• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I love 80 Page Giants...

115 posts in this topic

That's about right. Remember where? Your book was not listed in Shin's Master List based on the original sales manifests, but there are a possible additional 800 books that were sold off individually. The more I look at it the more I'm convinced. The brothers stole alot of the 25 centers from their dad's story, assuming they could resell them for more money.

Red

PS Give Mark Haspel a call at CGC. Maybe he could eyeball the scan.

Hook, the Action #334 IS in the ad. It's entirely possible that I did buy it from that ad, or from a later owner of the book. Around that time I was concentrating on 80 Pagers, and scanned every ad in CBG for them. It's listed as NM/M, but that could be a 9.0 in today's standards.

I PM'd the pic to Steve, and asked him to show it to Mark.

here's my absolute favorite 80 page GIANT - the first Secret Origins (#8).......... cloud9.gif

(those are Superman annual #3 and Batman annual #1 advertised on the back cover). tell me that "Goofy" Superman doesn't look suspiciously like Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman 893whatthe.gif

1106259897597_80_page_giants.jpg1106353528466_80_page_giants_001.jpg

here's my absolute favorite 80 page GIANT - the first Secret Origins (#8)..........

Now, Burnt, you know as well as I that that's not #8. It's the original Secret Origins which was eventually followed up with More Secret Origins in 80 Page Giant #8. Ze posted a pic of #8 on page one of this thread.

here's my absolute favorite 80 page GIANT - the first Secret Origins (#8)..........

Now, Burnt, you know as well as I that that's not #8. It's the original Secret Origins which was eventually followed up with More Secret Origins in 80 Page Giant #8. Ze posted a pic of #8 on page one of this thread.

i stand corrected. i didn't recall that book being part of the 80 page giant series, but when i looked it up today, i misread the "see 80 page giant #8" blurb.... sorry.gif

this Original Secret Origins 80 pager from 8/1961, actually PRECEEDS the 80 page Giant series by a full THREE years!!!! yay.gif

heck despite it's similar 25cent cost, this Giant book was released while the regular DC's were still selling for 10 cents........... 893whatthe.gif

Does it also precede the Batman, Superman, Lois Lane, & Flash annuals? Is it the first 80 Page Giant?

based on the back cover advertising (and Overstreet), i'd say that it ties for the 3d ever 80 pager from DC with Batman annual #1 and Supes #3. and is after Supes annuals # 1 & 2. the LL annual came about a year later and the Flash annual was 2 years later. and the 80 Page Giants came another year after that.........

NICE copy Ze. thumbsup2.gif

TY TYVM...

It is actually one of the nicer RAW squarebounds books I own. Spine is still prettysharp, and the color is really really nice.

The reason I bought the "MORE" secret origins was because I really got a kik out of the first ORIGINS book from '61.

The format just seems really kewl.

Like Harry's copy that he just posted.

Is it really 80 pages? I know it was a stand alone production, 1 shot type of thing.

My '61 Secret Origins is slabbed and I cant count the pages... confused.gif

Ze-

80 Pagers were a early collecting passion of mine when I re-entered collecting in the 80's. Go for a complete set of "Eighty Page Giants" 1-15, it's a doable collecting goal. I am still trying to get Superman annual 1,2,4,5 and 6. Superman anual 1 is the hardest annual to find, Rudolph is hard to find, but not so many people are looking for it.

Here is another interesting tidbit. Eight Page Giant #1 was originally slated to be Superman Annual #9, and was actually advertised as such in some 1965 DC's. Just look at the difference a number makes; it is worth so much more as a #1 than a #9. Also, Eighty pager #2 was going to be Jimmy Olsen annual #1, I think it was mentioned in a 1965 letter column of Jimmy Olsen as the "upcoming Jimmy Olsen annual". Same with #3, Lois Lane. I am pretty sure a Lois Lane letter column said that a certain story would be reprinted in the next Lois Lane annual.

Can you imagine how much 80 pager #7 would be worth if it was actually Sgt. Rock annual #1?

Last tidbit. Rudolph Annual 62/63 looks like it was going to be a regular sized comic, as the lead in story is all new, not a reprint; would have been the size of the regular issue. They must have made it an annual at the last moment by just adding some reprint content.

There WAS a Rock ANnual#1 - - Prize Battle Tales Annual.

and technically, I think we have to consider the Rudolf 80-pagers as DCs first Annuals... but Im perfectly happy to exclude them on a technicality that no one cares!!!