• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captain america #20 - CGC 5.0 blue

15 posts in this topic

Came back as cgc 5.0 blue

Captain America 20. Things to note:

1. 1/4" or less spine split at top

2. Little bit of staining on back.

3. Some tearing around staples

4. Book is secure at both staples on inside, but a little loose.

5. Help me find any resto if it exists. I don't see any, but I am painfully inadequate and I don't want to send a restored comic to CGC.

When guessing the grade, don't give me your conservative opinion, give me your best guess as to what the CGC folks typically would say.

ALL INPUT APPRECIATED

1416598929730-1358436082.jpg

1416598963023865039822.jpg

1416599010580428560031.jpg

1416599049593816060018.jpg

1416599085728-1912866876.jpg

1416599142611283124358.jpg

1416599190119954088142.jpg

1416599241064-541891230.jpg

14165992794901977145761.jpg

5.0. Nobody wants to send a restored comic to CGC but that's the chance you will have to take to get FMV. A one year premium membership yields four coupons good for grades on books up to $1000. I think it's about $125 for the membership and a standard submission is normally $55 so it's a great deal.

5.0. Nobody wants to send a restored comic to CGC but that's the chance you will have to take to get FMV. A one year premium membership yields four coupons good for grades on books up to $1000. I think it's about $125 for the membership and a standard submission is normally $55 so it's a great deal.

I agree. And I have a membership. However, if a boardie saw any resto in the pics, that would help me out tremendously in my decision to send to CGC. I appreciate the grade opinion, as always Blazing!!!

I really wish there was a resto workshop I could go to, to learn it hand on.

Hold the Torch book up to the CA 20 and see if one is noticeably smaller than the other, Mike. Also look for overly sharp corners and edges when there is obvious wear on other parts of the book. Check for additional staple holes along the spine and centerfold. See if there is any ink that bleeds through the front cover. On the front cover, see if there are any creases that should break color, but don't. If these appear painted, it is probably CT. Look for any tears that have been sealed. These will look like cracks on the interior cover, but will be dark in color. See if the interior of the book has pages that stick together where there are no staples. This means glue has been applied at some time. Even after doing all this, I have still had a couple come back with slight CT. The good news is if there is slight CT or glue on a GA book it may still get a blue label, but not if it has both.

PS-Where you posted about the Hulk 1 you got responses from Joey Post and Hero Restoration (MasterControlProgram). Both of these guys are considered experts in the field. You could send these to them for a press and they could also do a resto check for you if that is something you are concerned about. These are some real nice books. I think you will do pretty well with them. It pays to have a little faith sometimes.

Hold the Torch book up to the CA 20 and see if one is noticeably smaller than the other, Mike. Also look for overly sharp corners and edges when there is obvious wear on other parts of the book. Check for additional staple holes along the spine and centerfold. See if there is any ink that bleeds through the front cover. On the front cover, see if there are any creases that should break color, but don't. If these appear painted, it is probably CT. Look for any tears that have been sealed. These will look like cracks on the interior cover, but will be dark in color. See if the interior of the book has pages that stick together where there are no staples. This means glue has been applied at some time. Even after doing all this, I have still had a couple come back with slight CT. The good news is if there is slight CT or glue on a GA book it may still get a blue label, but not if it has both.

PS-Where you posted about the Hulk 1 you got responses from Joey Post and Hero Restoration (MasterControlProgram). Both of these guys are considered experts in the field. You could send these to them for a press and they could also do a resto check for you if that is something you are concerned about. These are some real nice books. I think you will do pretty well with them. It pays to have a little faith sometimes.

awesome info!

I am also wondering in general about cgc grading tiers. Can I get this captain america graded at the $65 price ($1000 and under books) or will CGC balk and demand I put this under the $3000 and under range (for $85). So, if this book grades at a 5.0 and is worth ~ $1350, I am little over the $1k barrier. If it grades at 4.5 though, I might be even with the $1k barrier. And if it grades as restored, I would definitely be under. Should I just submit everything in the $65 category and let CGC adjust if it is not restored and/or worth over $1k???

And then there are the restoration folks. Should I send it in to them first to do a check to save maybe a little on grading fees? Seems like it would add a lot of extra time to save a small amount.

As a final thought, I have never sent in a book to be pressed before. I have a Walking Dead #1 that has one non color breaking crease that I was thinking about sending in. It sounds like you are suggesting that it might be worth it to send in the c. america or h. torch to be pressed. I didn't think pressing would help these midgrade books. Am I wrong?

Been buying, collecting, and selling for 30 years, but I still have so much to learn.

I am also wondering in general about cgc grading tiers. Can I get this captain america graded at the $65 price ($1000 and under books) or will CGC balk and demand I put this under the $3000 and under range (for $85). So, if this book grades at a 5.0 and is worth ~ $1350, I am little over the $1k barrier. If it grades at 4.5 though, I might be even with the $1k barrier. And if it grades as restored, I would definitely be under. Should I just submit everything in the $65 category and let CGC adjust if it is not restored and/or worth over $1k???

The tiers are mostly for insurance purposes. That said if you submit something that is wildly outside the tier you put it in they will charge you.

And then there are the restoration folks. Should I send it in to them first to do a check to save maybe a little on grading fees? Seems like it would add a lot of extra time to save a small amount.

Unless you have serious doubts I'd just send them in. Especially if you are planning on selling it anyway.

As a final thought, I have never sent in a book to be pressed before. I have a Walking Dead #1 that has one non color breaking crease that I was thinking about sending in. It sounds like you are suggesting that it might be worth it to send in the c. america or h. torch to be pressed. I didn't think pressing would help these midgrade books. Am I wrong?

If you are thinking of selling them it never hurts to get them pressed first. Especially if you see pressable defects on them.

Been buying, collecting, and selling for 30 years, but I still have so much to learn.

With pressing and CGC (and the huge run up in prices) over the last 10+ years a lot of us long time collectors have a lot to learn.

4.5 was my first thought, but 5.0 is quite possible from CGC.

When comparing the size of GA books to check for trimming be aware that the width can vary greatly from issue to issue with many publishers, including Timely, and can also vary on the same issue without after sale trimming coming into play. In my experience height variation is less dramatic.