• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aNYONE SEE Antiques Road Show,..a guy spray lacquered his books to preserve them

33 posts in this topic

So I have to ask,..why are comic collectors such idiosynchractic weird'os ?

I mean,..in no other collecting field is the behaviour of collectors so freakin weird (ie: this debate about pressing has gotten absurd to say the least -- its almost as if people think this stuff through ALL day).

On side note,...anyone who saw the episode think the appraisal was too low ??? I swear,...Antiques Road Show low balls all comic material that has ever appeared.

So I have to ask,..why are comic collectors such idiosynchractic weird'os ?

I mean,..in no other collecting field is the behaviour of collectors so freakin weird (ie: this debate about pressing has gotten absurd to say the least -- its almost as if people think this stuff through ALL day).

On side note,...anyone who saw the episode think the appraisal was too low ??? I swear,...Antiques Road Show low balls all comic material that has ever appeared.

I don't catch it as much as I used to; I actually enjoy the format -- mainly the way they present things that you normally wouldn't even pay any regard to some of the antiquities, if not for some of their shocking values. 893whatthe.gif

Of the handful of shows I've watched, I've yet to ever see them cover comics.. confused-smiley-013.gif

What were some of the books in the episodes you caught?

BTW: I do recall reading/hearing somewhere of a restoration project where a Whiz Comics 1 had a laminated cover removed. I guess the original owner thought by laminating, it would preserve the comic.... foreheadslap.gif

... i think the appraiser said $5K if not lacquered.... i think he said much less in their current state. i think i have that one saved somewhere.

although i still think he was low on the appraisal anyway.

Welcome to the jungle Destro. YO JOE!!!
COBRAAAAA!!!!!!

Did anyone else almost die from laughing watching G.I.Joe: The Movie where their battle-cry was changed to: "Cobra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!!!" ?

Did anyone else almost die from laughing watching G.I.Joe: The Movie where their battle-cry was changed to: "Cobra-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la!!!" ?

When it came out the GI Joe movie was actually pretty good, IMO. The battle cry for the regular Cobra (Commander, Destro, Baroness, etc....) remained the same. The new battle cry was from the secret Cobra society (that guy with the snake body and his minions).

Not quite as good as the Transformers movie, but still not too bad for what it was.

My favorite moments on ARS are when the people think they have something very rare/old/expensive and it turns out to be phony. I saw one man who had a bow quiver and he's all proud of it and it turns out to be a complete fake, and another woman who had some piece of pottery she thought was from china and hundreds of years old and the guy's like 'that's a very common and not very good reproduction, worth about 25-50'!

Of course, I also love when it's someone who doesn't know squat and their jaws hit the floor when they're told how much their item is worth. One guy brought in a really nice old timepiece that came in a box, the guy's just a nice old man; appraiser creams himself over it and tells him it's worth in the neighborhood of $250,000!!

good show!