• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aNYONE SEE Antiques Road Show,..a guy spray lacquered his books to preserve them

33 posts in this topic

It's a great show. Never seen any comics on it. Best (re: most expensive) items I have seen were a sword (over 100K) and an old hand-carved table (well over 100K).

The sword was pretty cool. The table was "eh", but same deal as you mentioned. The appraisal guy almost had a heart attack when he verified the maker of the table.

It's a great show. Never seen any comics on it. Best (re: most expensive) items I have seen were a sword (over 100K)

That episode with the sword "that I used to cut watermelons with" was one of several scams put on by the specific appraiser. The folks at the antiques road show has since cut all appearances of that appraiser from their old episodes.

My favorite moments on ARS are when the people think they have something very rare/old/expensive and it turns out to be phony.

That is funny but it is even better when the person lies about how much it cost (look at their eyes) and are faking it to get a "TV moment" where the appraiser tells them it is "a rare item valued at XXX thousand pounds". Instead they are told it is a forgery and get the standard reply of "for the $200 you spent, it is not a bad deal".

Most of these "oh look what I found in my attic" fakers look like they are ready to explode when their expensive and prized antique is brought out as a fake, and one lady almost had a seizure on-camera. Now that is TV.

{quote]Of course, I also love when it's someone who doesn't know squat and their jaws hit the floor when they're told how much their item is worth. One guy brought in a really nice old timepiece that came in a box, the guy's just a nice old man; appraiser creams himself over it and tells him it's worth in the neighborhood of $250,000!!

I saw an episode where a guy had this incredibly old beer stein that had amazing artistry, but it was in poor shape(cracks, etc.). You could see the guy was deliriously happy when the appraiser told him that, because of the poor condition, it was only worth "about ten thousand dollars!". I wonder what a perfect specimen would be worth?

Do tell,..

what was scam ?

Is this the guy from 'Nostalgia Factory' with the pony tail and salt and pepper hair ?

Mixed appraisers (and neither were involved with the scam.) RUDY FRANCHI is the guy from the Nostalgia Factory- one of my favorite shops from back in the day.

GARY SOHMERS might be the other guy you're thinking of- he's the guy who appraised the comics (he does some of the Radisson shows) and who I also saw out at dinner in Newton the other night.

My favorite moments on ARS are when the people think they have something very rare/old/expensive and it turns out to be phony. I saw one man who had a bow quiver and he's all proud of it and it turns out to be a complete fake, and another woman who had some piece of pottery she thought was from china and hundreds of years old and the guy's like 'that's a very common and not very good reproduction, worth about 25-50'!

Of course, I also love when it's someone who doesn't know squat and their jaws hit the floor when they're told how much their item is worth. One guy brought in a really nice old timepiece that came in a box, the guy's just a nice old man; appraiser creams himself over it and tells him it's worth in the neighborhood of $250,000!!

good show!

I agree, these are my favorite sorts of moments from the show too. I remember one in which a woman thought she had a vintage kewpie doll in perfect shape, the appraiser patiently explained that the word "reproduction" on the base, with the date "1993" meant that it was not very old.

Conversely, there was the episode in which the old guy brings in a beer stein, and it turns out to be vintage, German, and worth something like $6,000. The owner, who is clearly not doing well financially, starts crying. The appraiser asks what the sticker on the bottom of the stein that reads "50" refers to, and the owner explains that the sticker was from a recent garage sale, at which he tried to sell the stein for 50 cents !! No takers 27_laughing.gif

Anyone seen the Antiques Roadshow's "best of" episode? Great TV, showed the top 10 or so appraisals they had done, including the nice old guy who brought in the blanket he had on the back of his couch that turned out to be worth 1/2 a mil.

seen the Antiques Roadshow's "best of" episode? Great TV, showed the top 10 or so appraisals they had done, including the nice old guy who brought in the blanket he had on the back of his couch that turned out to be worth 1/2 a mil.

Yeah, it was like an original Navajo Chief's blanket. Amazing. The old guy just about fainted when they told him what it was worth. Great episode.

I saw the episode of Road Show you're talking about several months ago.

I remember a FF #1 among other Marvel keys in the set, and the guy said he wanted to make them look better or something and that was why he sprayed them with lacquer, go figure. He brought them in a breifcase as well not even bagged & boarded!