• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAW + Facilitator Signature Series War Stories!

23 posts in this topic

I will start at the most recent McFarlane signing once or twice a paint pen literally exploded.........

:eek:

I was like that until Todd turned it into a sweet sweet spider sketch!

We had other books where my clients would request a Gold Sig and I literally would take the book out of the window bag so Todd could sign it in a better place.........with a better color.

(Why I do not guarantee Pen Color requests!)

Ok I have a recent funny story regarding Jim Sternako at Tampa Bay Comic Con.

I had my CAW, Dean, walk over a stack of books for Jim to sign (at $20 a pop). Dean returned with all the books signed except for a Superman #400. Apparently Jim went on for about 25 min with my CAW about why he didnt want to sign the book because he didn't draw the cover. Dean was super polite and basically just accepted the fact that Jim didnt want to sign the book.

Later that afternoon I went back to Jim with another CAW and asked him to sign the book for me, which was now also signed by Mike Grell and Bernie Wrightson. Jim began to rant about why I would want to get a book signed by him on a cover he didnt do. I politely interjected and explained to him that both Mike Grell and Bernie Wrightson didnt have an issue signing it, (and with a smirk) I said they werent charging close to $20 for a signature for CGC. Jim then presented me with a smile and firm handshake and said, well I guess you got me on that. I gave him the $20 and he signed the book.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=25234&GSub=322

The most challenging thing I ever had to deal with was frickin' pirate's Sigorney Weaver Day variant at the Aliens show. He stuffed it into a modern bag with two or three boards and had these microscopic windows cut out for the signatures. Rico Rossi wanted to punch me in the face because the windows were so small.

After dealing with that all day, I tried to get the book out and into a mylar. It was wedged in there like a size fourteen foot stuffed into a size 8 shoe. I had to take a box cutter and gingerly cut the edges of the bag at the boards until it would come out.

It was a cracked out 9.8 and I was shaking like a chicken eating mess through a barb wire fence the whole time.

Thanks Anthony!!!

Nice one Dan.

I like how every time we do a signing with Mr. Romita once we get about 200+ books in he always comments that his son was so smart to switch to JRJR lol

Similar conversations happens at every signing with Mike Zeck. He could have gone simple with just four letters Z E C K. Instead he writes the full Michael J. Zeck.

Sean I liked that one.

Rich here is one at your expense bro haha!

Ok so a few years ago I was doing a few Joe Simon signings a year.

It was awesome we would go to his place on 56th street in NYC he would sign books for us pretty much whenever we asked. I loved Joe it was always our goal to be in and out as comfortably and smoothly as possible.

So one day my buddy Rich decides to hit me up. "Hey Sean I need to get some Joe Simon books signed, can you help me?"

"Sure Rich, no problem."

Now let me preface this and say that Joe had a normal 1 bedroom NYC sized apt. with a drawing table and LOTS of Comic memorabilia from all his years in the industry.

I meet up with Rich and we discuss the plan and price per autograph and we head on up. I literally have almost nothing of my own to get done, I set everything up for my buddy.

So we arrive and Joe is up and ready to go practically sitting at his drawing table.

At this time I realize that Rich does not prep his books like how I do. ALL of these books were still in an outer bag! oh no

SO---- I thought I would be hanging out with Joe watching Rich get his books signed.

This turned into the Rich Henn see how fast I can unbag and rebag ALL of my books in a close quarters hot apartment show.

I had to hop into action, help get books signed, help re-bag. I sweated a bunch and did not feel nearly as Cool as I had hoped I would. We left and I am sure Rich remembers how happy I was with how everything went lol

I want to just quote something Harmon said in a different thread.

It's how I feel all across the board regarding s/s

"ALL THE DRAGONS HAVE BEEN SLAIN." (fixed that)

I could tell you about the Stephen King signing, the Harlan Ellison s/s, or how nervous I was at flying to London that first time----and yes, the Joe Simon s/s was a trip---but I keep coming back to Harmon's exceptional quote.

It's a keeper. I want it on a t-shirt.

War stories? There's just way too many :thumbsup:

I will say the WORST thing to happen to me personally---was a HUGE rookie mistake, I dropped about a dozen of my own books on a concrete floor at NYCC. That sucked on ice.

I also want to go on record as saying---I've been doing books w/CGC for over a dozen years now---and s/s in particular for about half that time if not more. I've learned a lot, fostered a lot of relationships and have MAD love and respect for Sean McLaughlin & his partner Chris, JJ, BK, TP, Gingy, Balent & Company.

Partouche gave me yellow fever, and it's all his fault! :thumbsup:

At Fan Expo Dallas this year Torrey and I were getting books signed by Stan Lee and had a great chain going there for a while somewhere in the middle Max's little man Adam asks the question when they are flying out the next day. Max simply yells "Seven" and the next thing we know Stan signs the name "Seven." A little perplexed Stan looks at says "if I put a T here a Y here and scribble a little here... Haha, Stanley" then continues on with his $1 for me, $59 for Max, $1 for me $59 for Max while signing. One of my down rigt favorite moments of being a witness.

Second moment, still at Fan Expo Dallas, had just finished up our books with Serenity actor Ron Glass and because a request was made to have him sign in gold i had to utilize my own sharpie. Not thinking much about it Torrey and I thanked him and moved on leaving the sharpie with Mr Glass. While waiting to get our next set of books signed by Jewel Sataite Ron came jogging over to ensure something as minor as a throw away marker was returned to it's owner. Really cool guy.

:headbang: I am loving this thread so far.

All of the Dragon's have been slain! ...................... Almost!

Quick story from our recent LA Stan trip-------------

We finish the signing at 6:30.......our plan left at 9:30pm...........We had to pack up fast and check 4 bags and still return our rental car.

And then I could not find an envelope with 4 Grand Cash that my partner Chris was "responsible" for. haha!

We literally went NUTS for about 10 minutes until I finally found it in his bag that he "checked already"

That was an adrenaline rush!

:headbang: I am loving this thread so far.

All of the Dragon's have been slain! ...................... Almost!

Quick story from our recent LA Stan trip-------------

We finish the signing at 6:30.......our plan left at 9:30pm...........We had to pack up fast and check 4 bags and still return our rental car.

And then I could not find an envelope with 4 Grand Cash that my partner Chris was "responsible" for. haha!

We literally went NUTS for about 10 minutes until I finally found it in his bag that he "checked already"

That was an adrenaline rush!

#firstworldproblems

(thumbs u