• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars VII Teaster Trailer on Black Friday

608 posts in this topic

Just watched it on my tablet since I'm stuck at work. I thought it was good and maybe the dissatisfied were expecting more footage - I wanted to see more! Since the film is still in production, I'll reserve my meager opinion until I actually see the film.

I was digging the part where it cut to the Falcon and the theme came blarring in :headbang:

Comic movies, more Star Wars movies...it's good to be breathing!

Short but sweet ;)

That trailer was better than all 3 prequel movies :banana:

I'm no fan of the prequels (although I do have a soft spot for Phantom Menace) but I still think this statement is a bit of a stretch. :foryou:

Jim

No jumbo she is correct.

I would have preferred the fan made trailers. That black dude popping up seemed comical, the lightsaber design looks like a 5 year old drew it, everything else was just filler shots. I get that it is a teaser but I've seen stronger teasers than that before. And for a movie this big, that was kind of a let down.

I'm still psyched for the movie though...and for a regular full trailer!

I don't need to reply any further, because your post nails all my sentiments exactly. All I could add is that the scene with the Falcon just screams to me, look how far we've come with CGI.

Jim

Was a big yawn for me. That lightsaber is just lame.

I'm sure the creators have a reason for that particular one. The hilt is extended to allow both hands to hold it, which is necessary due to the extended length of the blade (if you look closely it is clearly much longer than a typical lightsaber). Combine that with the crossguard (the two mini lightsabers sticking out horizontally), and its clear the blade is emulating a german/italian longsword, or something similar, from the medieval era. The crossguard being a lightsaber on its own might look lame at first, but it would need to be a lightsaber if it was actually going to protect the hands. I'm not that familiar with Star Wars to know if there is a material that can deflect a lightsaber outside of another lightsaber. Also the crossguard on a longsword was traditionally used to also attack the opponent's head after an initial strike with the blade itself was blocked.

Someone may wanna jump in an fact check me here but as I recall in the broader SW universe there were multiple variations of Lightsaber's and color.

Including this handy guy: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightwhip

Buzz

What did u think of the trailer?

Glad you asked.

From a film standpoint, the trailer works on MANY levels. Dissect the trailer image by image and you will see exactly how. The film immediately introduces the new while reminding you that this is Star Wars with the familiar. We are immediately introduced to a new character, played by John Boyega, in a familiar Stormtrooper armor without a helmet, with the familiar sound of the imperial probe droid in the background. Immediately we are filled with the sense that something urgent is occurring as a background narration claims that "there's been an awakening" and while obviously it is directed toward an unknown character, the voice is obviously asking the audience.

Again the familiar and the new are introduced as we see the head of an astromech droid on top of a magnetized rolling ball. It looks like Star Wars... but is a little more advanced. Immediately the idea of 'urgency' is conveyed.

From there we see more of the familiar where we are introduced to a group of Stormtroopers in what appear to be updated armor designs ready to leave what is probably a dropship of some sorts. Where are they going? Again... urgency. Who is this new character on the swoop bike? Where is she headed? We see X-Wings, but as someone else said, they are familiar in design but slightly different.

It is not until the end, that after we see all of these 'new' things that seemingly fit into the Star Wars universe are we taken back to the familiar in all of it's glory. We see the Millennium Falcon engaging Tie Fighters. This allows the viewer to realize that their favorites are back for a new adventure without showing Han, Luke, Leia Chewbacca, R2-D2 or C-3PO. There is no need to even show them. It keeps the viewed interested to find out what is exactly going on with all of these new characters but allows the viewer to rest assured that they will fit in with what they know.

The trailer does what a trailer is supposed to do. It reveals NOTHING, gets the viewer interested in seeing more and reestablishes the brand.

I liked it... a lot. I want to see more. People are talking about Star Wars. The trailer works.

Buzz

Glad you asked.

From a film standpoint, the trailer works on MANY levels. Dissect the trailer image by image and you will see exactly how. The film immediately introduces the new while reminding you that this is Star Wars with the familiar. We are immediately introduced to a new character, played by John Boyega, in a familiar Stormtrooper armor without a helmet, with the familiar sound of the imperial probe droid in the background. Immediately we are filled with the sense that something urgent is occurring as a background narration claims that "there's been an awakening" and while obviously it is directed toward an unknown character, the voice is obviously asking the audience.

Again the familiar and the new are introduced as we see the head of an astromech droid on top of a magnetized rolling ball. It looks like Star Wars... but is a little more advanced. Immediately the idea of 'urgency' is conveyed.

From there we see more of the familiar where we are introduced to a group of Stormtroopers in what appear to be updated armor designs ready to leave what is probably a dropship of some sorts. Where are they going? Again... urgency. Who is this new character on the swoop bike? Where is she headed? We see X-Wings, but as someone else said, they are familiar in design but slightly different.

It is not until the end, that after we see all of these 'new' things that seemingly fit into the Star Wars universe are we taken back to the familiar in all of it's glory. We see the Millennium Falcon engaging Tie Fighters. This allows the viewer to realize that their favorites are back for a new adventure without showing Han, Luke, Leia Chewbacca, R2-D2 or C-3PO. There is no need to even show them. It keeps the viewed interested to find out what is exactly going on with all of these new characters but allows the viewer to rest assured that they will fit in with what they know.

The trailer does what a trailer is supposed to do. It reveals NOTHING, gets the viewer interested in seeing more and reestablishes the brand.

I liked it... a lot. I want to see more. People are talking about Star Wars. The trailer works.

You forgot the most important part. The new Sith/Dark Jedi with the epic Red Blade!!!!!! :baiting: I just came. :cloud9:

Buzz

Glad you asked.

J J, is that you? ;)

It was complete and utter arse and makes me look back wistfully to Jar-Jar and the Ewoks. :facepalm:

J J, is that you? ;)

It was complete and utter arse and makes me look back wistfully to Jar-Jar and the Ewoks. :facepalm:

so does this mean you liked it or not?

Being a child of the 70's this is evoking those emotions of seeing Star Wars for the first time.

For me, this is the most anticipated movie in the last decade and I think I peed a little.

I'm so with you on this. Made me feel like a kid again - the dramatic pause before the swooping intro of the Millennium Falcon accompanied by Williams' iconic score just instills pure, unadulterated joy. :)

I feel a bit bad that for those who are so cranky or jaded that they're already proclaiming to be utterly let down and/or put off the whole film based on ~ 70 seconds of teaser footage.