• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to grade comis?

12 posts in this topic

I just read some reviews on Amazon and they weren't that positive. Is this the only book on the topic?

Just read the reviews too. The worst is obviously comeone who has a grudge with CGC - this is NOT titled THE CGC COMIC BOOK GRADING GUIDE.

Basically, you cannot learn grading by reading a book. You learn grading with three things: Reading A Book crazy.gifgrin.gif, looking at a lot of comics and looking at the thread here (Restoration and Grading) and gleaning lots of tidbits form the contributors' comments. But I do recommend you get the book and, as time goes by and as you see discrepencies that seem consistent, just make notations in the book!

hi.gif

I thought this thread was going to be about Commies.

_1225789_castro300.jpg

I'd say VG/F if not for the decades of cigar-smoke damage to the interior. But, atleast it's not restored. laugh.gif

Overall, a solid VG. thumbsup2.gif

Who's next?

27_laughing.gif

Could use a little pressing and up the grade a bit! insane.gif

I just read some reviews on Amazon and they weren't that positive. Is this the only book on the topic?

I don't know of any other book on comic grading, except for the 1st edition of this book. Even if there was, this is considered the standard for grading throughout the hobby. Just like Overstreet's price guide is the standard for values.

Just like some "independent" types use AMD computers and hate anything Microsoft, some people think they appear more enlightened if they don't use Overstreet guides. For example, the local comic book shop chain in Phoenix doesn't use Overstreet. I complained once that their "VF" comic was no better than a VG, and overpriced at that. The kid behind the counter told me, "Well, our owner doesn't use Overstreet for grading or pricing." That must explain why they've had the same overgraded and overpriced books behind the counter for the past 7 years.