decades started right here. It was not until years later that I got the first part of this 2-issue arc, but I still re-read #227 over and over again.

And it just got better. Two months later the 2-part fight with Juggernaut began. These two issues were the inspiration behind everything I did to get to where I am today professionally.

And where did it go from there you ask?

Another great 2-parter with Cobra and Mister Hyde, followed by a great 4-part story involving the Tarantula, Will-'O'-The Wisp, and the Brand Corporation, in which the Tarantula is turned into a giant tarantula and ends up killing himself during a fight with Spider-Man after realizing what he's become. The splat and mess that he makes when he hits the pavement below is unforgettable!

And then...Just two issues later in ASM #238...One of the best new Spider-Man villains created since the Punisher and Jackal back in the early to mid-70s was born -- THE HOBGOBLIN! He would torment Spider-Man for the next, oh, I don't know, 450+ issues (in different incarnations of course) -- Which is over 30 years -- crazy! And I still think of him as a new villain.

The entire mystery of Hobgoblin's identity was fun to follow and spanned the next 51 issues.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the way the Hobgoblin's secret identity reveal was handled. If you read about the decisions that were made behind the scenes, it was a big mess.

Stern's version of the Hobgoblin was Roderick Kingsley, but he left before it was revealed. The next writer, Tom DeFalco, wanted it to be Richard Fisk, but also moved on before being able to reveal it. From here it bounced between the Foreigner and Ned Leeds, with Peter David finally writing a flashback issue revealing Ned Leeds as the Hobgoblin just before he dies.

A FLASHBACK?!? One of the best mysteries of all time and they reveal it, almost as an afterthought, in a flashback? Ugh.

Anyway, here are my top 10 issues / story arcs from this set:

10)

#298 - When I first saw Todd McFarlane's version of Spider-Man in this issue I remember being excited. It was different from anything I had ever seen before.

9)

#295 - Weird and quirky, but solid story, and a great cover.

8)

#261 - Even though most of the issues from #253 to #292 were weak I thought this was a strong issue. And it has one of the best covers of all time!

7)

#246 - I do not know what it is with me and filler issues, but I loved this one! Showed a nice perspective on the other characters in Peter's life.

6)

#293 / #294 - "Kraven's Last Hunt" -- AWESOME! Mike Zeck's best work!

5)

#249 / #250 / #251 - These 3 issues were superbly written and really put an exclamation point on how great Stern's Hobgoblin was (or could have been). Too bad it was pretty much Stern's last ASM. (and J.R.J.R.'s for now).

4)

#233 / #234 / #235 / #236 -

Great story arc. And the way Tarantula went out -- The best ending to a super villain ever!

3)

#248 - "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" - I was only 11 years old when this came out, but I could still appreciate a fantastic story and this one really moved me. Maybe Stern's best?!?

2)

#238 / #239 - I remember when these issues came out. You knew that you were reading something special. Too bad the whole Hobgoblin story was eventually ruined. One of the most important reveals of all time was done in a flashback (#289)???

1)

#229 / #230 - In my opinion probably the greatest Spider-Man battle of all time. This was Spider-Man at his absolute best trying to fight an unbeatable foe -- The Juggernaut! And the cover for #230 is #@&!% amazing!

And that is that!

I know I called issues #253 - #292 weak, but I should add that I did like the Ron Frenz version of Spider-Man...I just thought the writing was terrible.

16093.jpg

I think 230 is kind of a goofy cover, but still it does have Juggernaut who I love. I agree the Kraven issues look fantastic...I owned that storyline at one point and regret getting rid of it.

A few months back I picked up a really nice looking copy of issue 238 and 300 at my LCS. They are on my short list of those I need to get graded when I'm able. Going with you through these ASM journals has made me nostalgic for all these great stories...I may have to start collecting some of them again.

Yeah, since I've been revisiting this stuff in these journals I've gone back and read a bunch of these issues.

I was thinking about this the other day, but it seems like there is a definite pattern to the good versus the bad in ASM (at least in the first 350 issues).

Good-Great reads:

#1-#50

#90-#150

#190-#250

#290-#350

Waste of paper:

Everything else (except maybe an issue here and there -- maybe)