• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most lurid pre-code horror cover?

82 posts in this topic

Vote for the most lurid pre-code horror cover! Not necessarily your favorite, but what's the most disgusting? What's your fancy? Blood, injury-to-eye, corpses, severed heads, cannibalism, rotting flesh, etc? Include a pic, if possible!

What say you, pre-code horror collector? (I'm going to think about this before posting my choice)

Vote for the most lurid pre-code horror cover! Not necessarily your favorite, but what's the most disgusting? What's your fancy? Blood, injury-to-eye, corpses, severed heads, cannibalism, rotting flesh, etc? Include a pic, if possible!

What say you, pre-code horror collector? (I'm going to think about this before posting my choice)

I'm sure there are worse out there, but I'm partial to this one (it has it all)

mm18.jpg

A personal favorite due to it being bizarre as well as lurid. You've got the skull with the dagger impaling it, as well as the ant with the human head emerging from it. God knows what the cover signifies, but it's grotesque on a psychological as well as visceral level.

14081010070o.jpg

Golddust,Awesome cover my man,I've seen that cover in Comic book Marketplace before ,loved it then ,love it now!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gif Reminds me of the Zanti Misfits from the Outer Limits, my all time favorite TV show. sign-offtopic.gif Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid in the 60's !!! BTW I ,just got for Christmas the Outer Limits ,Season 2 from my Wife on DVD !! Excellent Quality!! It also goes with my Season 1 DVD set ,still my fave . That whole series was great IMO!!! even with the budgets getting lower in the 2nd season!! Sorry about getting off topic ,but I really enjoyed that show & still do !!! "Nostalgic" cloud9.gif

Anyone got a scan of Black Cat 50 that's pretty nasty. But I'm sure I'll be seeing some that are pretty [#@$%!!!] up I've never seen before in this thread.

Can't find a Black Cat 50 (surely a contender) but here's the "sister" book, as I call it (due to its' similarity) - Tomb Of Terror 15........

tomb15.jpg

Sorry it's a low grade specimen, but you get the idea.......

Here's a great yet subtle image. Got it at from Redbeard at last year's Wondercon.

wm7.jpg

That's a tight looking copy , Pov. Nice going!

See my attachment for another candidate. This one seems extra-bad to me 'cuz the dead guy is nekkid blush.gif

589a8d94a3701_688774-crimesuspenstories24.jpg.2fb3837170b38a2e432fa94a0c5b5faf.jpg

Here's a great yet subtle image. Got it at from Redbeard at last year's Wondercon.

wm7.jpg

Great book, Pov! I once had a copy that I paid 25 bucks for. Of course it's gone with the wind...

sorry.gif

So many choices - Weird Mysteries & Mister Mystery alone could dominate this thread. I thought this over an wondered should I go with gruesome ( Black Cat 50 or Weird Tales of the Future 8), after all we are talkong about horror - but decided on a cover that is technically not a horror book, and requires a close look, but is truely one of the all-time dementedly lurid pre-code covers.

688843-lss11.jpg

688843-lss11.jpg.cbbed893c252bdd61d10347a84e090ab.jpg