• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Lanning undercuts ebayer reselling a "free" sketch

79 posts in this topic

He was not happy with an Ebayer flipping a Groot sketch he did for free at NYCC. So Andy Lanning took to twitter and poster the seller's auction and offering Groot sketches for $40 (instead of the $129 Ebayer wanted) with the profits going to Hero's Iniative.

That is pretty classy! the sketch did look pretty sweet. Who would sell their free sketches?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/11/28/andy-lanning-undercuts-ebay-sketch-flippers-for-hero-initiative/

Exactly. If youre going to get butthurt over someone selling your art, then charge for it.

It always amazes me to hear artists/creators get angry about how the art world works.

........Just checked the auction. Looks like the seller relisted it with proceeds going to charity.

Also, referring to this as the "art world" is like referring to the people who camp out in front of Walmart for three days and miss a holiday to punch an old lady in the face in order to save $150 on a TV just to they can flip it on Craigslist the next day as the "electronics retail business"

I'd be ecstatic if someone sold stuff I drew for them

I want it to go to whoever wants it most.

I just don't get this attitude or see how it is viewed as bad

I see he had to disable questions because of all the harassment he was receiving

Lanning-you are a bully

Also, referring to this as the "art world" is like referring to the people who camp out in front of Walmart for three days and miss a holiday to punch an old lady in the face in order to save $150 on a TV just to they can flip it on Craigslist the next day as the "electronics retail business"

lol what are you saying. Lannings drawing is so crude it cant be considered art? That trying to sell art on ebay doesnt count? True it isnt a christies auction and it aint no Picasso

Yea when I say art world Im speaking in general terms. If you want me to be more specific then let me rephrase what I wrote.

It always amazes me that comic book artists are surprised when people sell or flip their "art"

I agree. I know Im thrilled if someone buys my art and if they decide to sell it? Then I hope they get a ton for it. Because that means I can charge more for the next piece

lol what are you saying. Lannings drawing is so crude it cant be considered art? That trying to sell art on ebay doesnt count? True it isnt a christies auction and it aint no Picasso

Yea when I say art world Im speaking in general terms. If you want me to be more specific then let me rephrase what I wrote.

It always amazes me that comic book artists are surprised when people sell or flip their "art"

The comment wasn't about his art" don't know who the guy is, never saw any of his work.

A TV that some a-hole rioted through the Black Friday madness to save 30% for is still a TV. The guy isn't the "electronics world" though.

It always amazes me that people don't understand how rude it is to sell a gift.

The comment wasn't about his art" don't know who the guy is, never saw any of his work.

A TV that some a-hole rioted through the Black Friday madness to save 30% for is still a TV. The guy isn't the "electronics world" though.

It always amazes me that people don't understand how rude it is to sell a gift.

Me either. I never heard of him.

I would also agree. Its pretty rude to sell a gift. But that kind of thing happens at CONS (didnt say art world) all the time.

I see he had to disable questions because of all the harassment he was receiving

Lanning-you are a bully

He probably looks as it as he could have shaken hands with a fan and given him a cool gift the guy/girl would treasure, but instead he gave some snake flipper some more to sell on eBay. Only so many sketches get drawn, only so many spots in line. This group is almost universally sympathetic to the dealers who suffer from people who dare to attend a con for reasons other than buying drek from dollar bins, but nobody thinks the same about people who take a spot away from a fan so they can be sleazeballs looking for profit at any expense.

There's no strings attached. He's free to do what he wants with it. That doesn't mean it's impossible to do something with a gift that makes you a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. Your grandma knits you a sweater, don't wipe your with it, right?

There's no strings attached. He's free to do what he wants with it. That doesn't mean it's impossible to do something with a gift that makes you a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed. Your grandma knits you a sweater, don't wipe your with it, right?

:applause:

-slym

A gift has NO strings-none

No judgments attached, nothing

The guy is providing a service for someone who didnt fly to the con and pay for admission and wants the sketch

There is nothing wrong with that

According to this logic, upon someone's death all such sketches should be buried with him-they were drawn for HIM and HIM only

Sometimes things that given to you are of no use to you.

Sometimes it's financially irresponsible to not sell things.

Sometimes your priorities change.

Sometimes you just need money.

Example: My grandfather gifted me all his film cameras and lenses. These were important to him and I appreciated the gift but they were of no use to me at the time. I sold them and bought a digital camera and college books.

Plus, why get upset about something that isn't yours anymore?

A gift has NO strings-none

No judgments attached, nothing

The guy is providing a service for someone who didnt fly to the con and pay for admission and wants the sketch

There is nothing wrong with that

According to this logic, upon someone's death all such sketches should be buried with him-they were drawn for HIM and HIM only

No strings and no judgements are two completely different things. There are no strings, but there very well may be judgements.

And whatever an attendee paid to attend the con is absolutely not his concern. It didn't go into his pockets. He's providing sketches for free, to fans, to promote his work. Every person in line taking up his time with free sketches is taking time away from paying customers with commissions and actual fans that he prefers giving sketches to. He can't legally bar you from selling his gift the second you get home, but he can certainly judge you for it. And so can I. And the industry/fandom as a whole (save for very few) who do judge people exactly like that every time the situation comes up. People like him are the reason pros dislike convention attendees. People like him are the reason I wouldn't bother going to a con anyway. And people like him are why I make sure to have all my sketches personalized, so the creator knows I'm an actual fan and not just some opportunist.