• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE NOW IN | PGM Captain Britain #1 - First appearance Captain Britain

19 posts in this topic

Submitted a collection of Marvel UK books recently and would appreciate your thoughts on these. Worth noting, most feature paper covers as well, so can be very difficult to find high grade copies. Interesting to see what grades you think they'll achieve.

Second up is Captain Britain #1, launched in 1976, written by Chris Claremont and art by Herb Trimpe.

14164568489_5c94426e49_c.jpg

Super hi-res here

14347911381_6093f027ff_c.jpg

Super hi-res here

Edited by everydayastory

Did you expect them to grade so high, with the books previously in hand? :)

Very hard to find in grade, I have a high grade run of the Daredevils, and these have also the cover with the same paper stock… How are the early Captain Britain stories? Is there some particularly worth to read?

As you mention, these UK magazine size comic books can be difficult books to grade given the paper stock, but I'm getting better at it. I expected a high grade and also had pressed and cleaned, but the 9.8 was a surprise.

I also had a few Vol. 2 issues graded as well; may put these up as a grading test, so everyone can try hone their comic magazine grading skills.

Regards reading, I'm biased as I grew up with the stories, but I think the early stories by Chris Claremont and Herb Trimpe are pretty interesting and some of the latter ones, particularly the Captain America/Red Skull storyline. Essentially this book had a US creative team, specially created British characters and was published in the UK; for that alone it is worth the read in my book.

That, and all the characters that had their first appearance in the books; Captain Britain, Elizabeth Braddock (aka Psylocke) and Lance Hunter (of Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D).

I am still surprised at how little attention many US collector have given, during time, to the UK magazines which presented original material. If the characters were never presented in the USA, it could be understandable to some degree, but we have a creative team (Claremont and Davis) which actually stemmed Excalibur straight out of Captain Britain v2 #14, and it’s in these stories that Betsy Braddock gets her full physionomy as a character, culminating in New Mutants #2.

If you have some particular stories to suggest, I’d love to grab a few issues. I have most of the "new" costumed Captain Britain, but very little of the original one.

Don’t say you’re biased: bias can be a good indicator of quality… ;)

I've just spent the last year re-collecting every Captain Britain story leading up to his second introduction to U.S. Marvel comics in New Mutants Annual #2.

If you can't read them all, the stories of note for me are in the first 30 issues or so which includes the aforementioned Red Skull story guest starring Captain America and Nick Fury. After that the quality declined a little until the Siege Of Camelot storyline which featured in the Hulk Comic weekly and UK based creative team of Steve Parkhouse and John Stokes. This leads straight into the "new" Captain Britain storyline you mention.

I know that these are available in TPB; Captain Britain Vol.1 - Birth Of A Legend and Vol.2 Siege of Camelot

Thanks, if it happen you remind some specific story you loved, I’d like to check them out. :)

I am also fascinated by the Black Kinght stories produced by british authors, some of which I have reprinted in one of the Annuals. I am not a big fan of the TPBs, but the original ones might be worth checking: they look very nice.

As far as the "new" Captain Britain I am missing just a few issues of The Mighty World of Marvel, but I haven’t updated my checklists.

Grade now in

15828756938_3418ff1de0_c.jpg

Nice! Was the mask insert still fully attached? I've got a killer copy as well, but finding one with the mask in place is near impossible (I assume mine gets the green label with the loose mask). Congrats!

Grade now in

15828756938_3418ff1de0_c.jpg

Nice! Was the mask insert still fully attached? I've got a killer copy as well, but finding one with the mask in place is near impossible (I assume mine gets the green label with the loose mask). Congrats!

That's my issue as well. I have #1 and a few others that comes with the mask or some kind of insert and I dont' have it.

These are hard to grade.

I finally broke down and bought a 9.8 :)

I have heard different stories - was the mask/pinup ever attached or just inserted?

I have a copy that was graded as a GLOD 9.4 although I have the unused mask/pinup but was told by CGC not to send it in as it was loose.

Always been curious as to whether it was published with them attached and if so, how were they attached?

I have heard different stories - was the mask/pinup ever attached or just inserted?

I have a copy that was graded as a GLOD 9.4 although I have the unused mask/pinup but was told by CGC not to send it in as it was loose.

Always been curious as to whether it was published with them attached and if so, how were they attached?

I have one in for grading now. I'm estimating a 9.6 (outside chance of 9.8) and the mask is loose. There is a small stain that looks like adhesive that I'm assuming was used to initially attach the mask to the book (I think page 8-9? It was a page with an ad). I placed the mask inside the book on the page I think it was attached.

I'll let you know when i get the grade. It should be any day now.

The mask was just inserted.

I bought one as a kid from the newsagent off the shelf and as I picked it up the mask dropped out.

Confession time.... A lot of masks were left on the shelf that must've come out of other copies, so I put them in mine.

Hey! I was a kid!

I bought one as a kid from the newsagent off the shelf and as I picked it up the mask dropped out.

Confession time.... A lot of masks were left on the shelf that must've come out of other copies, so I put them in mine.

Hey! I was a kid!

That does not excuse you, but is a nice testimony regardless! :D

Hey! I was a kid!

Makes sense. I did find what looked like a small piece of a rubber band as well. I'm thinking instead of adhesive on one of the pages, I bet it's rubber band residue. Regardless, no rubber band still might cause the GLOD. Definitely a tough one to figure out.