• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Greatest Set posted by Mad Cop

5 posts in this topic

Only my humble opinion of course.

At a recent holiday gathering, I was asked why I chose to collect the comics I do. I have never been asked that question. Sure people have asked me general questions about collecting but nothing so specific. I did not give a very good answer at that moment but after having time to think I felt it was a good journal topic.

The comics he was referring to is my early Detective Comics, part of the set of numbers 27-200 of that title, or "the greatest set". My reasons for this distinction are somewhat obvious for anyone who participates in this hobby. First off it has a major character first appearance; Batman. It has a major sidekick first appearance; Robin. It has major villains first appearances; Penguin, Two Face, Riddler. It has major characters first cover appearances; Joker, Scarecrow, Catwoman. It has many classic/iconic covers; numbers 31, 35, and 69. The set also has rarity on its side. Some issues have less than 10 certified universal copies on the CGC census. It is almost like trying to acquire the impossible sometimes. The registry point per dollar ratio on this site for this set is horrible. Some comics ,like X-Men, you can get 4 to 1 on a 9.6 that there are 40 of on the census. Yet in this set, you get 1 to 3 on a 6.0 that there are only 4 comics graded higher. The ratio is even worse on keys in mid grades where you have to spend a fortune and see your point total raise slightly. All of these factors make me love Detective Comics 27 thru 200.

Eventually I will show that relative this article to better explain the answer I gave on such short notice, "ahhh, I like Batman?". Oh well.

An honorable mention would be Amazing Spiderman 1 to 100 but I'm sure others would be stated if we took a poll of the registry members.

See more journals by Mad Cop

^^

Good answer. And I understand your love/frustration relationship with /points/ for 40s & 50s DC mid-grade books.

I love Strange Adventures - it's the only 'set' that I seriously pursue - and just the simple joy of finding a copy of some of the issues worth slabbing (there are many that have zero in the census) - is worth it.

Are there a lot of keys? no - #9, is fairly available; #117, more available recently - but mostly 7.5s and lower; that's about it until you get into the more avalble issues of the 60s.

But still - it's what I love. Collect what you love.

Happy Hunting!

Lee K

My premier set is Captain Marvel Adventures so obviously Captain Marvel is my favorite hero and Captain Marvel Adventures my favorite GA comic, correct? Well, not really. I am definitely a fan of Captain Marvel and have been since I was a kid but he's not my favorite character. Here are some comics that I would choose over Captain Marvel Adventures: Action Comics, Superman Comics, All-Star Comics, All-American Comics, Comic Cavalcade and perhaps World's Finest.

So why am I collecting Captain Marvel Adventures instead of others which I would prefer? First is economics. High grade issues of any of those sets are far more expensive than CMA. Based on my budget I could get a set of mediocre comics from the sets listed above or high grade issues of a set I'm not quite as interested in. Second is availablility. Although there is not a massive volume of graded CMA for any one issue the run has a definite start and finish at 150 issues and with 150 issues there is always something available. The other comics tend to have less availability.

I have 26 highest grade issues of Captain Marvel Adventures and there is absolutely no way I could do that with any of the other sets. As the saying goes if you can't be with the one you love than love the one you're with.

Detective Comics #27 to #200 is quite a run indeed. You touched on all the special points of this run, the first appearances, the classic covers and the scarcity of these important issues. Numbers 29, 31 and 168 are some of my favorite Golden Age Detective covers. Best of luck in your pursuits!

Brandon