• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this considered an underground?

5 posts in this topic

I have a copy and it is indeed considered an underground comic. It came from a Black-owned bookstore, Marcus Books if my memory serves, in San Francisco back in the heyday of the Black Panthers. If you send it to CGC they will send it back to you unslabbed, as they consider it like an ashcan, and unverifiable in it's authenticity. It's a pretty rare book and one doesn't see a copy for sale very often.

EDIT: It's not listed in Kennedy, but is listed in the Fogel Supplemental Guide, not the original one.

Thanx for sharing info but doesn't cgc slab ashcans? There are a couple of slabbed DC ashcans on sale on Ebay now, one for like 5 million bucks!!! Or maybe you are saying there are so few that exists that there is nothing for cgc to compare it to? How many of these babies do you think exists?

When I sent my copy to them they said that they didn't slab Ashcans or books that looked like Black Eldridge. This was two years or so ago, and the example they used when I called them up was Eerie #1, which they compared BE to. Maybe things are different now? I have no idea how many exist. Up until recently Marcus Books was still in business and it's possible the owners have a stock of them in a warehouse somewhere...who knows? It's certainly a very uncommon book, to be sure, but your guess is as good as mine as to how many are out there these days!

BTW, were you lucky enough to get it for the 50 cents as marked on the front cover, or was that a bargain a previous owner received? My copy came in with a batch of African-American related books about ten years ago when my wife and I operated a second-hand bookstore. There was NO information about the book at all back then, and I couldn't find another copy anywhere that was listed as having been bought or sold or even acknowledged!