• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I love 80 Page Giants...

115 posts in this topic

I wouldn't call the Rudolph a ultra rare book, but it and the Superman Annual #1 are most definately the hardest to find 80 pagers. I have been looking for a nice 6.5-8.0 Superman Annual for quite awhile. shy.gif

HG Superman Ann #1s dont show up very often. A few years ago a 9.0 (still top of census) sold on Pacific Comics after being listed at 5K. Havent seen one since...

Hook, the Action #334 IS in the ad. It's entirely possible that I did buy it from that ad, or from a later owner of the book. Around that time I was concentrating on 80 Pagers, and scanned every ad in CBG for them. It's listed as NM/M, but that could be a 9.0 in today's standards.

I PM'd the pic to Steve, and asked him to show it to Mark.

Any response back from Steve and Mark yet, NM?

Ok, I'm curious now too. Did this mystery ever get solved?

Hook, the Action #334 IS in the ad. It's entirely possible that I did buy it from that ad, or from a later owner of the book. Around that time I was concentrating on 80 Pagers, and scanned every ad in CBG for them. It's listed as NM/M, but that could be a 9.0 in today's standards.

I can't imagine why, but neither Steve or Mark ever got back to me about it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Action Comics #55 has a back cover like that. It's the only DC Golden Age I've seen with a back cover advertising other DC books.

Post that baby in the GA thread I started on promos.

Okay. thumbsup2.gif

I've always loved the Annuals. Since I wasn't born when the original stories were printed, it seemed to me that the Annuals were the cheapest way to collect those stories from the 40s and 50s.

764559-RudolphAnn.jpg

764559-RudolphAnn.jpg.125b013c7cd013a24eb6654f8297ad94.jpg

Here's my second best copy.

764560-RudolphAnn_2.jpg

764560-RudolphAnn_2.jpg.7aa222bed8b0c663d223a75d3abd659e.jpg

I've always loved the Annuals. Since I wasn't born when the original stories were printed, it seemed to me that the Annuals were the cheapest way to collect those stories from the 40s and 50s.

764559-RudolphAnn.jpg

Love those Rudolf's, I've been picking them up here and there, fun and affordable. thumbsup2.gif

Here's my second best copy.

So YOU'RE the one hoarding all these Rudolphs! No wonder the rest of us can't find any copies!

Here are my contributions to this thread. The OAWs are both from the Pacific Coast collection.

721238-OAW164.jpg

721240-OAW177.jpg

80Page9cover.jpg

The 80pg Giant 9 is outstanding. That's a wonderful cover and white pages, too?

Did you pick up the Flash Ann 1?

The 80pg Giant 9 is outstanding. That's a wonderful cover and white pages, too?

Did you pick up the Flash Ann 1?

Thanks. I had a chance to do a deal for the 9.8 copy of #9 (PC copy, OW-W pages), but it was one of those rare occasions where I just didn't feel compelled to upgrade.

Yes, I have the Flash Annual 1, one of the first CGC'd books I purchased, actually.

The book I have NEVER found in high grade is the first Flash 80 Page Giant (#4?). I've seen 9.6 and 9.8 copies of most of the 80 Page Giants offered at various times, but this one never even in 9.2. Christo_pull_hair.gif

So YOU'RE the one hoarding all these Rudolphs! No wonder the rest of us can't find any copies!

Yeah, I can lord it all over you! poke2.gif

What do you have anyway? A couple of first appearances of of has-been super-hero teams? Who would want those?

Me.

sorry.gif

I was looking through some of my 80 pagers, thanks to this thread, and I came across this gem of a tale... It was in Batman #208:

File0010.jpg

Batman saves a wealthy socialite, and then proceeds to spank her while a photographer snaps away!

File0011.jpg

She seems to enjoy it so much, she begins following Batman around, and when he tells her "crimefighting is too dangerous for a girl", it gets her all hot and bothered!

File0012.jpg

Amazing... you just can't find stories like this anymore! laugh.gif

I can't imagine why, but neither Steve or Mark ever got back to me about it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

frown.gif

I wouldn't call the Rudolph a ultra rare book, but it and the Superman Annual #1 are most definately the hardest to find 80 pagers. I have been looking for a nice 6.5-8.0 Superman Annual for quite awhile. shy.gif

HG Superman Ann #1s dont show up very often. A few years ago a 9.0 (still top of census) sold on Pacific Comics after being listed at 5K. Havent seen one since...

Sold my copy of Superman Annual #1 to Crazy Ed last year. I picked up issues #1-6 from an original owner. The number one came back from CGC as a 7.0 OW.

Superman1.JPG