• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what is your grail?

95 posts in this topic

I dunno, it's still a grail even if it's found. A grail isn't something unattainable - it's an item that you spend significant time looking for. I would even go so far as to say a lack of money keeping you from your "grail" is still legitimate, if your quest is to find that book within your price range or on a trade given that your range is far under FMV.

It is an interesting paradox to call it a grail when so many posts are about people obtaining them.

True.

I guess if we have to post something unobtainable, I'd say a nice, unrestored Tec 27 or Cap 1 would be pretty cool.

I'm lucky - I managed to find my grail. I'd wanted an autographed cast book for 15+ years, but it was only until I was introduced to the CGC SS program did I really start looking. Assuming the census is correct, I have the only 10 signature 9.8 STTNG finale book (only three on census: mine, one with nine sigs and one with seven sigs) Click the Picard bobble head below if you want to see mine.

John DeLancie is the wildcard on the book - he made a surprise appearance at Calgary EXPO in 2012 with the nine other cast members - and I think that is the only show he appeared at with everyone for the 25th anniversary event, and I MISSED my opportunity to get the book at this show. I was heartbroken. I must have bought 20 copies of that book trying to find a 9.8 candidate. But in the end, it didn't matter - I wasn't able to submit.

The one I have now was signed in 2013 - still trying to figure out the show (3/16/13) where everyone was there, as it gave everyone a chance to get them all again. On one hand, I'm surprised there aren't very many cast-signed books, but on the other hand - if I recall, the cost of having nine signatures was somewhere around $450 for a schmuck like me to submit to a faciliatator. That's a lot of jack for a signed book. Miraculously, I stumbled across this book doing some work for one of my clients - and I asked him about it, and he sold it to me.

I've got my grail, and I'm always stoked to look at it.

gWqfEff.gif

I dunno, it's still a grail even if it's found. A grail isn't something unattainable - it's an item that you spend significant time looking for. I would even go so far as to say a lack of money keeping you from your "grail" is still legitimate, if your quest is to find that book within your price range or on a trade given that your range is far under FMV.

It took me 30 years to get copies of GSXM 1 and X-Men 94 that I was happy with, both in terms of price / affordability and overall presentation. Nothing scarce about them, just a very long journey.

I guess what I should have said was that it is paradoxical that when one grail is found another one is sought.

And I would be curious to see just how many people have similar grail's I would say Action 1 and Tec 27 would be the big two. What percent of people would call those their grail's because I would guess that they far and away they the two most sought after comics in existence?

It is kind of a sad situation because if you assume that the grail is the one and only grail, what do you do when you get it, just stop collecting knowing that there is never going to be anything as great?

I say embrace the paradox and line those grail's up!