• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

don't look now but Ian wasn't the first to have a complete collection of DC's

27 posts in this topic

I bought a wonderful encyclopida called " The Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heros" volume 1 Batman by Michael Fleisher. This was written in 1976. What an awesome book of data on the Batman spanning 1927 to around 1965. He completed only one more volume on Wonder Woman before he gave up his quest of a eight volume series.

This would have included

Vol 3 Captain Marvel, Plastic Man and the Spirit

Vol 4 Green Lantern

Vol 5 the Flash

Vol 6 Superman

Vol 7 Captain America Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch

Vol 8 Doctor Fate ,Hawkman, Starman, and the Spectre

I wished he had finished his deram but alas it was not to be. I was reading it again and I was so surprised to read the following in the preface. To do his research he went to the source National Periodicals Publications and gained access to the treasure chest. The official library of DC comics. Here in 1969 was two of every comic book DC ever published. Truly the first of it's kind. cloud9.gif

Long before other tried it wqas already done including the elusive Buzzy #70 27_laughing.gif

here is a scan of part of the preface

dc23di.jpgacclaim.gif

Thanks to Greda Gettel who was the offical DC librarian. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Anyone who has any information on Michael Fleisher's efforts please let me know.

WEBHEAD yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I have to say there is a heck of a difference between DC's Library "acquiring" such a collection and an individual like Ian acquiring such a collection. I'd also wonder how the fact that two of every single comic DC produced was included waas verified. I know Ian has such records and can probably support his claim to having - is it still "all but one"? confused-smiley-013.gif

The day the first DC comic was published and sold...a lot of people had an entire collection of DC comics. Then they probably took their entire collection and tossed it in the trash. Can you imagine? Someone throwing away an entire collection of DC comics?!?!

The day the first DC comic was published and sold...a lot of people had an entire collection of DC comics. Then they probably took their entire collection and tossed it in the trash. Can you imagine? Someone throwing away and entire collection of DC comics?!?!

That's deep, man. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bought a wonderful encyclopida called " The Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heros" volume 1 Batman by Michael Fleisher. This was written in 1976. What an awesome book of data on the Batman spanning 1927 to around 1965. He completed only one more volume on Wonder Woman before he gave up his quest of a eight volume series.

This would have included

Vol 3 Captain Marvel, Plastic Man and the Spirit

Vol 4 Green Lantern

Vol 5 the Flash

Vol 6 Superman

Vol 7 Captain America Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch

Vol 8 Doctor Fate ,Hawkman, Starman, and the Spectre

He actually did complete Vol. 6, as I read that as a wee lad (from the local library). It really is too bad that he didn't complete the proposed series... I remember looking for them every so often for several years and vaguely recall even writing the publisher to enquire after them.

Here is one for sale.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

OK, so Ian has the first complete UNBOUND collection of DCs....

Did he complete it?

I thought he was still missing one book. confused-smiley-013.gif

You're right, I stated it wrong.

Did he ever complete the complete collection of every Motown record released in the UK?

Did he complete it?

I thought he was still missing one book. confused-smiley-013.gif

You're right, I stated it wrong.

Did he ever complete the complete collection of every Motown record released in the UK?

I think he's still missing Buzzy #70. poke2.gif

Sorry to disillusion everybody, but DC's own collection has never been nearly complete.

In the 1970s, they even issued a pamphlet to fans begging for many of their missing issues to be found.

The facts here are all skewered and wrong.

Sorry to disillusion everybody, but DC's own collection has never been nearly complete.

In the 1970s, they even issued a pamphlet to fans begging for many of their missing issues to be found.

The facts here are all skewered and wrong.

Now I posted this and of course because Pov posted it nobody reads it. Nobody cares. The love ain't here. All they care about is my little - errr - dog. frown.gif

Pov's wise words said first! "I have to say there is a heck of a difference between DC's Library "acquiring" such a collection and an individual like Ian acquiring such a collection. I'd also wonder how the fact that two of every single comic DC produced was included waas verified. I know Ian has such records and can probably support his claim to having - is it still "all but one"?"