• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgx interview

53 posts in this topic

For starters it reads like a press release.. NOT an interview.

To pimp his company is fine.. I guess I would do the same thing.

He wants to tell the world about his Co... fine... but do not try and fool us and say it is a real "interview"

It is a soap box.

For gods sake.. the first answer is 5 paragraphs long .. with bullet points no less.

893naughty-thumb.gif... shame shame...

Erik.. next time ask some hard hitting questions, and post some sound bites..you are the one in control.. NOT him...dont give Daniel a free mike.

Your points were lost on me, after that first loooonnnggg answer.

And this quote from Daniel does not exactly breed confidence..

Just in the year before starting the business, I gained large amounts of knowledge preparing for a career in the professional grading of comic books. The last two years running the business has further helped to fine-tune my knowledge & grading skills.

Heck.. I have been on the CGC forum for almost a year now.. AND I too have learned one heck of alot.

just my opinion

sign-rantpost.gif

Ze-

I posted the exact same response over on the STL forums. Including that quote. How he got away with saying something that vague in an "interview" is beyond me. Realistically when all was said and done, I came away with little to no information. It read like a commercial and the questions he didn't want to answer he completely danced around. The info that I did find was all thanks to the "reader's questions" portion.

Brian

Well I thank you guys for posting the link to the interview for me.

Don't worry about offending me, you guys know me a lot better than that.

I try to give all of the grading companies a fair shake over there thats all.

here is the real link BTW, click on the picture below:

columnbanner.gif

The interview certainly does not instill confidence. Love the vague answer on their credentials.

"Just in the year before starting the business, I gained large amounts of knowledge preparing for a career in the professional grading of comic books. The last two years running the business has further helped to fine-tune my knowledge & grading skills."

Pure [#@$%!!!] comedy! 27_laughing.gif

Did anyone ask why they deliberately undergrade? Personally I wouldn't send these guys my beat up readers let alone my precious high grade puppies. 893naughty-thumb.gif

"We have set limits on the amounts of books we will grade on any given day, week, or month. If we reach these limits we have procedures that will go in place to ensure we do not attempt to grade an amount of books over our set limits and the procedures would still allow us to maintain our turnaround times."

confused.gif

so, how do you stop productivity and yet meet turnaround times? Cause if I knew the secret of this, I'd get paid to stay home and do nothing!

"I have not heard of a single book that we have missed restoration on since he has joined the team."

I this verified? We know of several cases where CGC missed resto, including a fairly obvious trim job on a Batman #11. Just due to a higher level of scrutiny?

Aside from a ceredble description of why their slab is better constructed, I agree will all the criticisms so far. It DID read like a press release; I too wonder why he has a problem with credentials for himself and his staff; Sems he had a bright idea to strike it rich by being the 2nd grading company to hit the market, but is woefully undercapitalized. Complaining that CGC spends millions (how is that possible? Fupp-page ads in the comics trade press cost a few thousand each, except for Wizard and even there Im sure theres a quid pro quo going on) sounds too naive! How does he think CGC grabbed a foothold (and then a stranglehold) on the slabbing business anyway?? One customer at a time?? They need to break through to survive, or, they will disappear EVEN IF all he says about being better is true. And this effort to gain acceptance ASKS as many questions as it answers.

I liked this one:

Which person's tail would you cut first: Borock’s or Chuck’s?

DP: (Laughs out loud) I think I would enjoy the cutting of Borock’s more, but I think they could both benefit from a new style. I respect both of them so I hope I don’t catch any flack for answering this question.

I also think this reply rings very true:

CGC has known about SCS for well over two years and their solution to date is to order more ‘Do not encapsulate’ stickers.

"I have not heard of a single book that we have missed restoration on since he has joined the team."

893whatthe.gif

This is why I don't trust these guys, they continue to be dishonest even to this day.

When I got my refund from tgcomicscards/christinacollectibles even he agreed he had restored books. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Cool. Can I get free advertising...oooops....I mean a softball interview on there also?

poke2.gifstooges.gifflowerred.gif

The interviewer is CGC forumite iron_maniac, (...he's no Bawbawa Waltews sumo.gif ) and yes, the 'interview' was more of a fluff piece than an interrogation, which I'm guessing they were not looking to do; I was surprised at how tame the questions were from the CGC forumites as well, but I guessing that they bit their tongues to maintain decorum. But I think that is the point for their growing stlcomics site. They are not going to come after their guests at all, as they are just glad to get the info (whether it is is truth or not) out to their readers. George Pantela of GP Analysis also had a similar 'interview' on there recently. the interview served as a great way to intro GPA people not familiar with GPA.