• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone utilize pre-screening when you submit books to CGC?

44 posts in this topic

It seems like a "must-use" option if you are submitting a large group of books and even more so if you only want 9.8s. Does the service slow down the process drastically? Anyone use the service and want to say if there was any issues to look out for?

It seems like a "must-use" option if you are submitting a large group of books and even more so if you only want 9.8s. Does the service slow down the process drastically? Anyone use the service and want to say if there was any issues to look out for?

I only use it for Moderns in 9.8...when a 9.8 is worth $60+ and a 9.6 is worth $20, have no option but to use it.

It slows down the process DRASTICALLY. My last group just got shipped to me end of last week and was there since Aug 1. I have seen other MST from Mid sept already back.

it depends how good you are at pre-screening your own books, and the values of what you are selling. Does the cost for one failing the pre-screen exceed your profit margin on selling the book as a 9.6? If they are that close, you dont want to be selling it likely.

If you cant sell it in 9.6 at slabbing cost less rejection costs (break even), then pre-screen. A lot of people do the math without including the cost of the fail.

Noob.

Noob.

Yep. The grading bug has bit me but we will see how my first set of books does before I go too crazy.

I don't pre screen and we only submit for 9.8s. I guess im doing it wrong.

Seems to eliminate the risk of missing a defect and getting a 9.4 back when you were hoping for a 9.8.

Anyone know how much the fees is if a book does get returned. I looked over their fees and didn't see anything listed.

Seems to eliminate the risk of missing a defect and getting a 9.4 back when you were hoping for a 9.8.

Anyone know how much the fees is if a book does get returned. I looked over their fees and didn't see anything listed.

$5.

That is exactly why to do it. Its one thing if its a TWD 1 and a 9.4 bring in coin. Its another thing if its TWD 139 and would be lucky to get slabbing fees back.

$5.

That is exactly why to do it. Its one thing if its a TWD 1 and a 9.4 bring in coin. Its another thing if its TWD 139 and would be lucky to get slabbing fees back.

Is it $5 now? Long ago it used to be $2-3. That adds up if you don't know what you are doing in regards to 9.8's. I generally pre-screen 9.6 if sub'n books like X-Men 266/Avengers Annual 10's etc. These new moderns tho must be 9.8 as stated.

What if you use Modern Fast Track and pre-screening? Do the two cancel each other out?

Not really. I just did a MFT pre-screen and the books shipped yesterday. It'll be about a month gone from the time I mailed them out to when I received them back. I've also done MST pre-screens and those generally run about 2 1/2 months door to door.

The best thing about pre-screens is you don't get charged until the very end (frankly, how it should be for all submissions, but that's another discussion altogether).

What if you use Modern Fast Track and pre-screening? Do the two cancel each other out?

Not really. I just did a MFT pre-screen and the books shipped yesterday. It'll be about a month gone from the time I mailed them out to when I received them back. I've also done MST pre-screens and those generally run about 2 1/2 months door to door.

The best thing about pre-screens is you don't get charged until the very end (frankly, how it should be for all submissions, but that's another discussion altogether).

You don't like being charged in January and having your books in hand for May with value and econ?

$5 for rejection fee + shipping. Both ways. Adds up to be more like $10 or higher if youre book/s get rejected.

I'll take that over $30 for a modern 9.4 that you can't give away. I see it as more of a safety net then a means to submit everything and let CGC sort it out.

$5 for rejection fee + shipping. Both ways. Adds up to be more like $10 or higher if youre book/s get rejected.

I'll take that over $30 for a modern 9.4 that you can't give away. I see it as more of a safety net then a means to submit everything and let CGC sort it out.

Would prolly be easier not to submit books that are not worth $30 @ 9.4

just my opinion

Would prolly be easier not to submit books that are not worth $30 @ 9.4

just my opinion

I highly disagree. There are tons of books worth ~70-$100 in 9.8 and you can't give them away in 9.6. Sell them raw and you would be lucky to get $5 for them.

If I send 5 of the above books in and only 1 passes I have spent about $70 and would break even. If 2 pass I am +45, 3 pass +90. Or I can sell them raw and be lucky to be +25.